When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DW's Done It

freddy333

I just received a new 6239 case from DW & I believe he has eliminated nearly all of the previous case's sins. It still needs a gen crown/tube, but the pushers appear to be the same components as I have been getting from Ofrei (which appear to be the same components that Rolex uses). Even the teeth on the caseback are deeper & more defined

dw6239case0111.jpg

dw6239case0101.jpg

Gone are the laser etched case/serial numbers between the lugs. These are now actual engravings, though they look nearly hand-engraved (which is the only inaccuracy I now see on the case)

dw6239case0041.jpg

dw6239case0021.jpg

Gone are the too large/wide depressions below the pushers (the depressions on the old case look like they were suited for the wider screw-style pushers).

But, most importantly, the 300 units steel bezel got the (normally-spaced) '110' & both the flat-top '4' & 'swan-neck' 2s correct

dw6239case0141.jpg

dw6239case014a1.jpg

dw6239case012a1.jpg

All in all, assuming you keep the imperfect lug engravings hidden from view (below your bracelet's end links), this case only needs a bit of enhanced patination. The bezel is going onto my 6239 Newman immediately.

Thank you, DW!!!!!!!!!

Something looks wrong with that case shape. The indentations for the pushers look like they're horizontally centered on the DW case. But on the genuine case, they are significantly biased towards the bottom of the case.

6239side.png

Since the pushers sit higher on the DW, I'm wondering if the whole case is too thick.

I am not so sure what to think of those lugs...

Ubi, other than looking new, can you be more specific as to what reservations you have with the lugs?

Now if only DW would populate his forum area with sample photos of his completed work, so people had an idea of what they can/should order from him.

I will pass the word.

Hey Freddy..what´s the asking price from DW for the 6239 case? It´s for a Val72 movement i assume?

The case is for a V72, but, with the exception of the shallower caseback, the 7750 version looks exactly the same (externally).

Not sure about the price, but you can inquire through his RWG forum.

I'm not so sure about the bezel shape either, the lugs and the location and shape of the pushers. I would still prefer Phong's over this one.

Here's gen:

6239bezel.jpg

I am not sure what problem you are seeing with the bezel. Here is the new DW bezel on my 6239

flat4bezel20121.jpg

the bezel (the insert part) imo, is sloped too steeply.

the pushers need to be more stumpy looking

and the location of the pushers, as mentioned before, needs to sit lower on the case.

The lugs, I can't put my finger on it, but just doesn't...

the bezel (the insert part) imo, is sloped too steeply.

These bezels are solid steel (they do not contain inserts), so I am confused as to what you are referring to?

the pushers need to be more stumpy looking

Again, I am not seeing what you are seeing. The pushers look just like all the pushers I have gotten from Ofrei, which look like the pushers on my 6239 (pictured above), which came from Rolex.

and the location of the pushers, as mentioned before, needs to sit lower on the case.

Again????

The lugs, I can't put my finger on it, but just doesn't...

Other than looking new (which is why I suggested a bit of enhanced patination) vs the gen's having been polished repeatedly, I am not seeing what you guys are seeing????

Here is a gen

post-3175-0-65737700-1296085180.jpg

Here is the new DW

post-3175-0-87074500-1296086463.jpg

Since I received the new case, I have been going through my picture archives &, other than the funky lug engraving, I just cannot see anything that looks wrong about the new DW case. Certainly, those gen cases that have received multiple polishings over the years will be more rounded & stumpier, but that is not the way they look when unpolished or when they were new, as is the case here.

It probably is the correct line, but the circle on dw is much larger, looks like size for screw down pusher.

The recessed circle is too large on the DW. But I don't even think it's on the correct line. Look at how the entire circle centers on the side if the case on the DW (even though it's larger). Now look at the genuine case: The smaller circle is open at the bottom of the case. Clearly, the pushers are located in a lower position on the gen.

From this, and Freddy333's other pictures above, it just looks like the DW case is too thick - Which is probably why the lugs appear so stubby.

Freddy: In my experience with a 7750-powered DW 6239, I've been very impressed by the quality of the case, inside and out. It's a very big step forward, especially when compared to the current DW 6263. However, I think there's still room for improvement, or modification. My biggest issue was with the thickness of the lugs on the crown-side, especially that long "shelf" and bump adjacent to the crown itself. (What alligoat and I refer to as "the tumah".) I realize there were two versions of the 6239, but the DW case has sides that are thicker than either one.

Here's the little diagram I made in my writeup, with Stefano-style notations. The inner red line is where I would trim the case, if I could:

1029490042_HEj2v-L.jpg

Secondly, I think it would be a good idea to blunt the lug horns even further, and eliminate those points. Again, the contours are a big improvement over the DW6263 and it's great how the DW6239 has almost no sharp edges, but just a little more would be great...

999645024_D6jFG-L.jpg

The bezel, other than needing to be opened up to take a gen T21 (on the 7750 version, at least), is excellent and shaped very accurately, in my opinion. In addition to everything freddy noted, check out those serifed 7s!

praetor: You posted a picture of the earliest version of the 6239 bezel, so it's not really a good reference of comparison. DW's is a replica of the second 300UPH bezel.

Yes i ment the resecced circle could not find the words. Stil think pushers are on right line compared to gen. But case indeed seems too thick. gen crown drops below the slimmer case and resessed cicletoo.

I just took a look at my old 2006 DW daytona 6263, the same recessed cicle but slimmer case.

I think he means this:

dw6239case0111.jpg

Dont know what it is called but the case-side hole for pusher looks different from his pic.

It probably is the correct line, but the circle on dw is much larger, looks like size for screw down puser.

Old vs new DW

flat4bezel20011.jpg

You will need to make the call as to how close the new version is to the gen.

^ not really, those are 3 different watches, the second one is a 200 UPH bezel, the first one is a 300 UPH (dot bezel)

This was what I meant by the bezel: extremely nitpicking at best

rawr.png

Sorry, I thought you were referring to the markings!

However, I still find the dimensions of the DW bezel to be accurate to the gen, based on what I've seen in pictures and on genuine 6239s. The angle at which the photos are taken can make comparison difficult, though, and I can see what you see with regard to a shallower angle on the upper lip.

But as Groucho333 would say, "Are you going to believe me or your lying eyes?" :)

I have my Daytona bible out now (looking at the large macros of the pusher side of the 6239 - pg 58) & other than those things that can be accounted for as polishing/wear, I am just not seeing much in the way of differences (other than the engravings, whose sins are only obvious when viewed through a loupe & generally hidden below end links anyway) between the new DW case & the gens. None. And certainly nothing that anyone looking at the case from an arm's length away (my golden pass/fail rule) would detect. This case looks like a new/gen 6239 case & the bezel fonts are nearly flawless.

This case looks like a new/gen 6239 case & the bezel fonts are nearly flawless.

As LHOOQ pointed out- no serif on the 7's- every Rolex has a little turndown on the front edge of the 7- heck, even ubi's bezel doesn't have it in his fonts nor does my 6239 albino. But some of the older DW bezels do have it- one step forward...