When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Precious Time 14k Gold Reps - FACTS!!!!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PT, thanks for the much needed clarification. The problem, incidentally, has nothing to do with you--the simple fact is that too many less than honest rep dealers have advertised "solid" gold and sent wrapped or electroplated.

A couple questions for you: Are there any watches available with solid bezels, crowns, etc. I'd love to see a TT Turn-o-graph-or Daytona w/ solif gold bezels, etc.

Why don't the makers make these parts in 18K? After all, 18K is the "gold" standard in genuines and, as your math shows, we're only talking about 30 bucks more cost for an 18k bracelet. Since almost anyone can tell the difference between 18K and 14K gold, anyone who wants solid gold in their rep is faced with a choice: Do you want an 18k plated rep that is too light and may not last or a 14k rep that looks off but is closer to the right weight and will last for years with good care?

If we could get 18k parts, that problem would be solved for not too much money.

OK, so why would it be that genuine makers use 18K when it has been pointed out that 18K simply will wear out like in a hot minute.. they must be very stupid? So, why then not use 9K, for 9K much harder... : )

Life is Good!

Klink

Yeah 18ct in general terms is to soft for watches and bracelets, I know that it is used in some cases as well as 24ct but the wear is not good.

Ken

All I have to say to PT is......[size=2]BRING IT PT !!!!!!!

Put em in check !!!!!! Way to bring the proof to the table !!!!!

Ahhh yes. Just another tidbit of information to assit me in my growth and knowlege of REP's.

Being a newbie aint so bad at all. In fact its kind of exciting. :Jumpy:

heh heh

In the grand scheme of things, its probably a damn sight easier to press the links out of 14k gold than steel :lol:

Most midlinks I've seen have been plated and you can clearly see this by looking through the link side on.. But I'm not denying that solid links "dont exist"..

But even if the mid links are solid you've still got a plated bezel and crown :(

Edited by Davey

Excellent post on mid links PT!

Your veracity is appreciated!

Now our next question:

In our replica's, is there truly any gold at all in rose-gold watches?

Or is it simply just a metallurgical imposter composed of other non-precious metals?

I've been wondering this too, what one could do I guess is submerge a midlink in common vinegar and see if it turns green. But I'm not sure if that's a good test because rose-gold is composed of gold and copper. The rose-gold midlink watch I got a while back looks very copper color, but I'm not sure if that means it is just plated with copper or if it is rose-gold.

In the grand scheme of things, its probably a damn sight easier to press the links out of 14k gold than steel :lol:

Most midlinks I've seen have been plated and you can clearly see this by looking through the link side on.. But I'm not denying that solid links "dont exist"..

But even if the mid links are solid you've still got a plated bezel and crown :(

If you're into modding, then there is a guy who has sub and yacht-master solid 18k gold bezels. about 150 GBP. I don't know where to get solid gold crowns, but as far as I know, genuine Rolexes use a genuine triple-wrap as gold is too soft for everyday use, and the crown is the part that is most likely to get a lot of use.