When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A project for Freddy maybe?

FxrAndy

If anyone is interested, NDtrading sells a red dial 6542 (I had been considering using this until I received the white 1)

DialRolex6542Red.jpg

(These dials are made to fit a gen 103x movement - they have no feet &, instead, clamp onto the pillar plate, so you cannot mod them for use with another movement unless its dimensions exactly match the 103x's)

(These dials are made to fit a gen 103x movement - they have no feet &, instead, clamp onto the pillar plate, so you cannot mod them for use with another movement unless its dimensions exactly match the 103x's)

Would dial dots work? I can't visualize the clamp system...

Would dial dots work? I can't visualize the clamp system...

In lieu of feet, these dials have a flange that runs perpendicular to the dial face which is pressed down around the outer edge of the movement's pillar (main) plate. The dial is held (onto the movement) by friction

103xdial0041.jpg

The dial's form also has a 2nd purpose, which is to hold the datewheel in place. Without the dial fitted, the datewheel would pop off the movement as soon as the date change mechanism trips. In addition to the 6542, early Subs & other 103x-based Rolex dials are made similarly (the dial pictured above is a 1050s DJ). And, yes, NDtrading's dial is made the same way.

I know. :drinks:

Hmmm........Originally, I had replied that I do not think the dial will fit your 1675's 1565 or 1575 movement. But, after checking my parts book, it turns out that the GMT versions of the 1565 & 1575 use the same pillar plate (part 8119), & the base movement upon which these GMT movements are based (the 1530) has the same diameter as the 1030 (28.50mm). So it just might fit the pillar.

The unknown is whether the components that reside on top of the 1675's pillar (which are made to fit a dial with feet) will allow the 103x dial to fit over them without disrupting the works. And, unfortunately, unless someone has experience in this area, there is only 1 way to find out.

Drat. I had the sneaking suspicion that was the answer.

Maybe I better calm down a little here and just fix instead what I've busted the last couple weeks, before tossing more coals on the fire. :g:

So how rare are these "red" GMTs?

So how rare are these "red" GMTs?

I have only seen pics of 2 known gens (the 1st was posted on VRF a couple of years ago & the 2nd pic from the link above). So I think it is safe to say they are rarer than white 6542s, which is about as rare as a rare thing can get. Probably, in the same rarefied class as the

YachtOriginal.jpg

(Yachtmaster Cosmograph)

Waiter, cancel that order!

I just realized there is a pic of a red '42 in 1 of my (brilliant) Japanese Rolex bookazines, which, assuming it is gen (& I have no reason to think otherwise), makes it the 3rd red '42 I have so far come across (so, maybe it is not quite as rare as a Yachtmaster Cosmo :g: ). In fact, this 1 also has a solid red GMT hand (they do exist & Rolex should have made them all this way because the standard small GMT is very difficult to see (probably why they went to the large hand in the later 1675)) & contains a depth rating printed (also in red) above the GMT Master text

red42.jpg

Although I cannot verify this new watch's authenticity, I have yet to discover anything in this Japanese publication (which is a virtual treasure trove of Rolex minutiae) that rings untrue. In fact, I wish these things were written in English (sorry, Japanese only), because they are chock full of text, which, based on the pics, I am sure go into great detail & could probably answer alot of questions

bookazine.jpg