When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review Of A Rollie With $600 In Upgrades...

Modified watch send for repair and review

This watch was sent to me for two reasons,

1. to have some work done and corrected, and

2. have a review done on it and what I found, and post it on the forum.

The owner has chosen to do this as in his own words “Too much Bull [censored] and too little performance. Prices are ridiculous, because we are stupid and pay them….if putting photos of my watch on the board and showing the flaws helps to keep some other poor schmuck from getting taken, then it's worth it.”

So with that out of the way, here is what I got in the mail

128059-19964.jpg

First thing I noted, was the lume and the damage on the hour hand…

128059-19965.jpg

Here is a list of what was done to the watch, and the corresponding prices.

120.00 USD -red sub works package-mill cgs,tighten bezel,water test (,the obvious stuff like regrease o-rings , clean dial , clean crystal , clean inner ring like it should be, if using same insert I realign it for u , ) u can also just option for cgs milling for 60 bucks and the obvious stuff is included in that as well

100.00 USD-caseholes or lugholes drilled out and put the fatter pins in it also mill out the bracelet to fit the new pins ok

75.00 USD-refinish case to make it look like a refinished watch like a 1970's watch should look like. no sharp lines on case

100.00 USD-change crown/tube out to a smaller one more like genuine

65.00 USD-new insert with correct ring around the pearl and font size

Total : 460.00 less 10.00 = 450.00 USD (He was so generous, He gave me a 10 dollar discount, because he kept my watch for 3 months!!)

150.00 USD Relume hands and dial with the radium vintage relume material

Grand Total 600 USD

What was done, and what it looks like on inspection.

120.00 USD -red sub works package-mill cgs

128059-19966.jpg

128059-19967.jpg

100.00 USD-caseholes or lugholes drilled out and put the fatter pins in it also mill out the bracelet to fit the new pins

Ziggy comment: the term “Milled” is so overused and does not even describe what was done, the bracelet is “Drilled” NOT milled…it’s the old “would you like a piece of Pollack, or Boston Blue Fish…” Fancy words to make it sound exotic and expensive…

128059-19968.jpg

128059-19969.jpg

128059-19970.jpg

75.00 USD-refinish case to make it look like a refinished watch like a 1970's watch should look like. no sharp lines on case

Here is the modified watch…

128059-19971.jpg

128059-19972.jpg

128059-19973.jpg

Here is a BRAND NEW UNMODIFIED Josh sub to compare it to…

Ziggy comment: I fail to see the difference…what was done for $75??

128059-19974.jpg

128059-19975.jpg

100.00 USD-change crown/tube out to a smaller one more like genuine

Customer comments “HA HA the new one is worse than the original, almost cannot screw in the crown”

Ziggy comment: I guess “more like the genuine” actually means a crown from another rep… you be the judge, $100 upgrade??).

128059-19976.jpg

Genuine crown tube next to one on watch.

128059-19977.jpg

Genuine crown on the RIGHT

128059-19978.jpg

Genuine on the RIGHT

128059-19979.jpg

Genuine crown and tube, NOTE the splines on the inside of the tube for installation with the tool.

128059-19980.jpg

GENUINE tube on the LEFT

128059-19981.jpg

128059-19982.jpg

65.00 USD-new insert with correct ring around the pearl and font size

Customer comment “he did such a great job of tightening the bezel, I had to send it back because you needed a pipe wrench to turn it!!

Ziggy comment: reason for frozen bezel was that the glue was over the inside of the bezel ring and had glued the bezel to the case. Given that this model does NOT have a spring holding the bezel in place, not sure how it was tightened as there is nothing in there, it’s a pressed on fit…metal against metal…

128059-19976.jpg

Relume hands and dial with the radium vintage relume material.

150.00 USD

Ziggy comment: I am speechless at the price and the quality…

128059-19984.jpg

Ziggy comment: Bit of damage to the dial, next to the 6 marker…

128059-19985.jpg

Ziggy comment: The hands can get scratched during relume, in this case, the marks on the hour hand are not due to relume, but due to poor workmanship

128059-19986.jpg

128059-19987.jpg

Ziggy comment: What marked the hands? The minute one is installed too close to the hour one, and that is why the marks sweep across the hand, as they are rubbing together…Lack of or no training in watchmaking? Skill? Lack of attention to detail? Rushed? not likely as this was a 3 month turn around. You decide which one…note also the dirt and lume on the side of the hands…

128059-19988.jpg

Dial shots

Customer comments “… this one really sucks, looks like he had his kid paint the lume on! Uneven, doesn't come out to the edges, just terrible…”

128059-19989.jpg

128059-19990.jpg

128059-19991.jpg

Well that about sums up what I found when I opened the case…

Is what you see worth $600…certainly some of the upgrades and work are questionable, and that is being generous…$150 for the relume, $100 for a replica crown and tube…

Not much else to say… I am going to try and fix the lume on the dial by scraping off the old stuff, and replacing it… as well as do a bunch of other stuff…

What else can be said?

Is this a one-off oddity? Or is this normal… There are members who have been waiting for over a year to have their watches returned, emails and phone calls go unanswered for months – that is until they post on the forum in despair, and by a miracle – get a call from the man himself within a few hours of posting (coincidence??? Probably not).

Sending a watch back in that condition, with that lack of attention to detail, poor quality of workmanship, questions as to what was gotten for the money (Crown, Case Ageing, Lume job) leaves me to say only this, “please inform yourself and know what is NORMAL in terms of cost and quality of what you should expect from anyone working on your watch”. Just cause someone charges inflated prices does not in itself imply quality of workmanship…

Anyone who would send a watch in to this individual after all that has gone on and been posted….well they have no sympathy from me…those that continue to think that this person is the best thing since sliced bread, I have to say, you have a totally different slant on what I consider acceptable practices when your paying for services…

That is not to say that some of the work is not acceptable, but given that people have been waiting for over a year, 140+ watches waiting for work as of July (his words not mine), I can't help but wonder what is the quality of what is being sent out...most likely many are too embarassed to step up and admit they got very little for their money...bitter pill to swallow after all the dollars and months of waiting... Shame on us for not seeing this coming before it got so bad...and shame on us for having a forum where people are afraid to speak up, when many knew that this was going on (I did question some of the snake oil services such as "Crystal repressing" "$40 dial [censored]s" and also posted about those telling me they had serious problems, but that got me nowhere except frustrated and flamed, so I finally gave up...)

RG

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OH

MY

GOD!

The whole thing probably cost nearer $800-$1000 including the original watch, and total shipping charges.

NEARLY $1000!........FOR THAT!

Sorry but thats a really bum deal.

I know its not easy to do any of these mods, and i myself dont have the first idea, but i know what i consider to be a reasonable standard of work that reflects the price paid for the job, and this is nowhere near it.

Rob, I think this evidence is what we honestly need to see!

Thanks for the GREAT imformation! <_<

I had to learn the hard way with Joe also (regarding mods) !

If I knew that was what I was going to get for $600, i would just buy a decent set of starter tools, a gram of lume, 3 cheap subs to get started and go to town.

Guest aclaimsman

I hope that the people who sent their watches to this so called modder get them back in one piece. I had a similar experience with this person and chose to keep my mount shut because his fans would have flamed my [censored] at the time. I would never ever send anything to him again and am of the opinion that he is an amateur at best. Good luck to all who trusted this person.

Edited by aclaimsman

Thank you Rob for posting this and to the owner for insisting that his watch be used for the illustration.

I was aware that prices quoted for works package were ridiculous but this level of workmanship at any price is downright wrong. It is disturbing that so many members wrote glowing reviews of the work that had been performed so often here & TRC. :g:

Not much else to add as your excellent write up painfully makes the point. This is truly amazing & hope that all those missing their watches get them back asap.

Regards,

Jet

I always had good communication. And the work i had done was probably priced appropriatly - but, i did eat almost 400 dollars because of the watches that came in from king were [censored].

I have to believe that he knew the problems before he sent them to me and i was suprised they were serviced and sent. Instead of having the problems corrected then doing the work on the watches.

King promised to replace (through him), but i never got anything.

chaulked it up to part of the learning process here.

and i put the blame on king. But having seen this review - i will not give the benefit of the doubt anymore that he could have missed the serious problem with my day date. - only on 2 days of the week could you see the entire day name - there were varying degrees of coverup for the following days - sold the watch for basicaly the value of the serviced eta movement.

I also must say that since i have used The Zigmeister and, he is top notch proffessional - goes way above and beyond to make sure a job is done.

I constantly brag about how my 47 was hand painted - i.e. relumed and it never fails to get an oohh and ahhh. this just makes me appreciate one more time the great job he did.

thanks zig :) - i got some more fun stuff coming your way soon

There is an interesting thread pinned at the top of the Repair & Upgrade forum titled "Getting Your Movements Serviced Is Easy Now ."

It seems to me that the illustration in this thread by The Zigmeister of everything that can be done incorrectly to mod a rep is at least equally worthy of being pinned.

The cautionary nature of this thread does not need to target a single individual. But it should serve as a warning how important it is to vet the skills and pricing of anyone offering to work on your watches.

If I knew that was what I was going to get for $600, i would just buy a decent set of starter tools, a gram of lume, 3 cheap subs to get started and go to town.

That's what I did...but after just one cheap sub. Here are my results:

MBW Mods

...Go for it! There's nothing like the feeling of doing it yourself.

I may say just this:

here is the power of the SEARCH button...

Unfortunately there will be more people in the future unless we stick this topic and mention the name for the new members to BE AWARE.