When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Looking for a Paul Newman 6233

DaMan

There are no super high accuracy ones available "out of the box" because of issues like assymetrical chrono pusher requirements, dial spacing, and default bracelets. However, you can get them made using V72 (I think that's right...my brain is just waking up) movements and the like for substantial amounts of money, high end dials, etc...but these are expensive.

However, that doesn't mean you can't get a nice one. I have a manual wind (lemania aka Venus aka Seagull ST19) version that although has a frozen 6-o-clock subdial (the 12 hour totalizer doesn't work) is still a beautiful watch. These can be had for a very reasonable price, with a rock solid movement. You can see more pics of mine in the Seagull links in my signature.

Contact & ask this seller if he still offers this watch with a Daytona 6263 Oyster dial/pushers instead of his custom dial? For the money, they are easily the best buy (& most accurate) 62xxs available (there are several threads in this forum detailing the Daytona version of this watch that you can search out).

Also, the watch pictured in your post is not a Paul Newman. It is a standard 6263 dial.

"However, that doesn't mean you can't get a nice one. I have a manual wind (lemania aka Venus aka Seagull ST19) version that although has a frozen 6-o-clock subdial (the 12 hour totalizer doesn't work) is still a beautiful watch. These can be had for a very reasonable price, with a rock solid movement."

They are bargains. I have had one for 3 years with no trouble other than a loose screw on a lever. I do not wear it often but it surprises me at the accuracy and quality for such a small amount of $$.

Otoh...the case on mine is oversize and uses a 20mm bracelet. If the case was a bit smaller and used 19mm bracelet, it would be a favorite.

I do not know if any of today's ST19 Seagull watches come with smaller cases and 19mm bracelets or not.

They are bargains. I have had one for 3 years with no trouble other than a loose screw on a lever. I do not wear it often but it surprises me at the accuracy and quality for such a small amount of $$.

Otoh...the case on mine is oversize and uses a 20mm bracelet. If the case was a bit smaller and used 19mm bracelet, it would be a favorite.

I do not know if any of today's ST19 Seagull watches come with smaller cases and 19mm bracelets or not.

Ditto. They are wonderful movements. The main issue (besides being a bi-compax where the gen is tri-compax) is whether you can get an accurate dial to fit? Although I have never tried, I am pretty sure you can tailor a DW (or similar) 62xx case to fit the movement, but the dials they come with have inaccurately sized subdials & I do not know if their pinion arrangement matches either the V72 or 7750

dwvenus0011.jpg

(Seagull-powered rep at left, A7750-powered DW at right)

Nice watches, Hike!

I do a lot of research in the last days and now I can see clearly what I really want ^^

It's a 6241 with correct pushers, dial and bracelet.

Trusty offers one that is close but the bezel printing looks very poor and the register and logo size is wrong. I am not sure if I can get a better one that fits the 39mm case. And of course I am not able to change it myself.

I asked Spinmaster and he told me the dial is not available, but offered he can do a custom dial for me. Now I am waiting for his answer about correct pushers, bracelet and maybe another manual movement with correct 37mm case.

If someone have another idea or bought one 6241 before, please let me know.

Kind regards from germany!

post-10819-044549200 1285317953.jpg

Contact DW to see if he is still offering his A7750-powered 62xx Daytonas (I posted a couple of threads detailing my modified DW 6263 a couple of years ago that you can search out)? These have the correct asymmetrical pusher arrangement & case size/shape. Although the subdials are slightly smaller than on the gen watches, they are close enough that I can wear my 6239 & 6263 without feeling like my fly is open. :whistling:

On the other hand, if you want a 62xx Daytona that is (externally) nearly indistinguishable from the gen, you have only 2 choices - buy a gen or build your own V72-powered franken, which is expensive (about $3k+ for parts if you include gen components), frustrating (search out any of the threads detailing the construction of a DW Daytona) & highly recommended (if you are prepared to accept the previous 2 issues).

Gorilladame, DW's 6263 parts, including A7750, should not cost more than $200. If you're including the cost of a gen crystal, crown &c., I believe Spinmaster can provide those, but at an additional cost on top of his $600-650.

A lot of money can be saved by buying direct, but avoiding the assembly headaches and weeks (or months) of subsequent reliability issues is worth the premium for many people.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...