When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Josh 1655 + Clark 116 - Need help getting bezel on.

pr0digy30

Well... did my first ever crystal swap and it was on the Josh 1655.

New Clark 116 crystal looks great... one problem, I can't seem to get the bezel back on. No matter what I try, by hand or using a big die on my crystal press, it seems to sink on one side making it impossible to make it flush around the rest of it.

Is there a technique I am missing somewhere... or is it an incompatibility issue?

The Clark crystal inside diameter may be a smidgen too small, or its outside diameter may be a smidgen too large, so it's taking too much force to press on the bezel. I'm usually in favor of a tight fit for water resistance, but too much of a good thing, in this case, may crack the crystal.

As a comparison for "force", I usually use a couple hockey pucks, one frozen with a hole in the middle, and I make a sandwich and squeeze the retaining rings on with my bare hands. If I can't make it go on that way, it's too tight. If it goes on too easy, something's wrong.

You might try reducing the thickness of the Clarks a fraction and see if that helps. Or try sanding the inside diameter of the bezel a little. Or try smearing a small bit of silicon grease around the outside base of the crystal, and a little on the inside of the bezel. That will slip them together better and when the excess oozes out it proves those parts have an interference fit, and are likely watertight.

Good luck!

By no means recommending this approach and too much force could lead to some bad things like cracking the crystal, I have had luck with the following approach when the crystal press wouldn't do the trick. With the case fully disassembled, take a pair of adjustable bite pliers and place a nice soft cloth in between the case and the teeth so you don't mar your case. Then work around pressing slightly, then move a bit and press, move a bit and press. Eventually getting it seated. You may have to make a few 360 degree passes and don't want to bring any spot down too much at one time.

Obviously, if it is taking a lot of elbow grease to push the bezel down, you probably have to do some sanding.

Thanks for the suggestions... did some silicone on the bezel and outside of crystal... no dice.

The ID of the crystal is good... it pretty much just snapped on with just the right feeling of force.

I'd rather reduce the OD of the crystal if it's possible to do without marring it. Don't really want to sand the bezel in case I decide to franken it down the road and then find the bezel not snug enough with a Gen 116 on it.

In light of that, what would be the best way to thin out the OD of the crystal and not having it look like someone took 330 grit to it? :whistling:

Might be time to invest in a $10 pair of calipers.

Cousins UK shows two 116 crystals, one with a 30.0mm OD and another with a 30.2mm OD. The cyclops are also positioned differently- one 98 from the CL and the other 87.

http://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/4/494/1957.aspx

Wow - I never realised that! I have got a Cousins 116 and a Clark 116 on the desk ready for a similar 1655 josh based project now. I will have to investigate and measure with the digi calipers to see what I have and how they compare. I will post some dimensions later.

I do know a Cousins 116 will fitthe josh case and bezel cos a friend of mine has already built one. Tight in the case very) and OK on the bezel from memory?

I'll be back with more.....

Don't worry about compatability issues with the gen 116 crystal. I put one on my 1655 and when I tried to put the bezel on, I had the same problem you had. You've got to either sand down the crystal sides or the bezel. Or really force it on and risk cracking the crystal. I sanded the insides of my bezel to get it to fit.

Nanuq is right,

For exemple on 1675 building with the Josh's 1655 case :

the 25-116 from Clark is the more close from specs. Avoid those from OFrei, inside diameter is to small and the cyclop position is off.

The 116 from Clark fits very well the 1655 wall but you need to remove - a lot - material from the outside bottom of the plexi to stack the bezel ring retainer.

You need to play arround, the retaining ring doesn't be loose but not fitted to tight at the same time. If you fit to tight, the retaining ring could extend and/or be twisted (the stainless steel is tensile) and even 1/25 of a mm will prevent the 1675 bezel to turn free

2 new girls in my watch box, both are built with the Josh's 1655 as background

P1030285.jpg

new2.jpg