When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Replacement sub bracelet and bezel

boomer775

Resident experts, I had purchased a "perfect sub" from Andrew a couple of years ago and the clasp ended up breaking as well as the pearl turning a tannish color. Since the bracelet is pretty scratched up already, and I didn't think I'd want to try replacing just the pearl, I asked Andrew for prices on a new bezel with pearl and a bracelet with the 316l steel. It came out to 100 bucks. Does that sound about right to you all? Do I have better options? I know ofrei sells the inserts, but I wasn't sure if they would fit or not. Tried searching through the forums here to see if anyone had posted a topic around this to no avail. Perhaps I'm not using the search function correctly. Any advice would be appreciated!

Here is a photo of the watch, if that helps. Any help is greatly appreciated! I just thought that $100 for a replacement bezel and bracelt seemed a bit high since the 21J vesion with the same bracelet and bezel insert is only 118 on his site. Then again, I'm not all that well-versed in the parts market, so maybe this is about right....

post-3678-0-81265200-1292098562.jpg

post-3678-0-53192300-1292099687.jpg

post-3678-0-07526400-1292099692.jpg

post-3678-0-22504600-1292099693.jpg

Looks to me like your watch is a noobmariner. What I've done on my noobs was pop out the bezel insert and remove the pearl and glue in a watchmaterial pearl after enlarging the hole with an x-acto knife. $10 maybe plus shipping.

I can also probably help you with a new clasp, give me a PM and we can discuss it- I hope you're in Conus!

Rolex bracelets have always been noted for their flimsy, rattly, cheap feel. Even the Rolex "experts" on the genuine forums complain all the time about the old bracelets. Probably justified when you consider the cost of a genuine. But in their defense, they are the most comfortable bracelets around, and they are pretty bulletproof. unfortunately, the same can't be said for the new ones that have clasp failures that result in the watch coming off and hitting the floor, or worse disappearing into the depths if you are diving with it.

Possibly if you put a "want to buy" in the tools and parts forum, someone will have what you're looking for

If it's for sale, I'd strongly recommend buying this one from highoeyazmuhudee:

5257057782_ffcd96c9f6.jpg

Only thing better is a gen. That and a new clasp and some fine grit sandpaper and you can have it looking like new in a few minutes.

And I've picked up several new Sub bracelets normally around $35. $100 for and insert and bracelet seem very high.

Just to add, the 'lightweight flimsy feel' of the Oyster bracelet, is because that is how it was designed to feel. Think of it in terms of a racecar which is stripped down to the bare essentials for weight and performance, that's the philosophy with which the oyster bracelet and clasp were designed: Lightweight and durable. As Panerai153 mentioned above, the new bracelet clasps are prone to weld failures which can result in the loss/damage/destruction of a watch. Oyster clasps might be thin and flimsy, but there're no welds to fail :whistling::good:

[Edit to add]

I used to think the same thing about the oyster bracelets, that the clasps were cheap and nasty, and that Omega produced a way more substantial clasp, but, once the philosophy behind the Rolex Submariner was explained to me, I began to appreciate them for what they were, rather than bemoaning them for what they're not, and now I'm quite happy wearing them. All just a matter of perspective :drinks:

ok, based on that serial#, what Polex sub model# does that correspond to? reason I ask is b/c I am looking to purchase an aftermarket insert (maybe a gen at some point if after I practice) to replace the existing insert, but am unsure of which one to purchase. Watchmaterial has 3 sub inserts that I can see that all look alike, but am unsure of which one to purchase. The #on the hologram was 16610, but was unsure if that was the # I should be looking at... Bear with me, eventually I will get this :) Also, can anyone comment on the quality of the watchmaterial vs. the ofrei inserts? Are there other better options out there that I should look at?

buy a gen

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item45f78f3b57

use "make offer" offer $90-$100

or even "locally"

http://www.rwgforum....-inserts-cheap/

I hear you , but I don't really want to try a gen on my 1st tab at modding the bezel. I figured a $30 aftermarket insert was the way to go. Sounds like Watchmaterial inserts aren't that good - are the ofrei ones any better?

If you dont care about accuracy, just buy one for $15 off ebay. Otherwise those gen inserts look pretty good if you can snag one for $90. That would be the way to go on that Noobmariner you have. Thats a pretty good rep. Add a gen insert and a gen crown and you will have a sweet watch. You cant get much better than the noobmariner bracelet. Its pretty accurate. Just try to replace the clasp if you can.

I hear you , but I don't really want to try a gen on my 1st tab at modding the bezel. I figured a $30 aftermarket insert was the way to go. Sounds like Watchmaterial inserts aren't that good - are the ofrei ones any better?

i can appreciate that. to tell you the truth tho the bezel sanding really isnt high stakes modding. keep it flat on a smooth clean surface and use the drum sander attachment on the dremel. even masking off the business side of the insert with electrical tape is a handy idea that ive used, prevents errant debris from scratching it.

aftermarket - ive only ever used WO ones and WM pearls. its a good combo.