When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex as status symbol or just "a plain dependable watch"?

freddy333

The mere fact that this question provokes such passionate discussion is very interesting to me... In my limited experience, having admired luxury watches from afar and only fairly recently gotten into the rep world, it seems that they really are the truest reflection of status, and Rolex have certainly captured that essence through clever marketing and positioning and, let's be honest, their watches aren't bad ;)

In terms of comments, the Breitlings always get comments like 'what are those numbers around the end for?', the Panerai always gets the 'why is that metal circle covering the windy bit for?' but for me the skeletonisation reflects the true artistry and passion of mechanical watches, watching the escapement oscillate back and forth is utterly mesmerizing... Mechanical watches are cool ;o)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If, for the most part, a Rolex is a status symbol at least of some sort, then would a vintage Rolex be less of a status symbol to those outside our circle? If you're wearing a `50s or `60's or even a `70s model does the rest of the world still say 'Oh, A Rolex!' or is that reserved for the new ones with ceramic bezels and not the well-worn vintaged looking ones? Does Ebay or inheritance take some of that status away?

If, for the most part, a Rolex is a status symbol at least of some sort, then would a vintage Rolex be less of a status symbol to those outside our circle?

To civilians (non-WIS types), I suppose an old-looking anything (including a Rolex) carries a bit less cache than a sparking new-looking anything (including a Rolex). Example - a shiny new Cadillac looks alot more expensive than an old, beat-up rusted-out 1974 Caddie. But, to the more enlightened in that group, an older, well-worn Rolex may appear more authentic owing to the fact that most people think rep watches break (& get tossed) within days of purchase. So, the thinking goes, if the watch is old, it must be real

3s20212__-2_tonemapped1.jpg

(Real)

Does Ebay or inheritance take some of that status away?

No.

To civilians (non-WIS types), I suppose an old-looking anything (including a Rolex) carries a bit less cache than a sparking new-looking anything (including a Rolex). Example - a shiny new Cadillac looks alot more expensive than an old, beat-up rusted-out 1974 Caddie. But, to the more enlightened in that group, an older, well-worn Rolex may appear more authentic owing to the fact that most people think rep watches break (& get tossed) within days of purchase. So, the thinking goes, if the watch is old, it must be real

True, but a restored `74 Cadillac makes people's heads turn!

If the thinking does go that "if the watch is old, it must be real", I like that! It makes sense, too.

So, would you say among 'civilians' a vintage is the same, or slightly less status than a new?

In my circle, age and position, I'm never questioned. Kind of nice 'comes with the territory' thing. In a business surrounding I'd think, but don't know, that there would be a pecking order of sorts. Too young, and/or obviously not the right level of success/income and the watch would be assumed as a rep or the person is irresponsible to overspend like that. Take away status. A seasoned person, successful sales, etc., and I think it would be accepted and be tops in status.

By the way, nice watch!

Edited by JoeyB

If, for the most part, a Rolex is a status symbol at least of some sort, then would a vintage Rolex be less of a status symbol to those outside our circle? If you're wearing a `50s or `60's or even a `70s model does the rest of the world still say 'Oh, A Rolex!' or is that reserved for the new ones with ceramic bezels and not the well-worn vintaged looking ones? Does Ebay or inheritance take some of that status away?

I think Freddy answered the question perfectly, but, something I would like to add to that, is don't forget, the name Rolex itself. Sure, a vintage watch might look like a beaten POS to a civilian, so they'd be less likely to comment on it, and if they were, said owner might say "It's my dad's/granddad's Rolex he wore during *insert war of choice here*" and the instant the civilian hears the R-Word, their opinion of the watch will go through the roof. Not because it's old, not because it is an inherited item with sentimental value and a load of stories it could tell, but because it's 'a Rolex', and those are magic words to hear. Once, an ex-fiance who knew I liked watches, in conversation, said "One day, I'm going to buy you a Rolex." Things didn't work out, people move on, shit happens, but those words were magic. Didn't matter what model she might have one day planned on buying (at that point, I couldn't've named or distinguished between any Rolex model) what mattered, that she was going to by me 'A Rolex'. That's how civilians think of Rolex watches. Not about the history, not even about the actual value, but brand-name recognition :)

It really depends. To me a watch is a status symbol. Day to day basis I wear my beloved Seiko or maybe even Omega for more serious business. When its dress to impress it's a different story. The watch I choose depends on the people you're about to meet. If it's a club night then it's rolex. Most recognizable watch throughout all the social classes. When it's a posh cocktail party, it will be Patek Phillipe or a Breguet. In addition, we watch aficionados know all our friends by their watches, so if I know what they are wearing I will try to wear a watch of similar standard. Generates more discussion and people tend to like you more if you share a common interest.

But I do like watches because of their aesthetics. Some of my favorites include cheap quartz watches that just look cool and special.

When buying a watch, you buy the BRAND. Everything works that way. I just bought some no-name pots and pans from Tesco, £5 per item. The day before, a new pair of jeans £30. If it had been Tefal or True Religion I'd have payed much, much more. As your income increases, you can't be bothered to read the small print and need jeans that will fit on first try, look good and maybe smell nice.

Edited by Omegaz

It really depends. To me a watch is a status symbol. Day to day basis I wear my beloved Seiko or maybe even Omega for more serious business. When its dress to impress it's a different story. The watch I choose depends on the people you're about to meet. If it's a club night then it's rolex. Most recognizable watch throughout all the social classes. When it's a posh cocktail party, it will be Patek Phillipe or a Breguet. In addition, we watch aficionados know all our friends by their watches, so if I know what they are wearing I will try to wear a watch of similar standard. Generates more discussion and people tend to like you more if you share a common interest.

But I do like watches because of their aesthetics. Some of my favorites include cheap quartz watches that just look cool and special.

When buying a watch, you buy the BRAND. Everything works that way. I just bought some no-name pots and pans from Tesco,

As I said already here -I don't want to gererate a new polemic- here, in France we have 2 category of Rolex wearer.

Modern shinny Rolex like fat and ugly DSSD, new ceramic line, Daytonas etc. are worn by... I will say posers. Especially those clothes merchands, they like everything shinny and they speak loud. For a lot of watch lowers, modern Rolex watches in France are synonymous of vulgarity

Second category are vintage collectors making a business with this

Personally, I like only vintage, no homage, I like the perfect replica with the Rolex name, I like them for the style and design. A few years ago I said I will never buy a gen. Now I am looking for a 5513 and a 1675. I have the money for this, just have to find the right 100% genuine stuff.

But these Rolex vintage are also a myth, except the classic old Submariner which was used by divers, the "tool watch" concept is only marketing. The GMT for exemple, I fly as professional since 30 years -20 years on DC8 and 747- I never seen someone using a Rolex GMT in a flight desk... we have better watches and chronos as panel instruments

Same for Daytona, Omega was chosen by the NASA, not Rolex. the reality is : Rolex vintage cosmographs are poser chronographs, just good in movies, not in the real life. But this being said, I like them better than Omega, its the design and the myth

Edited by Rolexaddict

Don't tell Newman that

for-a-dr.html"]click this (& be sure you are wearing not 1, but 2 sets of Pampers (diapers)) :whistling:

I have seen the video. And ? thats just to impress teens, the most important for women are balls, not a sport car and a Rolex watch :1a:

I am not really impressed by Paul Newman, just a movie actor, and to old now for car races performances, paid by the Rolex company to wear a Daytona,

nor convicted by Mercedes sport cars, this is just for posers.

I am retired now, and I have bought a bicycle :lol:

I have to ask what watch do you wear when riding a bicyle? :D

At the end of the day Rolex is like any other luxury brand. The watch is what you want it to be. For some it is aspirational. For others it is simply a tool watch - whether part of a business suit uniform or on the wrist of a diver. Rolex has a rich heritage important to some but not others.

@Rolexaddict - you mentioned you are in France, therefore-- [you] must hate Rolex because, as you have indicated-- only a certain ethnic type (in France) or douche-bags wear them.

So my question is- why do you call yourself "Rolexaddict" ???? Inquiring minds want to know. I'm confused... pardon.gif

I have seen the video. And ? thats just to impress teens, the most important for women are balls, not a sport car and a Rolex watch :1a:

I am not really impressed by Paul Newman, just a movie actor, and to old now for car races performances, paid by the Rolex company to wear a Daytona,

nor convicted by Mercedes sport cars, this is just for posers.

I have to ask- What is the view like when looking down your nose at other people?

It must be extraordinary as I notice you seem to do it quite often...

Well, you win. Chicks love guys with a big Schwinn. :whistling:

:lol: equality, 1 point everywhere

So my question is- why do you call yourself "Rolexaddict" ???? Inquiring minds want to know. I'm confused... pardon.gif

Dont be confused, the life is to short to care about forums pseudonyms or avatars B)

Myself I am confused with males using girls pictures as avatars, :lol:

Rolexaddict is because I have an addiction for vintage Rolex watches and goodies -vintage only- but i will change for RWG (Real Virtual Guy) :lol:

I have to ask- What is the view like when looking down your nose at other people?

It must be extraordinary as I notice you seem to do it quite often...

.[censored]. only .[censored]. That's I see when I look down my podium . Just kidding.

I see people who sink themselves in a glass of water, or don't stand back enough to assess an event