When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Precious Time 14k Gold Reps - FACTS!!!!

Precious Time – 14K Gold – A Myth, A Lie or The Truth

I Stand by my word

I’ve been browsing the forums and I’ve found a lot of talk about solid gold reps.

Many customers have also asked me the question “is it really gold”

I have also found occasions where certain dealers bad mouth other dealers! Saying that gold rep’s don’t exist.

I have a lot of loyal customers who have taken my word for it and purchased some of my 14K gold reps. I have compiled this thread to answer some of the frequently asked questions about solid gold reps. Please note, I am not speaking on behalf of other dealers. I have not seen other dealers reps to assess their claims. I am strictly clearing up the fact, if I claim its 14k gold, them my word is as good as gold.

Firstly a few points I want to make.

1. I stand by my word.

2. If I say its gold its gold

3. Gold is not as expensive as people really think. Especially when you are talking about hollow mid links. Each mid link weighs approx 0.8 grams. Assume there are 12 Gold mid links. That is 9.6 grams of gold.

4. I have been in the gold industry for over 8 years. YES, this means I know what I’m talking about.

So let’s start with the basics.

24 carat - 100% pure or 999 fine

22 carat - 91.7% pure or 917 fine

18 carat - 75% pure or 750 fine

14 carat - 58.3% pure or 583 fine

9 carat - 37.5% pure or 375 fine

Today’s gold rate for 1oz troy is $550 for 24k Gold

1 ounce troy is 31.10grams

We have already established each hollow mid link is 0.8 grams and there are approx 12 14k gold mid links on the average TT sub or GMT. That gives us a total gold weight of 9.6 grams. To simplify the math I’m going to round this up to 10 grams.

So below is the math

$550/31.10 = $17.68 of 24k Gold

17.68 divided by 24 multiply by 14 gives us $10.31 Rate for 1gram of 14k Gold.

$10.31 x 10 grams of gold (total for mid links) = $103 for 10 grams of 14k Gold – Yes gold is cheap. Please remember a normal outlet selling fine jewellery would then add a further $200 dollars or so for labour etc... We exclude this value in the reps.

So we have now worked out that an average TT 14k Sub has 10 grams of gold with an additional value of around $100. The crown sometimes is also gold, and will weigh approx 1 gram adding a further $10-15.

This price does not mean a dealer will sell you a gold strap for $100. The dealer has to earn money too and therefore the price is marked up.

Okay, now we have the facts out of the way with….. On with my Hard Evidence!! When I say rep has 14K Gold mid links, that means it is Real 14k Gold!! Not a Myth, Not a Lie, Not plated and Not wrapped on brass. (I do not vouch for other dealers stock as I have not seen other dealers stock I’m referring to my stock)

How do I prove this… Simple… OPERATION MELTDOWN

The following work was undertaken at a professional jewelers who had a workshop in house.

Below i have shown a link from my own 14k TT GMT being melted down. An yes i lost the link and had to pay for this to be done, but its woth putting end to any doubts anyone had about my claims.

Below a clear picture of some soldering already on the link. If it was plated you would not see this.

9591-5078.jpg

9591-5079.jpg

9591-5080.jpg

9591-5081.jpg

Meltdown Begins....

9591-5082.jpg

9591-5083.jpg

9591-5084.jpg

Whats left of the link, while gold is put into acid

9591-5085.jpg

Final result. 14K GOLD!!!!!

9591-5086.jpg

What you should learn from this.

My word is as good as GOLD B)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PT, thanks for the much needed clarification. The problem, incidentally, has nothing to do with you--the simple fact is that too many less than honest rep dealers have advertised "solid" gold and sent wrapped or electroplated.

A couple questions for you: Are there any watches available with solid bezels, crowns, etc. I'd love to see a TT Turn-o-graph-or Daytona w/ solif gold bezels, etc.

Why don't the makers make these parts in 18K? After all, 18K is the "gold" standard in genuines and, as your math shows, we're only talking about 30 bucks more cost for an 18k bracelet. Since almost anyone can tell the difference between 18K and 14K gold, anyone who wants solid gold in their rep is faced with a choice: Do you want an 18k plated rep that is too light and may not last or a 14k rep that looks off but is closer to the right weight and will last for years with good care?

If we could get 18k parts, that problem would be solved for not too much money.

PT, thanks for the much needed clarification. The problem, incidentally, has nothing to do with you--the simple fact is that too many less than honest rep dealers have advertised "solid" gold and sent wrapped or electroplated.

A couple questions for you: Are there any watches available with solid bezels, crowns, etc. I'd love to see a TT Turn-o-graph-or Daytona w/ solif gold bezels, etc.

Why don't the makers make these parts in 18K? After all, 18K is the "gold" standard in genuines and, as your math shows, we're only talking about 30 bucks more cost for an 18k bracelet. Since almost anyone can tell the difference between 18K and 14K gold, anyone who wants solid gold in their rep is faced with a choice: Do you want an 18k plated rep that is too light and may not last or a 14k rep that looks off but is closer to the right weight and will last for years with good care?

If we could get 18k parts, that problem would be solved for not too much money.

Think I read somewhere that 14k wears a lot better than 18k ( or higher) - most jewellery is done in 14k or less for this reason.

offshore

Excellent post, PT and thanks for taking the effort to shed some light on this subject, at least with your watches. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I'm not much of a gold guy but after playing with a buddy' s gen TT, I certainly would not mind having one in the watch case. It is a gorgeous watch.

Regards,

Jet

not top be redundent, but this truly an excellent post.

http://www.buymyprecious.com/Photos/Repair/Gold1d.jpg

Meltdown Begins....

9817-5036.jpg

9817-5037.jpg

9817-5038.jpg

Whats left of the link, while gold is put into acid

9817-5039.jpg

Final result. 14K GOLD!!!!!

9817-5040.jpg

What you should learn from this.

My word is as good as GOLD B)