When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Nights

TeeJay

I'd like to propose a new ongoing wristshot thread, but along a specific theme: Night out 'action' wristies. No stock photos, only fresh 'at the venue' pics taken while on a night out, and maybe a little write up about the event :)

I'm going to exercise OP privelage to break the rule and use an old shot, but only because it's the only one I have which is on theme to get the ball rolling... (Of course, Tudor counts as Rolex for the purposes of the thread and general Big Pimpin :yeah: )

IMG_0677.jpg

This was taken a while back while out with wifey and her skanksfriends.

• 1 month later...

Freddy-

Am I looking at the Beatles in that picture? :lol:

I think the night picture concept is a good one except that I don't know how to take a night picture. Hey, we might get some exciting night club pictures out of this though. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Night shots, especially wrist shots are pretty hard. If you use flash, with the dark background (Streets, countryside, etc.) the flash is going to wash out all the watch details. If you don't use flash, your exposure time is going to be so long the results will generally be blurry. Ideal situation would be in and area where there is enough light on the watch to get short exposure times and not too much that the action in the background is still fairly sharp (like Freddy's "Beetles" shot!

Here is mine. Cruise vacation, shot from the ship as we were leaving Curacao. Pretty crappy shot actually. I should have tried this one about 15-30 minutes earlier. Night falls fast in the tropics! What was weird, was the funny contrast on my arm. looks like it is streaked with dirt. It's really clean, just the camera/light combo.

I took my MBW Rolex 1680 on this trip, and I was very happy with my selection. It's waterproof enough that I didn't worry about getting it wet, and like all the vintage "plexi's" it's light and comfortable.

Curacao4a.jpg

Am I looking at the Beatles in that picture? :lol:

Nearly. Read this

I think the night picture concept is a good one except that I don't know how to take a night picture.

SLRs generally do much better in low light/darkness than a point-&-shoot, which is all I had with me that night.

But, in general, to compensate for the lack of light, you increase the camera's ISO (light sensitivity), which I set to 400 (as always, you should practice before taking The Picture so you can balance better light sensitivity vs grain (increased grain is a side-effect of increased ISO)) &/or use a flash. For 'The Beatles', I was too close to use a flash without blinding the group, so I just boosted the ISO & then processed as much of the grain out as I could in my image editor.

Nearly. Read this

SLRs generally do much better in low light/darkness than a point-&-shoot, which is all I had with me that night.

But, in general, to compensate for the lack of light, you increase the camera's ISO (light sensitivity), which I set to 400 (as always, you should practice before taking The Picture so you can balance better light sensitivity vs grain (increased grain is a side-effect of increased ISO)) &/or use a flash. For 'The Beatles', I was too close to use a flash without blinding the group, so I just boosted the ISO & then processed as much of the grain out as I could in my image editor.

One of the performances on our cruise a couple of weeks ago was a group called "Beetlemania" they were really good, the only one that didn't look the part was "Ringo" who was about 100 pounds heavier than the real Ringo. They packed the theatre and had folks dancing in the isles!!

Freddy,

You are absolutely right. I can say I'm probably one of just a few on this forum that saw them on the first Ed Sullivan show back in 1964! I was in college then and everyone in our dorm turned out to watch them. Little did we know at the time that they were the birth of a new era in music.

Little did we know at the time that they were the birth of a new era in music.

In fact, I remember standing in my bedroom after returning from the local premier of 'A Hard Day's Night', holding the black & white promo pic of the group & yellow souvenir ticket (both of which I still have here somewhere), wondering if I would still remember these guys (the Beatles) when I was 40 (40, as a young teen, was about as far into the future as I could comprehend). As you probably recall, the prevailing wisdom was that the Beatles, like most pop acts back then, were a fad that would quickly fade & be replaced by the next fad.

I was in 8th grade when the Beatles appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show. It was huge. My father was appalled! Then came the rest of the 'British Invasion'. I remember teen magazines doing stories like the Dave Clark 5 beating up the Beatles! I guess we were more violent then. In Chicago we were 'greasers'. Had my hair slicked back with a curl in front and a 'DA'. By my freshman year in college most everyone had gone to long hair, bell bottoms and Ty-died shirts. The 1968 Democratic Convention was a huge party right up until the end... 

On subject, does anyone know where this bar might be?

dflwVscvpSQxxgYsQhJ9BkpKgamesfree_ca_sexy_barmaid.jpg