When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bond Sub 6538 - 2-line dial vs. 4-line dial

Whatever123

The 6538 was produced from 1954 - 1959. The first two years it did not bear the "OCC" designation on the dial, and was not C.O.S.C. chronometer certified. The last 3 years of its production they added "Officially Certified Chronometer" to the dial. All years of production carried a depth rating of 200m/660ft.

Curiously, nothing had changed to give it the OCC designation; it used the 1030 movement during its entire brief career.

The 6536 also appeared during this time, with a smaller Twinlock crown and less extreme depth rating: 100m/330ft.

4_sm.jpg

Freddy how the hell do you know all these little facts

Lucky guess :whistling:

(& 2.5 decades of watch collecting.)

And Which Military was this issued to and if i happen to find one in the back of my sock draw how much should i ask for it

I am not positive about this, but I believe they were issued to the British Navy &, based on the prices of 5517s, I suppose you could probably ask whatever you want since there are only about a handful (at most) of them about.

Slipping? Nah, at least not in this case. The thread subject was the 6538, which is what I limited my comments to. Now, if you want to open things up to the entire range of vintage Submariners (all of which can trace their lineage back to the 6202 Turn-O-Graph, a model, as you know, that is particularly close to my heart)........... :whistling:

• 2 months later...

If I may chime in rather than creating a new thread, I have a question more along the lines of the 2 line dial and the text colors. In the movie, it looks like the depth rating is yelowish like the other words, but on all the other dials I've seen offered, it's white. Any insight?

• 8 months later...
I have a question more along the lines of the 2 line dial and the text colors. In the movie, it looks like the depth rating is yelowish like the other words, but on all the other dials I've seen offered, it's white. Any insight?

The yellowish print is called gilt, which is essentially gold leaf. The early Sub dials were made for Rolex by 2-3 dial companies, which is why some of the details vary.

Where could one source the lollipop seconds hand from? Also, what size is the original dial(diameter)

No idea of the size, but a number of parts sellers have them. Here is 1.

Not "inside" but rather "under". The dial is mashed up against the backside of the rehaut. There's a tiny bit of overlap there. Most people don't realize how thin these things are.

This is a 6mm crown we're looking at, before its pilgrimmage to UbiLand for a Brevet swap.

1.jpg

I found one case from Trevor that I had an issue with the rehaut placement. It was fine from 12 through 9 but from 10 though 11 it was off a tiny bit. Had to sand down using a disc to "even it" out.

E

I recall Donerix built a 6542 and he dealt with the wokky rehaut using sandpaper and got a killer nice result.