When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Paneristi is going bonkers,bananas whatever you like to call it

Dani

I think I posted in the wrong post before, apologies: more relevant here:

I was a contributor early on, and no one supported the forum except Guy. Let's not get out of hand on the facts and rumors. Really, please don't bash. It only serves to perpetuate a bad opinion of rep builders and collectors. In the spirit of good taste...you people r better than this even with all the easy criticism nonsense that has happened over there.

I'm sorry to see the place the way it is. Early on the brand was priced Inexpensively for a Swiss watch, so many could afford. The price point of the reps are price at half the 1993-1997 prices. I could afford back then. Now all I can afford are follies, reps and nice historic pateks. The only thing going for the brand at this point is loyalty. Good or bad, those are the forums such as risti.com.

Those loyalty custom models ruined the forum IMO. Despite panerais press, Panerai remains a novelty brand. They're not rolex,jlc, Patek, or Lange.

Enjoy your watches and craftsmanship to copy because that in itself is a wonderful artform. Just look at the painters of past....relish your role and move past the bash.

Thx for reading -d

I was a contributor early on, and no one supported the forum except Guy. Let's not get out of hand on the facts and rumors. Really, please don't bash. It only serves to perpetuate a bad opinion of rep builders and collectors. In the spirit of good taste...you people r better than this even with all the easy criticism nonsense that has happened over there.

I'm sorry to see the place the way it is. Early on the brand was priced Inexpensively for a Swiss watch, so many could afford. The price point of the reps are price at half the 1993-1997 prices. I could afford back then. Now all I can afford are follies, reps and nice historic pateks. The only thing going for the brand at this point is loyalty. Good or bad, those are the forums such as risti.com.

Those loyalty custom models ruined the forum IMO. Despite panerais press, Panerai remains a novelty brand. They're not rolex,jlc, Patek, or Lange.

Enjoy your watches and craftsmanship to copy because that in itself is a wonderful artform. Just look at the painters of past....relish your role and move past the bash.

Thx for reading -d

Interesting point... thanks for sharing ;)

Come on that is what we need the first ever perfect at version 1 rep, make it this, closed back handwind easy watch, we will help get it right first time, come on rep factory, this is the gauntlet and it is bouncing off the floor!!!!!!!

WE NEED THAT WATCH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thx for reading -d

Great post, thanks for sharing.

Agreed on the don't bash point.

These are, after all, the people who introduced you to the watch you have grown to love.

It is a shame to see this happen but for a limited watch run I would have distributed it in the same manner, the inner sanctum, the guys that have been long time supporters are in fact the people who should benefit.

Ken

Picking up on D's point, I am certainly not bashing the guys on Risti nor do I sense anyone here is. (For the record I am a member there)

I think in our own way we are pointing out how easily a great forum with some great members can easily fall apart when egos become bruised and promises (however given) are broken.

I think it highlights to me how much I appreciae this forum and the sense of community it brings, other forums I am and have been a member of, do have cliques or inner circles and if I am honest this forum does to a certain extent. However in these other forums it tends to be used in a more negative way and can be very ostricising to new, irregular members or less senior members. I have found that here and on a couple of other forums that those 'inner circles' or cliques or whatever you want to cal them actually benefit those new and irregular users. They are seen by many including my self as a source of support and balance to the community and indeed benefit the whole of the membership here.

I have seen some posts on Risti by new members or less knowledgeable members that have been completely ripped apart by more senior members and in turn other members have joined in to put the boot in on the poor OP or of course they can also be just simply ignored. I have never seen an example of that here by senior members nor have I seen them allow it when another member has made that mistake.

The growing influence some of these Risti guys have had has probably been influential in a lot of the current approach and attitude to general members on the Risti forum, and exacerbated by their hangers on who treat the PAM as a staus symbol rather than a great design with a rich history, and this has only been highlighted by the release of the "special" watch.

I dont doubt most of these guys love their watches and still enjoy all the aspects of this great hobby but maybe they have just forgotten why they are where they are and what brought them there and why the forum was actually created 'for everyone and anyone from any background to come together and enjoy and share their love of a great watch brand and make friends'

I feel that is something this forum and its senior members have not lost sight of.... For that I am grateful and very glad to be a member here on RWG and to have been able to get to know such a great bunch of guys from the newest to the longest serving members...from the knowledgeable to the novice..... from the rich to the less well off.... from the funny to the serious This is a great place to be and share a common love of watches not just reps as some may think

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

Excellent points Pete. This forum and the 'risti forum are two completely different living communities. This forum is meant to share information on a shared interest. It works as intended. While we all enjoy the brand, it is the intent and objective for Panerai to build market exclusivity or a sense of demand whether real or not. So the more direct access one has to that company guarantees a segregation and perception of access. So the 'risti forum has become a marketing tool of Panerai. Risti.com lost it's identity when it got direct access to the company. Making a 'special' watch only reinforced this 'pyramid schemy perception'. So they have classes of groups. While they claim 30k members, what % is turnover and what is core?

There are good people from the old guard. I have the highest regard for one of the owners and I'm pretty sure he's not ok about the direction of the board. One of the other owners has been using the board to promote personal causes. Not at all the real intent of a good forum community. Too bad. Too sad ohh well :-)-d

Thanks D,

I understand your point on the purpose and should of mentioned in what I said, about the promotion of the brand. But as I hope I mentioned my understanding from the information on Risti was it was not overtly set up for that reason though that may of been a hidden agenda (which I dont doubt). I found this in the archive written by Guy during the creation of Risti back in the day....

This site is intended to be a central repository for Panerai information, news and opinion. It is free for all to use. If you find it useful then the best way to ensure its further existence is to contribute on the forum, gallery or archive sections.

and he went on to say

While Officine Panerai are aware of the site, this site does not have any official sanction from the manufacturer.

Now I agree that has changed but my point I was hoping to make was it started out with the same ethos as RWG even though Risti is brand specific and now that ethos has become something else.....

I think we were once the same communities in terms of ethos but as I said earlier the Risti ethos has been driven in a different direction by those inner groups within it and perpetuated by the egos that have followed...

Hence why I tried to make the points I did about the true community of this forum...

Pete, I agree fully with everything you've said. I hope I didn't imply this forum is at risk of losing it's ethos. My point was more of unintended consequences of that board.

Risti.com has overtly become the branding arm of Panerai whether directly funded or not. Panerai has bribed through other means. So much so that forum owners are overly concerned about their perception to outside publicity....

D, Sorry mate. My fault I didnt want you to think I thought that at all. I have nothing but respect for your opinions and views mate

Really the only point I wanted to make in my reply to your comment (This forum and the 'risti forum are two completely different living communities), was at one time RWG and Risti austensibly were the same (and are still suppose to be if you believe the Risti hype!!) they were both setup in the main to create all of the things we have both mentioned before, (the same ethos) but in my first post I was making the point that, this has changed mainly through the way the inner circles had taken the forum (Risti) in another direction bordering on Elitist. Of course the influence of OP on that has not helped but in turn and regardless it is no excuse for the way the average member is treated by some of the egos using that board and the fact they have lost sight of what a community is all about.

Dont misunderstand me Risti is a good forum and can be enjoyable and informative, but it could be so much more like it was..

And in turn how grateful I am that the more senior guys here have not allowed that to happen. Here the inner circles, the senior core members (or however you wish to describe it) still ensure that a negative tiering of the membership does not happen.

Of course there is a hierarchy but its a positive influence and non elitist in the sense of what is happening on Risti, which saddens me. It is I believe a hierarchy of respect rather than of post counts and length of membership or indeed the number or value of the watches owned!!!

The best example I think I could give of this would be this thread........ All you guys who are members on Risti know how a thread like this would of been treated over there by the powers that be but similar issues discussed here are allowed to develop, indeed they are encouraged, and when they take place they are an open and level debate and opinions are welcomed regardless of whose opinion it may be...

+ 1 Pete

i feel alot more comfortable here then on any of the other boards rep or gen) that i am a member of or troll. rep or gen.. the guys here love watches and the knowledge that is present here is awesome and the interchange is always pleasent and inspiring! a wristwatch is a wristwatch, it keeps time and is a marvel of engineering and mechanics whether rep or gen.. the guys HERE know that.