When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Changes at Rolex? Here it comes....

Dizzy

Just the other day, a friend told me he heard of a Rolex only store opening up near me in Orlando, in the Mall Of Millenia. It makes me wonder why they did not go this route years ago. Sure, it will be a big investment on their part in the beginning to set up and run their own shops, but they WILL pass that cost to the customer, and the customer will pay it because after all, its Rolex. In the long run, it will give them better control of their products and ensure to everyone once and for all "the only way to ensure you get a real Rolex, is to buy it from us". Nothing more exclusive than that.

Cheers B)

Just the other day, a friend told me he heard of a Rolex only store opening up near me in Orlando, in the Mall Of Millenia. It makes me wonder why they did not go this route years ago. Sure, it will be a big investment on their part in the beginning to set up and run their own shops, but they WILL pass that cost to the customer, and the customer will pay it because after all, its Rolex. In the long run, it will give them better control of their products and ensure to everyone once and for all "the only way to ensure you get a real Rolex, is to buy it from us". Nothing more exclusive than that.

Cheers B)

That is exactly why it has been 25 years since I purchased a new rolex from an AD. they won't deal, and if they end up with Rolex boutiques as the only source for new Rolex watches, they sure as hell won't deal. I would bet however that if that is the business model they plan to follow, Rolex sales will plummet. Lots of watches are sold by jewelry stoeres that are long time Rolex dealers. take that away, and you lose your sales outlets in every small to medium size city in the USA.. I feel sure most folks wil not travel 600-1000 miles to purchase a watch from a Rolex store, when they can buy something else at their local jeweler right down the street. May make the market for used Rolex stronger, as that will be the only way lots of folks have access to Rolex watches.

Cheers B)

It makes a lot of sense indeed.

Allthough Panerai153 has a point.

If you look at Swatch, at the end of the day there are not so much Swatch only Shops in the EU.

Maybe the way to go for Rolex is a mix, just like Swatch ;)

Rolex16610WM9_TribalPics_08.jpg

After all, certain Rolex have ETAs in it :rofl:

Deals can be had. My AD pretty much gives me a 15% discount on Rolex (If I were so inclined). On the other hand there is another snobby dealer in town he says "the price is the price, and they are not allowed to discount" (Bull5hit).....

If you really want a Gen, from an AD, shop the grey market (Jomashop.com) and offer ~$100~$200 over grey market prices. If they are a55holes, tell them fine, you will deal with the 'warranty' issues and buy 'grey'. The only advantage to the AD is the paperwork and 'while it is in warranty' service.

Back to the article. I can see them opening Boutiques-- in addition to AD's, but I can not see them pulling out of the likes of Tourneau, Hyde Park, etc. Rememeber, many watch impulse buys, especially by men, are while their wife/girlfriend/mistress are shopping jewelry etc. Rolex would LOOSE money. Plus, scorned AD's would blast them, and sell the hell out of competing brands.

I suspect them to go the route of Apple. Premium stores that offer a great experience, but with the goods till available at select other locations. You don't have to buy a Mac at your local Apple Store (and could get a better deal elsewhere), but if you want well-trained staff and a full range of products/services, it's the best.

I could see the "Rolex Store" having the same appeal to fans, maybe even being a spot they hung out. They could carry way more models, even restored vintage, and do more in-house service.

Deals can be had. My AD pretty much gives me a 15% discount on Rolex (If I were so inclined). On the other hand there is another snobby dealer in town he says "the price is the price, and they are not allowed to discount" (Bull5hit).....

If you really want a Gen, from an AD, shop the grey market (Jomashop.com) and offer ~$100~$200 over grey market prices. If they are a55holes, tell them fine, you will deal with the 'warranty' issues and buy 'grey'. The only advantage to the AD is the paperwork and 'while it is in warranty' service.

Back to the article. I can see them opening Boutiques-- in addition to AD's, but I can not see them pulling out of the likes of Tourneau, Hyde Park, etc. Rememeber, many watch impulse buys, especially by men, are while their wife/girlfriend/mistress are shopping jewelry etc. Rolex would LOOSE money. Plus, scorned AD's would blast them, and sell the hell out of competing brands.

That's exactly what I mean. The dealers who are cut off would become Rolex's biggest enemies. As you said lots of watch buys are impulse, and I can guarrantee, the impulse goes away if you have to drive to the closest large City to buy. No problem if you live in Dallas,Houston, NYC, Chicago, LA, Etc. but if the closest city is 100 miles away, and it's 200k population, you are out of luck.

Interesting how different AD's handle discounts. Years ago, I bought several Rolexes from Hausman's Jewelers in New Orleans. They had a pretty strict policy on discounts, basically no discounts, BUT if you were trading a watch, any watch, they would really deal! They would give you 1000.00 USD for a Seiko, as a trade on a new Submariner . Actually it was more like 100.00 USD for a trade-in , because a new Submariner was only 500.00 USD. The Seiko was probably worth 30 bucks. that was their way of getting around the Rolex no discount policy .

I think the big draw for Apple stores is that new products generally appear there 1st & Apple people tend to be a bit rabid about being the 1st on their block to get Apple's gadget du jour. While there are a relative handful of rabid collectors, who do bite at the new product offerings, the vast majority of Rolex buyers (of new watches) are purchase-motivated not by new product offerings but more by life events (new job, new baby, financial success, etc). So unless Rolex plans to offer (popular) products through their boutique stores that will not be available elsewhere, I think it remains to be seen what they will actually get out of this endeavor in the long-term.

Rolex, if you are listening. Recipe for success = Rolex & Tudor Combined Boutiques. At least in the USA. Making it the only place for Tudor's (value add), but still selling the standard Rolex line at both ADs and your stores.

Sell the Tudors in quantity to 'pay the rent', sell the blingy new Rolex's for pure profit.

I live in a smaller town (under 200,000) and i have not one Rolex store here anymore. There used to be a Rolex auth repair shop but that was many years ago. Now the closest AD is a 5 hour drive away. I have been thinking about a new Ceramic sub, and if I could buy them locally, I probably would go get one, but there is no way I am going to make a special trip all the way to the AD to try one on. Local boutiques would increase impulse buying for sure. Also the type of guy who sees one on tv and thinks "Hey i wouldnt mind having a rolex"... but I guarantee that the guy who see's one on TV isnt going to drive 5 hours to go look at one to buy.

But who knows. Maybe the execs at Rolex dont care about the "impulse buy" or the people in small towns. Maybe we arn't good enough for Rolex? lol

I live in a smaller town (under 200,000) and i have not one Rolex store here anymore. There used to be a Rolex auth repair shop but that was many years ago. Now the closest AD is a 5 hour drive away. I have been thinking about a new Ceramic sub, and if I could buy them locally, I probably would go get one, but there is no way I am going to make a special trip all the way to the AD to try one on. Local boutiques would increase impulse buying for sure. Also the type of guy who sees one on tv and thinks "Hey i wouldnt mind having a rolex"... but I guarantee that the guy who see's one on TV isnt going to drive 5 hours to go look at one to buy.

But who knows. Maybe the execs at Rolex dont care about the "impulse buy" or the people in small towns. Maybe we arn't good enough for Rolex? lol

my local dealer is 10mins away but they exploit the fact that the next closest dealer is about an hour. i could probably get replacement parts from them without ever showing them a watch but i'd be paying out the ass as per their SOP. complete opportunists