When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Any Audiophiles Here?

DuDro

Just curious to see if any of the members here also "waste" money on home audio systems like I do... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I have a single, VMPS 626SE that I no longer need. I'm wondering if I should post it here for sale...

yeah! finally an audiothread!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

i was waiting for that....could you post some pics??

I rediscovered the real pleasure of a audio system earlier this year, and it's fantastic!! I even dumped my TV for that...

Everytime i listen to music now it's kind of orgasmic!!

so between my love for watches and my love for amplifiers...where will i end....? :bicycle:

Got myself an english system, with scandinavian speakers...pretty much beginning of the price scale, but yet VERY good....and it beats BY FAR things like BOSE or anything like that....

post-29734-0-66765900-1290982684.jpg

post-29734-0-22504300-1290982700.jpg

post-29734-0-28193400-1290982714.jpg

Edited by whoever

Very nice the McIntosh TwoTone! That's what i was thinking about for the years to come...well...counting in years.... ;)

I looked around for a very long time before i made a decision for anything...

When i got my speakers i tried a few B&W, but they were a bit to "heavy" for my small appartment...

The SA Speakers are surprisingly powerfull even if quite small and very very thin.

I can't recommend them enough!

Edited by whoever

Converted over a while back from Denon to McIntosh...Have both B&W and Boston speakers...Currently running the Bostons...TTmcintosh2.jpg

Now you get me very jalous!

I have bought HERE on RWG a Hi-fi system a while ago.

Since then, I improved it and wonder how the hell it is possible to listen to music on an iPhone, iPod, or whatever.

It has been 10 years without a Hi-Fi system in my home...

This afternoon I stoped working to listen to the latest remastered Band on the run Album of Paul Mc Cartney.

Couldn't imagine listening to this without a proper Hi-Fi system.

I currently have Cambridge amp, cd and a pair of Davis speakers + a non direct drive turntable (no idea how you call that in english? Belt?).

http://www.davis-acoustics.com/index.php/en/enceintes

Great speakers, affodable...

My first next profits will upgrade this to a MacIntosh amp and some other great shit to enjoy music even more.

Long life to all kinds of music!

Congrats TT :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The last studio I worked at we had a Hi-Fi room that we used to demo equipment. It was so much fun! It got a little excessive when we started playing with cabling, but it was still fun. The $1,500 power cords were kind of a joke I have to say!

My favorite setup was the B&W Nautilus 801's with the Aragon Paladium IK mono-block amps with a custom set of speakers cables that I had made several years ago. :thumbsupsmileyanim: I brought in my older Parasound DAC-2000 and hooked it up to a California Audio Labs CD Transport. We had a really nice custom stepped attenuator for level control between the DAC-2000 and the Mono Block amps.

That was a fun weekend :D

i enjoy high end audio but dont care enough to personally drop thousands. the highest quality receiver i own is a higher end yamaha but it still was just under $1000 compared to $5-10K receivers. its pretty good but really only pushes 95watts per channel. i might upgrade to a better Denon with definitive speakers and an oppo player. that mcintosh is just awesome! its weird that it counts the volume in irrelevant numbers instead of db/distortion level tho

Sold high-end audio for many years in my high school and college days. Sold some amazing stuff, but was underwhelmed by the so-called audiophiles inherent belief that more $$$ meant better quality sound.

Having said that, I am an Audio Research fanboy for amplifiers and pre-amps ... :) Nothing beats a great set of tubes!

i enjoy high end audio but dont care enough to personally drop thousands. the highest quality receiver i own is a higher end yamaha but it still was just under $1000 compared to $5-10K receivers. its pretty good but really only pushes 95watts per channel. i might upgrade to a better Denon with definitive speakers and an oppo player. that mcintosh is just awesome! its weird that it counts the volume in irrelevant numbers instead of db/distortion level tho

Be careful on the Denon...

The parent company that owns them [now] is the same company that owns Marantz...

They have been pushing Denon down and raising the bar on the Marantz line...

In other words - Denon isn't what it used to be...

The new 2011 line for Marantz however looks to be some pretty good stuff...

Had a demo yesterday and was really impressed...

TT

I *thought* I was an audiophile until a coworker brought me a catalog showing a $13,000 turntable, without the tone arm. anim-jawdrop.gif

I used to run a pair of Hafler XL600s (one left, one right) into Bozak Concert Grands and Klipschorns. Now I've downgraded to a huge Onkyo amp and vintage JBLs and Acoustic Research. :tu: When I want to listen to something seriously, I use Klipsch X10 buds.

Hearing loss? What's that you're saying sonny boy? Quit mumbling... speak up!

• 1 month later...

So my 2-channel system consists of B&K pre-amp and amp, and a NAD CD player. The speakers are a pair of VMPS RM1 towers. Love them!

For my multi-channel set-up, I have a Marantz processor, Adcom amplification, PS3 for Bluray, Earthquake sub, and Magnepans all around.

I'm debating on whether to go wireless with the sub to optimize placement. Has anyone ever used or auditioned the Sunfire wireless transmitters?

When I was around 16y I bought a set with Denon and Mission speakers.

Then later switched to Marantz for some years. 2 years ago I spent several thousands on a set from Arcam (AVR350 and DV139) and a 5.1 loudspeakers from Tannoy.

Last month I sold some of the new Arcam stuff, sold my Tannoy front speakers and went for second hand, a heavy weight Denon AV amplifier and a German brand speakers.

So back to Denon. Saved me lots of money and the funny thing is, the set that I have now sounds a lot better.

Not really an audiophile, but I enjoy nice clean sound. My 2 channel system consists of a Belles 150A amp & an AR SP16 Preamp driving some Meadowlark Shearwater Hotrods that I got several years ago....not really loud but nice and clean with nice imaging in my listening room. I got into SACD recordings when they first hit the scene several years ago and picked up a Sony SACD/DVD S9000ES that was my main unit for quite some time...I still love it. I moved for work, and during my move, I found all kinds of vinyl boxed up that I had during the 70's & 80's, so I later got into more analog and vinyl recordings (I'm a pianist), so I picked up a Rega Planar 3 and fell in love with 'live' recordings and the beauty of analog. Unfortunately with work, I find myself listening to more & more through my 5 channel Rotel system through the TV, but this thread makes me want to stop and smell the coffee through stereo again. Maybe I'll put down my mouse.....

I used to be an audiophile but now I've got three children so peace and quiet is much appreciated these days. I sold the kit when I found my eldest had managed to gain access to it..... =@

Now I only get to listen to music on my iphone when I'm running. :wounded1: