When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is this Submariner good

Akilles

I understand that you can't get perfect swiss movement for 128 USD but when Im looking at this watch from Josh I can't see any major faults. Please let me know what you think. Is this movement really crappy. What are the largest mistakes in this replica?

post-16774-0-85093600-1293135670.jpg

post-16774-0-70883100-1293135681.jpg

Edited by Akilles

A lot depends on what your meaning of good is.

For $128 I think it's a great watch that I would have no problem wearing, however there are more accurate ones out there if you are willing to pay the extra dollars.

Ken

what exactly besides the movement are the major faults then? Any markings, coulor, crown, bracelet?

I have compared it to other 200-280 USD replicas and all the difference that I can find is the movement (and maybe som serial numbers)

Edited by Akilles

It's not the "fancy" steel on this replica, no. I must say your sea dweller is a beauty but I cant visually see the difference between the steel on yours and on the steel on the replica I posted

The visual difference can be worlds apart In person,just saying. Still the $128.00 Rolex is a fine watch for the money. Also remeber that more expensive reps will have a saphire crystal as opposed to mineral crystal that can scratch. If It does Indeed get scratched It can be very difficult to remove the scratch. A scratched crystal would be a dead give away to it's origin.

The visual difference can be worlds apart In person,just saying. Still the $128.00 Rolex is a fine watch for the money. Also remeber that more expensive reps will have a saphire crystal as opposed to mineral crystal that can scratch. If It does Indeed get scratched It can be very difficult to remove the scratch. A scratched crystal would be a dead give away to it's origin.

Yes I own a noobmariner with swiss eta and the "old" steel.(316L)

I read some things about the 316F steel hype. Some one found out thats its not real "316F" steel, but in person its looks so much better compared to the steel on the noobmariner.

Yes I own a noobmariner with swiss eta and the "old" steel.(316L)

I read some things about the 316F steel hype. Some one found out thats its not real "316F" steel, but in person its looks so much better compared to the steel on the noobmariner.

Also remeber that more expensive reps will have a saphire crystal as opposed to mineral crystal that can scratch. If It does Indeed get scratched It can be very difficult to remove the scratch. A scratched crystal would be a dead give away to it's origin.

The first post shows that its a saphire crystal and the same chassis as the ETA model.

For $128 you cant go wrong. I have an EXP2 from about 13 years ago with a "japanese" movement, whatever that is. Out of ALL my reps, the EXP2 with no-name movement is by far the most accurate. Never been serviced, and its had water in it twice, and it still keeps COSC specs after more than a decade.

Just dont "play" with the GMT functions (if any) and you will be fine.

Dizz

The first post shows that its a saphire crystal and the same chassis as the ETA model.

For $128 you cant go wrong. I have an EXP2 from about 13 years ago with a "japanese" movement, whatever that is. Out of ALL my reps, the EXP2 with no-name movement is by far the most accurate. Never been serviced, and its had water in it twice, and it still keeps COSC specs after more than a decade.

Just dont "play" with the GMT functions (if any) and you will be fine.

Dizz

I dont believe that at $128.00 this rep has a saphire crystal,If it does "state this" I would double check. It might be saphire coated,big difference. If It Indeed it has a real saphire crystal and Is as good as it looks,buy it.

I dont believe that at $128.00 this rep has a saphire crystal,If it does "state this" I would double check. It might be saphire coated,big difference. If It Indeed it has a real saphire crystal and Is as good as it looks,buy it.

I wrote to Josh and asked about the sapphire glass just to double check.

My Breitling Seawolf with an Asian ETA works actually just as good as my Sea Dweller's Swiss ETA. Can't tell the difference at all on precision.

I wrote to Josh and asked about the sapphire glass just to double check.

My Breitling Seawolf with an Asian ETA works actually just as good as my Sea Dweller's Swiss ETA. Can't tell the difference at all on precision.

Hi!

Im a big n00b on replicas as I only own a genuine Omega. But I've been looking in to replicas as they seem to be good enough for me and SO much cheaper. So: I want to buy a replica submariner. But as I said I've no clue on how to know whats good and whats not when it comes to replicas. I dont even know any sites or ebay sellers... So I will rely on you guys!

From what I can see this $128 watch i fine but not great. Im willing to pay $200-300 in order to get a Submariner that no one could spot as a fake if they werent a watchmaker or something like that... Or am I asking for too much? In that case, I just want a damn good rep for that kind of money, with saphire crystal and a decent movement. Where can i find that :D? Please help me, every answer is appriciated!!

Hi!

Im a big n00b on replicas as I only own a genuine Omega. But I've been looking in to replicas as they seem to be good enough for me and SO much cheaper. So: I want to buy a replica submariner. But as I said I've no clue on how to know whats good and whats not when it comes to replicas. I dont even know any sites or ebay sellers... So I will rely on you guys!

From what I can see this $128 watch i fine but not great. Im willing to pay $200-300 in order to get a Submariner that no one could spot as a fake if they werent a watchmaker or something like that... Or am I asking for too much? In that case, I just want a damn good rep for that kind of money, with saphire crystal and a decent movement. Where can i find that :D? Please help me, every answer is appriciated!!

First off, welcome to the party :drinks:

Secondly, any Submariner has the potential of getting spotted as a fake, simply because it says 'Rolex' on the dial. Even if the watch is visually perfect, or even genuine original, having the R Word on the dial, is always risking the question "Is that a Real Rolex?"

However, in day to day life, I've found watches really don't get commented on very much, so the risk of actually getting called out is very slim, if not non-existent. The above listed watch does look really nice, and I bet if any non-watch enthusiast was to handle it in person, the weight and feel would most likely make them think that it was real. Personally, I prefer the more vintage Submariners, for aesthetic reasons, but, in terms of being called out, someone is much less likely to notice (and then question) an apparently aged and beaten up watch, than they are a modern and shiny watch which looks brand new... Of course, there's something for everyone in this hobby, and I'm sure you'll receive many more answers which will help you to find precisely the watch for you :good::drinks:

For the record... it's sapphire glass for sure (says Josh). I will place my order tomorrow!

It'll be great and no one will notice. I have a friend that is a Rolex wearer. He is an attorney and has a solid 18k gold DD presidential and a great stell 1601. He has purchased them for his wife as well, but knows nothing about Rolexs. He thinks my MBK sub is great and has tried to buy it.

Edited by preacher62

Hi!

http://www.1-pc8838.com/000rlss00088-2008-submariner-asia-3135-serial-p-7851.html

take this one with swiss eta on the movement^^

I understand that you can't get perfect swiss movement for 128 USD but when Im looking at this watch from Josh I can't see any major faults. Please let me know what you think. Is this movement really crappy. What are the largest mistakes in this replica?

Nothing except the mvt. BTW TrustyTime sell it too ($98 + SH).

This Asian 2813 Mvt is a dollar mvt, cheap and really a basic one, but can be a workhorse if you take care of it (be gently when you change hour/date). I had one in an POrikaa and was very accurate.

Buying this version can be a good test drive, and if you like it, go with an ETA mvt, but the case/finish will be the same. And what it's all about stuff around the 316F, personnaly I just don't beleive asian factory build two kind of the same cases with two different metal that is pretty the same (really they bother with that?), one with 316L and another one with 316F, for me it's just a marketing gammic to hook you and to spend more money. Who the hell can verify this statement that it is 316F. Nobody, exept a metallurgist test. We can't base assumption just on a "visual" observation, too subjective.

ww.1-pc8838.com/000rlss00088-2008-submariner-asia-3135-serial-p-7851.html

take this one with swiss eta on the movement^^

Thanks for a great tip!

What does the "serial" thing mean? Does this one have a "better" serial than the cheaper one? I've always wondered about replicas serials. Could anyone tell me how that works?

And what excactly does this mean: "A Genuine Steel GMT watch was stripped down for this replication exercise."?

Hi guys,

Im Very new to this hobby, and Im allso a noob in all aspects:(

Im allso looking for a very nice sea dweller and if you look at joshs sight you can see 6-7 similar sea dwellers with different movemnets...

Asian or ETA! From 128$ - 388$ Im confused... What to pick since someone said that there is NOT a big difference in appearence.

If the 388$ one is much better, then I would probably go with that one but what to think about these things? How to decide?

Is the ETA normally more accurate, more likely to live a longer life so to speak or what?

Thanks for a great tip!

What does the "serial" thing mean? Does this one have a "better" serial than the cheaper one? I've always wondered about replicas serials. Could anyone tell me how that works?

And what excactly does this mean: "A Genuine Steel GMT watch was stripped down for this replication exercise."?

On a V-Serial theres ROLEXROLEX engraved on the rehaut. With M-Serial there`s no ROLEXROLEX engraved there. In the past the ROLEXROLEX engraving was a bit off, it was not exact on the markers. So the M-Serial was preferred in the past because of this.

But I got the information from here:

That the new V-Serial engraving is correct.

Now about the

"A Genuine Steel GMT watch was stripped down for this replication exercise."

U can make a rep from a watch just with pictures, or u got the real one to strip it down and make a more accurate rep. But U cant trust on these words overall. Nobody knows if they really had a genuine one for this.

I will also order this watch in january :-)

On a V-Serial theres ROLEXROLEX engraved on the rehaut. With M-Serial there`s no ROLEXROLEX engraved there. In the past the ROLEXROLEX engraving was a bit off, it was not exact on the markers. So the M-Serial was preferred in the past because of this.

But I got the information from here:

ww.rwgforum.com/topic/126435-by-request-some-close-up-ceramic-sub-pics/page__p__918211

That the new V-Serial engraving is correct.

Now about the

"A Genuine Steel GMT watch was stripped down for this replication exercise."

U can make a rep from a watch just with pictures, or u got the real one to strip it down and make a more accurate rep. But U cant trust on these words overall. Nobody knows if they really had a genuine one for this.

I will also order this watch in january :-)

Great answer man, thanks!

But two question remain:

1. does Rolex have any visible serial numbers? How does replicas "handle" this?

2. Some guy wrote that he would prefer a vintage replica because of that the wear would make it look more genuine. So the question is can you buy a vintage replica somewhere? :)