When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Smokers... Electronic Cigarettes

swdivad

I've been smoking for about 36 years, since I was 14...

I hate it, it makes me feel bad, my loved ones hate it, and it's just plain nasty.

So, I'm trying to stop.

I've tried patches, but I still want a cigarette.

I've tried hypnosis, but after a while, I still want to smoke.

It seems that I like the feeling of the cigarette in my hand, and the feeling of breathing in the smoke.

Last night, I happened by a stall at the market selling e-cigarettes, and gave it a try.

So far, I am pleasantly surprised!

I haven't smoked a real cigarette since, and I have 'almost' no desire to... More than any other time I've tried to stop.

Has anyone here tried these? What are your thoughts?

Any suggestions on the best brand/type?

swdivad,

I had tried many things to break the habit, incl those electronic cigs.

What did it for me was a massive scare with a blocked carotid artery, and the Champix tablets.(Govt sponsored)

I'm now off for 3 months, and I know I will never smoke again.

Still crave one nearly every night, but I remind myself of the operation for my artery ( which was horrific), and I the craving instantly goes.

If you haven't tried Champix, talk to your Doc.

O/S

I smoke but I don't like smoking as well. This is my year to give up too. Going to get the Champix and read Eric Carr's book. Which I've had unread for two years.

Was talking about it to a friend recently and she gave me advice that sounded really proper. She said something like "when you get a craving, one of those really bad ones - you just have to remember that that desperate craving will only last a moment, not the rest of your life".

swdivad - what exactly are these e-cigs? Do they use tobacco or something else?

I smoked for 21 years, give or take a year. I have tried numerous techniques like everyone else, what made me stop… I would lay in bed at night and listen to the rattle as I take a breath. My father has infazema and can’t walk twenty feet without needing a break, I knew it wasn’t going to happen to me. I learned to dip snuff while in the Navy, I was an aircrew man and couldn’t smoke for hours at a time. This created a duel problem as I have used both for the last eight years, but it also contributed to the cure. I started to use dip only for two weeks, and then I moved to cigars and dip for two weeks, then I smoked cigars for two months (not inhaling) on and off. The last day I had any nicotine was September 10 2009 I will never use it again. As a side note I did not drink for a month after I quit, this was the most difficult, as well as the most important part. My wife still smokes and all I have to say to her is “you stink”.

Good luck and I hope this works for you. :cc_detective:

I smoked for more then 35 years. Back in 2006 my , then 4 year old , son and i made a promise to each other.

He stops with his "soother" which he in his mouth the whole day and i had to stop smoking.

I took the drug Zyban and after 3 to 4 months i could come through the day easily with out smoking.

One year later they discovered a malignant kidney cancer which has spread to my femur bone in my body and i was happy that i stopped the bad habit.

After 2 times 7 hours of surgery you benefit from the fact that you don't smoke after the long anesthetics.

It's a bad habit which doesn't bring you the pleasure of smoking a good tasting cigarette after you smoked for several years anymore.

For me the fear of the possibility that the cancer may show up in my lungs stops me from taking a cigarette.

Carpe Diem

Cats

I stopped smoking the day I found out my daughter had asthma.

When she was a tot she used to follow me everywhere including when I used to go outside for a smoke, thats how I noticed her cough.

Thats was 5 years ago now.

Ken

best way to give up an old habit is to find a new one ;)

I've smoked for the better part of 20 years and still do ... once/twice a month if/when I'm drinking

but i've made up my mind to find my kicks playing with other toys so I don't care for smoking as much anymore

Someone let me try her E-Cig and i thought it was pretty cool

but it was only because she wanted to bum a real ciggie off me

I guess there's nothing like the real thing

The patches do work, but it needs the full 12 week course. Don't be a hero.

I think keeping them on 24 hours is essential, since the first cigarette of the day is a pretty important one. I would get that new patch on quick-smart in the morning and rub to hell! Then I'd take it off for a shower and stick it back on with band-aids.

Crazy as it sounds, everyone I know who has actually done it for the full 12 weeks has succeeded. Been off cigarettes for 11 years now, and had tried and failed before until given this way to do it. Where folk fail I think is after that first week where the hero thing kicks in; keep the support going for as long as possible.

Best of luck with however you choose to do it.

Now, as soon as I can also kick whisky, prostitutes and cake I'll be fine. :animal_rooster: :animal_rooster: :animal_rooster:

They help, and might possibly be much healthier. I use them. The problem is they are finicky and you are replacing one habit with another. Cold turkey is the way to go - one week of hell, then it gets better by the day. You will never stop craving.

Check this place out for better answers...

My link

I am using an electronic cigarette for the past 8 months and have not touched a tobacco cigarette for that long. I find it the only thing that has ever worked for me including perscription medication and over the counter aids. Those don't work. The success rate is less than 10%. E-cigs have a success rate of around 70%. They consist of a battery, atomizer and a cartridge containing a nicotine solution that is heated up. The heating of the solution results in vapor that is inhaled. The nicotine levels can be changed to fit your liking. The reason for it's success is that it is a replacement to smoking. Not necessarily designed to help you quit the habit all together. I enjoyed smoking, just didn't like the negative health affects. The nicotine solution contains FDA approved propylene glycol, liquid nicotine, distilled water and flavoring. A traditional tobacco cigarette contains over 4000 chemicals and about a dozen of those are lethal carcinogens. There are another 10000 chemicals which are unknown. The FDA is fighting to ban these along with some individual states. There was a proposed ban in California but govenor Schwartzenegger vitoed the proposed bill. There are many celebrities that can attest to the sucess and benefits of e-cigs like Katherine Heigl, Johnny Depp, Leonardo Dicaprio and Rush Limbaugh. The FDA, Big Pharm, and some states want to ban because there are approximately 47.5 million smokers in the US today (Fox news), and a national average of state and federal taxes of $1.45 per pack. If we assume an average of one pack smoked a day, the taxes are nearly 26 billion PER DAY. Consider then the amount the tobacco industry makes per pack, $5-$15 each depending on the state. What are the real motivations behind these bans? It certainly isn't the interest of public health. Have my work place is on e-cigs with great sucess and have been smoke free for almost as long. Just like this forum informs us about watches and other products, I have found the largest e-cig forum in the world. E-Cigarette Forum. I encourage you to visit the forum and read up on thousands of testimonials. You will find dozens of reputable dealers there along with a wealth of information. Good luck to you. I know it is one of the hardest problems to deal with and this is coming from a smoker of 20 years @ a pack a day. Let me know if you have any questions or need more info.