When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Valjoux 72 - Zodiac on eBay

chrgod

I stumbled across this vintage, beaten-up Zodiac Sea-Chron chronograph on eBay, and it is worth a tip. Although it is not described in the ad, I think it has a desirable Valjoux 72 movement. I could be a nice grab for someone looking to build a vintage Daytona rep, and due to the odd listing it might go cheap. :)

Unfortunately for us in "the old world", there is no shipping outside the US, and the eBay-nazies would not let me contact the seller...

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-ZODIAC-CHRONOGRAPH-WRISTWATCH-/160507543628?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item255efec04c

I remembered reading about a Daytona-franken with a Zodiac V72 movement some time ago. Here is the old post from RWG Sales Corner.

Good luck, if someone bids! :victory:

I thought the going rate for anything with a 72 in it was $1000-$1200 just for the movement. Someday I will buy one but for now I will bask in the glory of my DW which is just in for service but still functioning well after 5 years. :D

While you can certainly spend over a grand, you still can find them on the bay for as little as $650 - $700 if you have patience and are willing to look around a bit.

Will depend on condition, the brand of the donor watch, whether or not the seller actually lists them as a v72, or if they claim to have been serviced.

It also helps to know the in-house movement numbers from some of the brands because there are sellers that don't know what they really have. I also keep a list of those watches (Certina, Gallet, Clebar, etc.) that I see advertised with a v72 and then look for sales posts without the movement listed in the description for those watches later. To find a deal on the bay anymore, you have to get creative.

PS ... the guy re-listed it as a private auction for a specific person and it appears to have sold for $500.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=160509099587&si=FNi%252FRn1x29HyvIehUX6WcFvkq4s%253D&viewitem=

Edited by tomhorn

I thought the going rate for anything with a 72 in it was $1000-$1200 just for the movement. Someday I will buy one but for now I will bask in the glory of my DW which is just in for service but still functioning well after 5 years. :D

I recently bought my V72 for $787 on ebay. It was recently serviced and covered by a 6 month warranty. Here's the auction. I just hope it fits the DW 6263 case. Size w/out crown is 34mm, so I guess that's a good sign.