When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why do we buy reps?

Kal Vilmer

Hey merry men!

Just wanted to put this out there:

WHY DO WE SPEND OUR MONEY ON REPS?

Obviously i'll start:

For me, i have always had a hard time justifying the prices that these big companies charge for watches.

I hava wanted to get a nice proper watch for a couple of years, but everytime i try one on, as nice as the watch is

can't really find where al the $$$$ is going. My wife says "your buying a brand name on a bracelet", a friend of mine who's in marketing told me that most expensive watches are basically "prestige for sale". So i recently ordered my first rep and feel like i'm giving these big conglomerates the finger. I'm telling them "screw you and your greed power hungry schemes".

There's also a lack of fresh, innovative, nice designs from more budget oriented brands, right now there is only one "affordable" nice that i like, but it basically is Bulova's homage to the Royal Oak.

I wish that start up or affordable brands would come up with nice designs.

I'm attaching a link to the Bulova i mentioned:

http://www.zappos.com/bulova-mens-marine-star-98b106

So why do you buy them?

Thanks for sharing

Paco

There are also some nice mechanical seikos. Not quartz. There a lot mechanical seikos with good desing...

I bought my replica watches because i want nice desing without spending big $$$$$

Edited by laskos

Couple reason...

1.) Being a P. ME, I love to tinker, modify and develop my own ideas …I could never see myself doing this with a $4K time piece. And if I screw it up, I don’t care.

2.) I like to see how the watch suits me prior to laying down thousands of dollars on some thing that I will be sick of after a couple of weeks. Rep give me a good sense of knowing if I really want the watch before I go break the bank.

3.) A rep is still a rep. Yes they have evolved leaps in bounds in their quality, but they are still not the real thing. Keep in mind reps are a duplicate of work that has already been completed. It is much, much, easier to reverse engineer some thing that has already been made. Looks at some of the high-end Asian brand watches…they are equally expensive as their Swiss counterparts. Why? Because of the R&D required to develop them and NOT copy some thing.

4.) Gen forums a all about how much someone spent on their time piece and not about…well what we have around here.

You wife is right about, "your buying a brand name on a bracelet"…but you can say that about a $1000 purse, $600 blue jeans, $800 shoes and just about anything else…Want to get her going…Tell her that the diamond in here ring is "Just a rock pulled out of the ground." You want to talk some thing that is overpriced… :thumbsupsmileyanim: I takes years to develop and tool up a watch and its movements. Breitling spent 7 years developing, testing and refining their B01 movement. It takes a week to pull a rock out of the ground and turn it into a jewelry quality stone, no R&D required.

I agree with chronoluvvv......The variety. Plus the "bang for the buck"

For the price of 1 genuine, you can try out 10 reps......Wear it for a while and see if you like the style, then sell off the other 9 and buy the gen if you really want it. I like tooooo many different watches and its fun to try all of the different brands that you would never buy the genuine version. I certainly have no problem buying the gen of the ones I really love, but it was fun to try out reps like the Graham and Hublot, I would NEVER buy the gen of those brands, but it was fun to try them just to see what all the fuss was about. Truth is, the reps of most models give you a pretty good indication of the gen without all of the upfront cost and resale depreciation if you didnt like it.

A good example for me is that I would have never bought a SINN until I started buying reps. Now, it is one of my favorite brands and I have a gen U1 and have built an ultra-franken U2. I would have never even given the SINN brand a chance until I heard about how good the rep quality was, tried it and fell in love with the style and realized it was the perfect diameter and thickness for my taste.

Now I'm hooked on Sinn...:whistling: (no pun intented....)

Because beautiful women say to me "You have a beautiful watch. You must also have a beautiful slab of manhood and I want it in my mouth in and out till you shoot your man gravy all over my face".

That sums it up for me, in the most humble terms.:whistling:

I'd agree with the "brand name on a bracelet" comment if most of my watches where actually known by the vast majority of people I interact.

I like variety and good quality reps give me the looks I want with the quality I need.

Some gens are worth the money for the functionality (Rolex GMT, some of the professional dive watches, etc.) but the vast majority is just fashion.

I can't justify the price tags associated with 'brandnames and prestige', so I prefer cheaper alternatives :) I also love watches, and the availabilty of reps has allowed me to try some really nice pieces, which my wallet wouldn't currently allow (even if I didn't object to consumerism on principle)

...and feel like i'm giving these big conglomerates the finger. I'm telling them "screw you and your greed power hungry schemes".

This watch is my way of giving the finger to the companies, reminding myself to not take things too seriously, and that at the end of the day, they're just watches :drinks:

DSCN3668.jpg

I'm with TeeJay. I love watches and, quite simply, can't afford to buy all the gen's that I would like, so rep's mean I can enjoy nice watches without paying the gen prices.

:drinks:

I just think it's crazy how much companies like Rolex charge for their watches, compared to their original selling prices. Sure, inflation has to play some part, but with the Newman Daytona, for example, it's crazy to think what prices the watches now sell for, considering on release, they were unpopular :bangin: Reps're simply restoring that price scheme* :tu:

*in a rather illegal manner :whistling:

Because a very good rep Is just that,very good. Take some of the new Pams,the 288 for example,these things are so close to gens It's scary. I can have the same look, feel,and function as a multi thousand dollar watch,for the most part anyways, on my wrist for a few hundred bucks, I say "sign me the fuk up".:)

Because a very good rep Is just that,very good. Take some of the new Pams,the 288 for example,these things are so close to gens It's scary. I can have the same look, feel,and function as a multi thousand dollar watch,for the most part anyways, on my wrist for a few hundred bucks, I say "sign me the fuk up".:)

Agreed. I dont have the money to spend, and if I did, theres several things I'd rather be throwing it at, rather than a great watch. Stuff like traveling, supporting charities, taking care of my family, reinvesting in my business, ect....

couldn't have said it better myself Max.

+1 gazillion bro! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I agree with chronoluvvv......The variety. Plus the "bang for the buck"

For the price of 1 genuine, you can try out 10 reps......Wear it for a while and see if you like the style, then sell off the other 9 and buy the gen if you really want it. I like tooooo many different watches and its fun to try all of the different brands that you would never buy the genuine version. I certainly have no problem buying the gen of the ones I really love, but it was fun to try out reps like the Graham and Hublot, I would NEVER buy the gen of those brands, but it was fun to try them just to see what all the fuss was about. Truth is, the reps of most models give you a pretty good indication of the gen without all of the upfront cost and resale depreciation if you didnt like it.

A good example for me is that I would have never bought a SINN until I started buying reps. Now, it is one of my favorite brands and I have a gen U1 and have built an ultra-franken U2. I would have never even given the SINN brand a chance until I heard about how good the rep quality was, tried it and fell in love with the style and realized it was the perfect diameter and thickness for my taste.

Now I'm hooked on Sinn...:whistling: (no pun intented....)

totally agree with this :)