When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen watch for ~3000$ - any suggestions?

kramerica2

Looking for a gen, and would like to hear suggestions.

As mentioned, the budget is ~3000$, and I'm looking for a watch that isn't well replicated so far, would be from a well known brand and assuming (or rather fooling myself) that its the last gen I'll ever own.

At the moment I'm leaning towards an Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, buy would love hearing more options. What would you get for that money?

Tudor 79280 chronograph on TZ now for $2100, if your looking for something to go up in the future.

+1 from an investment potential as well :)

What size and style do you fancy, big, medium, ladies....Chrono? etc :)

Actually not looking for an investment right now, and I prefer getting a new one.

I like different kind of watches. you can check my sig and see some examples.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions so far.

Problem with new is the mark up unless you can find a good source for your final choice but you need to be thinking at least 20% off RRP with only a few marques as the exception. Also buying around now you might be able to haggle in most ADs I always got a good discount buying from high street ADs, the best I recall was about 35% on an Omega.

I think I would suggest the Blue Broad Arrow Blue Chrono going by your taste, Its a great everyday watch and looks just as good for evenings if your all dressed up !! But its whether you can find one if not if not any of the new Broad Arrows especially the GMT but not sure if you will get that in your price range possible though if you haggle and wave cash in their face!!!

Another of the new models that sort of meets your initial choice is the Speedmaster Professional :) I like the contrasting sub dials...

The Ebel collection is REALLY nice! There is a wide choice of styles, doesn't have to be sports chrono, they do some great pieces for great prices!!

Maybe a Tag, real good prices going on a lot of them right now, same with the Omegas!!

Sixx :bones:

In the meanwhile I've been walking in and out of ADs, looking for a nice price for the mooney. At the moment the lowest I managed to get is 3300$ incl. tax. When I'll be ready to buy I'm sure I'll be able to close the deal at 3000$, maybe even less than that.

As for your nice suggestions (please keep them coming...), I kind of dislike Tags, and Ebels are replicated so well, that I rather get a gen of something I know is hard to replicate. If at some point the gen I'm getting would be replicated well, I'd probably sell it and buy another one.

The broad arrow is unfortunately out of my budget...

Thanks again everyone, love this community...

"get the moonwatch especially if u want to wear daily, its one of the classics, i got one myself."

The Omega Speedy is a great watch all right. I had a seldom worn, never worked on 'pre moon' years ago, back when they sold for $250 or less.

Bought a nib speedy moon with sapphire caseback on leather/deployant for $350 in August 1996 from a watch trader but sold it right away (should have kept them).

A friend still has a pre moon he paid $40 for way back when.

Chronographs used to be cheap...

Had a half dozen nib ss and tutone automatic speedys with Eta 2894 modular chronograph movement...also known as the SOS (stack of sh*t) in the late 1990's. Back then they went for $500 in ss and about $750 in tutone (ss/18k bezel and center links...some bracelets marked swiss made, some marked Hong Kong). Bought them from a fellow (now a famous watchguy) who worked for SMH back then (now swatch). They were junk imho...you ever see under the dial of one? Ask around.

Bought 20 nib Hamilton 7750 'Khaki' cronos about the same time...they were $200 to $250 each. Bought them from the former Chairman/CEO of SMH USA (now rip).

Sold the last one a couple years ago.

Otoh, some things to consider before 'going genuine':

Buying a genuine watch is just the first step, you have other considerations...

1...Depreciation.

2...Mind numbing service and parts costs.

3...They are just as fragile as replicas...sometimes worse.

4...If you lose the watch, you lose a wad of $$.

5...Very few swiss watch companies sell parts even if you know a friendly repair guy who can fix it (see #2).

If I listed all the genuine watches I have owned...half the members would say I was lying and the other half would say I am crazy.

I would go with crazy. :Jumpy:

If I listed all the trouble I have had with genuine watches...

It would be a long list.

Out of all the genuine famous brand swissjunk I have owned over the years, just about the only models I am not afraid to wear today are the quartz TAG/Heuer dive models. Not much of a watch prestige wise but very rugged and fairly thin compared to mechanical swissjunk.

Why TAG/H?

1...Cheap, never paid more than $250 for one (a nib lady model a while back) while men's styles are usually around $150 used (pawn shops are full of 'em...bought two like new WK1112-0 for $150 each a while back). Bought a box of four used lady models for $75 a couple years ago...made $100 on the only one I sold so the rest are free.

2...Crowns are around $25 and tubes are $10/$12 (quartz crowns/tubes last from now on anyway).

3...Hands are $15 a set.

3...New Eta mvts are about $20.

4...Sapphire crystals are around $15.

Btw...TAG/H service aka ProTime does not sell parts, I just know a guy who knows a guy.

I wear a tutone WK1120 from 1998 on a silicon strap most of the time (paid $100 with the bracelet).

I'm not shilling for TAG/H, it's just one of the few swiss brands I can put up with. :animal_rooster:

What about some of the lesser known brands like Maurice Lacroix or Ulysse Nardin. one of my all time favorite GMT watches was a genuine UN Big Date GMT. Those can be had for less than 3000.00 USD gently used, with all the boxes, papers, etc.. I seriously doubt they will be replicated at least not accurately.

Your criteria:

• Budget is 3000$
  • Isn't well replicated
  • From a well known brand

You have a rare opportunity right now. On Ebay there's a Doxa Black Lung for sale. There are perhaps 7 known examples in the world. It uses a rock solid ETA movement so parts are easy to find. It will last forever, it's iconic, and disappears on the wrist. With its collectible status you'll never lose money on it. And face it... Doxas get the babes. :tu: You don't even have to look like Dirk Pitt.

sahara.jpg