When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Any long term health impact with rep rubber straps?

cougaree

Well, I guess we all agree that wearing rep straps won't kill us... still, we just don't know what's in them and that's why it makes sense to think about it for a sec... just my 2c... :animal_rooster:

Has anyone found that post on RG where a guy has examined the steel in different reps? That was pretty interesting!

I remember reading an article on the presence of phthalates in sex toys, which was interesting reading :) I've never been overly concerned about rep rubber straps, and nowadays, have been wearing a silicone strap. I think as mentioned above, the risk is very small as the skin is a barrier, and also, the straps are not (or at least, should not be) so tight as to be frictionlessly tight against the skin, so I would have thought any risk that there might be from the material would be negligible :)

Well, I guess we all agree that wearing rep straps won't kill us... still, we just don't know what's in them and that's why it makes sense to think about it for a sec... just my 2c... :animal_rooster:

Has anyone found that post on RG where a guy has examined the steel in different reps? That was pretty interesting!

If memory serves me, I believe RWG's very own BikeMike did a analysis on the different metal substanstences that make up are reps. Maybe he will chime In If he reads this thread.

Come on people rubber strap and things made of rubber has been in out for a longgggggg time. have ever heard of someone dying because a rubber band or a watch rubber band. we all be death by now.

Exactly.

These rubber straps are not designed to go around your neck. Just wear it on the wrist and you will be just fine.

I would think you don't have anything to worry about wearing them on your wrist...

If you wanted to hide your rubber strap where the sun don't shine to get through customs, you might want to remove the buckles, and maybe even the watch, depending on your mood... They can get quite scratchy.... :whistling:

If memory serves me, I believe RWG's very own BikeMike did a analysis on the different metal substanstences that make up are reps. Maybe he will chime In If he reads this thread.

The Metals in our reps are SS...not exactly 316L as our dealers advertised. At least the Daytona I destroyed was not. Non-the-less it was SS in the base form with some pretty funky inclusions.

Really unless your are highly allergic, or have a preexisting skin condition, I can

The Coke and Hookers will probably get to you before the toxins in your watch. LOL :lol::victory:

Oh, 2 more things to add to my list that were not on there! Thanks! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

.....and those WC,right Mike? :victory:

WC are with out a doubt more toxic then anything in our reps! By the way...they just open a WC withing stumbling distance from my place! :victory::thumbsupsmileyanim:

Yep - they contain tiny crystals of aluminium that transfer through the skin and build up in the surrounding tissues over time.

I'm technically [censored] as I have to wear a lot of antiperspirant because I'm a sweaty bastard :( lol

What annoys me most is that manufacturers are rolling out nanotechnology into these things (especially the 'no white marks' sort of sprays, from what I can tell, as well as sunscreen) yet as far as I'm aware there has been no long term assessment of how nano-particles absorb into the body over an extended period of usage. We are, basically, the guinea pigs while manufacturers make $$$$$$$$ in profit on an untested technology that may well be killing us in the long term. :g:

What do you mean, spray-on deodorants?

Basically, any anti-persperent/deodorant with aluminum, and other metals. Spray or Roll-On. (Studies suggest link to Alzheimer's/Cancer's)

Here's the thing: I too sweat a lot, but now only use the "hardcore" anti-persperent if I have a public speaking event, job interview/important meeting, or extended travel day.

90% of the time I wear no chemical based colognes, anti-persperent/deodorents, and never body sprays. Since I have stopped using anti-persperent, a funny thing happened, I actually sweat LESS. It will take your body a month or so to adapt and go back to working like it should, sans chemical aids.

You body is designed to sweat for a reason, and blocking this with toxic chemicals is not a good thing. Also, sweat in and of itself should be odorless (unless you eat lots of garlic). Body odor occurs when bacteria begins to grow on your skin, and often in the moist areas. To prevent bacteria, bath/shower regularly, and if you need an evening clean-up under the arms, just do it.

Tips/Tricks for kicking the Anti-P/Deo/Smelly chemical habit:

1.) Dress in layers when you can. T-Shits actually have a purpose under cloths to absorb the bacteria forming moisture and keep your outer layer dry.

2.) Bath/Shower daily, twice if you work-out that day.

3.) Quick under-arm wash after work, mid-day.

4.) Trick to kill bacteria odor-- (Road Warrior trick, devised after I forgot AP/D once) "Mouthwash" your arm-pits. (Dillute, or follow with water wipe down to eliminate sticky feeling)

Final public service announcement: sinus and allergy suffers really don't want to smell your cologne, AP/D, body sprays. Etiquette dictates you should only smell a person from an "Intimate Distance" = 1/2 inch away (Man or Women).

Basically, any anti-persperent/deodorant with aluminum, and other metals. Spray or Roll-On. (Studies suggest link to Alzheimer's/Cancer's)

Here's the thing: I too sweat a lot, but now only use the "hardcore" anti-persperent if I have a public speaking event, job interview/important meeting, or extended travel day.

90% of the time I wear no chemical based colognes, anti-persperent/deodorents, and never body sprays. Since I have stopped using anti-persperent, a funny thing happened, I actually sweat LESS. It will take your body a month or so to adapt and go back to working like it should, sans chemical aids.

You body is designed to sweat for a reason, and blocking this with toxic chemicals is not a good thing. Also, sweat in and of itself should be odorless (unless you eat lots of garlic). Body odor occurs when bacteria begins to grow on your skin, and often in the moist areas. To prevent bacteria, bath/shower regularly, and if you need an evening clean-up under the arms, just do it.

Tips/Tricks for kicking the Anti-P/Deo/Smelly chemical habit:

1.) Dress in layers when you can. T-Shits actually have a purpose under cloths to absorb the bacteria forming moisture and keep your outer layer dry.

2.) Bath/Shower daily, twice if you work-out that day.

3.) Quick under-arm wash after work, mid-day.

4.) Trick to kill bacteria odor-- (Road Warrior trick, devised after I forgot AP/D once) "Mouthwash" your arm-pits. (Dillute, or follow with water wipe down to eliminate sticky feeling)

Final public service announcement: sinus and allergy suffers really don't want to smell your cologne, AP/D, body sprays. Etiquette dictates you should only smell a person from an "Intimate Distance" = 1/2 inch away (Man or Women).

In the famous words of Stewie Griffin, "dont forget the taint [censored]" :D