When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

what is the big deal.with gen springbars?

Prsist

Also when you compare a drilled case side with gen spring bars installed against a standard rep the difference is dramatic, also on the vintage case the ease of removing a bracelet take seconds with gen bars installed. It can some times be a pain drilling the lugs and the end links and last link of the bracelet but it is worth it, if you need lugs enlarged i have a good set up to do it.

one i did the other day

DSCF1685.jpg

and some others

DSCF1308.jpg

you may notice that the top two cases were drilled at 1.5mm which is a little large the botom case is 1.3mm which is a far better size from looks and fit. I am so happy with the 1.3mm setup i have now in conjunction with my jig that drilling lus is a brease.

Made mine my self

DSCF0854.jpg

teinnind with a good drill pres x y table and some hss thick shaft drills cooling oil and a steady hand

That's great...can you show the other aspects??? I'm assuming 2 sides to clamp in tight with the screw. Is it wood or brass??

Do you hold it freehand on the drill press or do you clamp it to the press table??

Thanks for showing this.

There's one primary reason why I use gen bars- Strength. I've had some watches come in with aftermarket bars that had their springs fail after a couple of compressions between my index finger and thumb. The pivot would just collapse inside the tube body. With gen bars, you can press the pivots in over and over and over again and they still retain their strength.

There's one primary reason why I use gen bars- Strength.....With gen bars, you can press the pivots in over and over and over again and they still retain their strength.

Ditto. Also, gens tend to have stronger internal springs, which translates into more outward tension, which translates into keeping the springbar in place better & longer with less change of a springbar failure leading to a dropped/lost watch. :whistling:

So gen springbars are different than the kind I can pick up from a watch smith? They are actually ntamd labeled springbars? I've seen several websites and jewelers sell them.

Gen springbars are gen spring bars - many sell so called 'same spec as gen - but I have not found any yet that match.

Dimensions are the same etc - 2 big differences I have found are -

spring strength and memory retention - to fit you have to compress the centre bar a long way, many rep/gen bars have weak springs that lose their memory/resistance very quickly - downside is that the bar does not protrude through the lug hole on one of the sides!

Bar tips can be more rounded and polished on gens if you want that look and who doesn't.

If you find a source at reasonable prices, other than Rolex AD - please share!

I have tried the ebay suppliers, Yuki and others - none compare in my experience.

Buy the seller before you buy the part. That is the best way to (help) insure you receive what you expect. That said, I have recently noted that many generally good/reliable gen sellers are (unknowingly) selling aftermarket parts. Even the best of us can be fooled sometimes. The only way to guarantee a genuine Rolex part is to get it directly from Rolex or a watchmaker within the official Rolex network (which can only be verified by checking with Rolex).

It is definitely getting tough out there, folks.