When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1680 Red Sub

panerai153

A few weeks ago, I posted photos of this Red Sub that i got in trade for another watch from a guy in Mexico who unfortunately screwed over a few folks here before he disappeared, me included. The watch was supposed to have a genuine Rolex crown included as the package deal. Alas, when the package arrived, the genuine crown was no where to be found.

This is the newer version (Puretime) of the 1680 with a slow beat 2846 movement. Supposedly the seller had reworked the CG's and done a few other things, which may or may not have been done. Aside from the too fat CG's, the worst fault is the huge crown. Well, I found a genuine crown and Clarks tube from one of our great members and sent it up to The Zigmeister for a swap. Actually, i had no intention of keeping this one, figuring to move it along as soon as it was brought up to snuff. Well, as in a lot of cases, I got it back, and I am now torn between sellnig or keeping, with the bias toward keeping it for a while.

When I got it back, I put it on the bracelet I got from JoJo35 with the "Fantasy" clasp. Makes a pretty nice combination. Here are some before and after photos of the 1680.

First the "before" with the original crown/tube which were awful!!

RedSub4.jpg

RedSub3.jpg

Now here it is after the genuine crown and tube were installed.

1680c.jpg

1680-1.jpg

1680b.jpg

1680a.jpg

I like it! I like it a lot!!! I almost pulled the trigger on Jojo's fantasy clasp bracelet for my 1680 as well, but unfortunately let it go too long and missed it :doh: I couldn't make up my mind if it would look good or not. Well sir, you have proven me very, very wrong!! It looks fantastic! Nicely done!!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

FYI: For anyone who may be interested, I have another one of those bracelets I'll be putting up for sale very soon.

Alligoat, thanks for posting up pics of the real thing. In fact, I have a gen meters first dial up for sale now in case someone wanted to buy both and build the ultimate "water polo" rep :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The dial is SO much nicer than the MBW version. I think it's very nice red 1680 for the money.

The outer guards can be shaven very easily with a sandpaper. Then just polish them with Unipol or something...

Check Alligoat's gen... the gen guards should be both thinner & spikier. They look like "chops". There's less curvature at the end (on the guard tops... just shave them).

Looking good!

I am in a project with one of these now. Those CG's have may been opened a little by the previous owner? but the outsides look original as previously stated.

Mine is in the opposite condition just now.....outsides shaped a little, but insides to still be done.....below as is now.

SDC13117.jpg

My piece is now in bits on the deskready for ;

inner CG trim (and maybe outer a litle more now I have read this?)

Clark 127 crystal swap

used gen bezel insert swap

used gen 703 ref crown swap

PLEASE help me guys........I am quite new to all this. Case set is stripped down and movement out etc. How do I get the crystal out? Is the retainer ring around the crystal (that accepts the bezel) holding it in, or what? I know its a noob question but my first Sub strip down!! Ha ha.

:whistling:

Personally, I believe that these are great value for money reps and an excellent base for a pretty decent build - maybe not in the league of some Frankens on here, but good enough for me.

Enjoy your piece and be brave....get sanding! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

SDC13113.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

PLEASE help me guys........I am quite new to all this. Case set is stripped down and movement out etc. How do I get the crystal out? Is the retainer ring around the crystal (that accepts the bezel) holding it in, or what? I know its a noob question but my first Sub strip down!! Ha ha.

Well done! And you're exactly right... the ring around the crystal is what's holding it on the case. Use a one-sided razor blade and tap it gently in beneath that ring on one side to lift it a little. Then work your way around the case, lifting as you go, until the ring and crystal come off.

Reassembly is helped with a tiny bit of silicon grease (or vaseline) smeared on both sides of the crystal, in and out, at its very base. Set the crystal in place on the case, then press the ring back down until everything is well seated. A little grease will ooze out, letting you know all the nooks and crannies are filled, so that interface is most likely waterproof again.

FWIW, I use a frozen hockey puck with a hole in the middle as my "press" to push the ring back on. They're only $1 each so you can build a whole assortment for the different sizes.