When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Expensive Daytona Homage on the Bay

Ronin

The movement is a 2824-2 with Dubois & Depraz 2020 module to give it the chrono. Bizzare. Learned about a new movement today.

cal_2226_dial_side.jpg

:g:

That's actually a pic of a different DD module, Ronin... The same one they use on the Lemania LWO and AP 2125.... Like this (except without the top plate):

IMG_6468.jpg

Note the 12-9-6 layout with the top subsidiary (actually the running seconds) closer to the center hour and min pinions.

The 2020 DD is the same layout as the ETA 2894...

EE- Seems the ETA based 2020 movements have been used in everything from Omegas to Zenos for gens; for reps (if you are planning to retro fit one), that's kinda hard to say whether one will fit, as most 2894 based seconds at 3:00 replicas have the modified 7750 in it (I'm not aware of any existing replica models based on the actual 2824/2020 combination, so the 2894 would be the next best fit, methinks). The differences in overall movement profile and added modules may not allow for the stem to align correctly without modification to the case (either adding or subtracting material as needed).

Difficult to say without having one of either in hand to actually test fit into a proper case.

There's 10 ETA 2824 w/2020 modules for sale on the bay right now for $280.00 each. ($2,800 for the package)

Almost all of the Breitling movements are actually either an ETA 2824 with a Dubois Depraz 2020 chrono module for the 6 - 9 - 12 configurations or an ETA 2892-A2's with a Dubois-Depraz 2021 3 - 6 - 9 chrono module attached to it for a running seconds at 3 chrono movement. (been looking for one for a really long time so I've been doing some research :D )

DD2020 should be the tri-compax, sec @ 3:00 minus date. DD2021 is the tri-compax with date.

The bad thing about the DD modules is getting them serviced, as they are quite difficult to work with from what I understand. I believe they are usually replaced with a new module when the base movement is serviced and the old unit is sent back to the factory as a core for overhaul.

Gevril Tribecca...

I had 3 of these nib July - November 2000...numbers 53, 207 and ?? (forgot).

I paid $865 for the most expensive one and less for the others. They had 51 jewel 2824-2 eta/DD 'stack-o-crap' movements in them with all the chronograph works under the dial.

Quickly traded them all away but still have one new box/paper set.

Imho, a watch with a Seagull ST19 is a much better alternative.

Lot of parts to break/wear out in an automatic chronograph. =@

Almost all of the Breitling movements are actually either an ETA 2824 with a Dubois Depraz 2020 chrono module for the 6 - 9 - 12 configurations or an ETA 2892-A2's with a Dubois-Depraz 2021 3 - 6 - 9 chrono module attached to it for a running seconds at 3 chrono movement. (been looking for one for a really long time so I've been doing some research :D )

So a Gen Series Special Navitimer is one of these monsters and not a 7750! The modern Navitimer 3-6-9 based on a 7753 seem pretty solid to me.

Re: Alpha comment above:

I think you can buy an Alpha for $99.00. From across the room the (G)evril and Alpha logo would be easily confused.