When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Do you play an instrument?

seafoam

Sax for 10 years, Did my A.Mus.A AMEB diploma at 17, but never did the Theory component, so I crammed the entire 1st to 5th year syllabus in 8 weeks with private lessons... Passed with Distinction, and proof that cramming works :)

Since then, dabbled with other wind instruments, Shakuhachi flute, Armenian Duduk, various flutes, I've made my own traditional folk instruments, good fun :)

Played saxophone from 8 yrs old through high school. Been playing guitar (or struggling to do so) for the last 12 years.

My guitar playing would be better described as messin around, more than anything :) I love my instruments though. Fender Stratocaster Tex-mex, Fender Strat American standard, Ibanez S470, Takamine EF-261san.

Of course.. for those of you who didn't make the connection... my Username is pronounced "PLAY FENDER" . Unfortunately I've sold the Fenders over the last couple years and now only have the ibanez and takamine. I'll get another Strat eventually!

Played saxophone from 8 yrs old through high school. Been playing guitar (or struggling to do so) for the last 12 years.

My guitar playing would be better described as messin around, more than anything :) I love my instruments though. Fender Stratocaster Tex-mex, Fender Strat American standard, Ibanez S470, Takamine EF-261san.

Of course.. for those of you who didn't make the connection... my Username is pronounced "PLAY FENDER" . Unfortunately I've sold the Fenders over the last couple years and now only have the ibanez and takamine. I'll get another Strat eventually!

I must admit, I always read/thought it as 'Ply-fender', but in my defence, I went for years thinking 'Hermione' was pronounced 'Her-Me-Own' :whistling:

Awesome Red. I use a variety of different programs but mostly CuBase XT and Ableton Live. I master with Wavelab. What sort of stuff do you like to produce and anything released?

To be honest, just about anything that strikes my fancy. Usually my inspiration comes from some new sound or synth module and then I just go from there. I use Pro Tools to track and Samplitude to Master. Only thing currently released is a remake of the Beatles "Come Together" that I did with a friend. You can download it here

Actually, what would be crazy fun, would be lay down a "RWG" track. Someone lays down a drum track, then someone submits a bass, guitar, etc track.

There is a site called Indaba Music that you can do online collaborations with. It seems pretty interesting, but it looks as though you need to pay an annual fee to use it.

You can check it out here

To be honest, just about anything that strikes my fancy. Usually my inspiration comes from some new sound or synth module and then I just go from there. I use Pro Tools to track and Samplitude to Master. Only thing currently released is a remake of the Beatles "Come Together" that I did with a friend. You can download it here

WOW. Very impressive production Red. Was that you singing?

WOW. Very impressive production Red. Was that you singing?

Thanks B... no it was a good friend of mine singing. I produced/recorded the track and then mixed & mastered it.

I quite like your stuff as well (especially Tympanich Mechanic - Telephonies). Some great sounds you are using there!!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks B... no it was a good friend of mine singing. I produced/recorded the track and then mixed & mastered it.

I quite like your stuff as well (especially Tympanich Mechanic - Telephonies). Some great sounds you are using there!!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks. Yeah, Tympanic Mechanic is one of my 3 alias production names and probably my favorite "hat" to wear in the studio.

Guitar, acoustic( more) and electric( less).

I am 12- string acoustic guitar fan( big hand`s and fingers, 12s neck is wider, better to play for me).

I can play a little with accordion also, my dad was teaching me when I was young. But I changed accordion to guitar soon..

I must admit, I always read/thought it as 'Ply-fender', but in my defence, I went for years thinking 'Hermione' was pronounced 'Her-Me-Own' :whistling:

Someone has GOT to set the record straight! I originally chose PlaiFender as my first email address in 1997, because the email addres "PlayFender" was taken! Ever since then, i've just stuck with the alternate spelling :)

Someone has GOT to set the record straight! I originally chose PlaiFender as my first email address in 1997, because the email addres "PlayFender" was taken! Ever since then, i've just stuck with the alternate spelling :)

Now that, is a good reason to keep the spelling :good::drinks:

If you play a Taka Plai, then you don't mess around!! My Pop plays and he has one, I remember he saved up for so long to be able to afford one, we didn't have much when we were young. But he still has it to this day and it gets better and better each time he plays it!!

ST4, that was funny dude, one of my cats just shit and ran cause I burst out laughing when I heard it!! Bit Eddi Izzard in there me thinks!! ;)

Sixx :bones:

Ha Sixx , apologies for the cat mess. Eddie is a quite a character and I think I know that shop in Tooting having lived in Streatham for a bit.

I actually just taken up the Nose flute , not the longer peruvian version , but the shorter rural type. I like to think I'm somewhat cutting edge with my choices

l_7a89e5164c204c3fa5bee54e71c8e2fe.jpg

If you play a Taka Plai, then you don't mess around!! My Pop plays and he has one, I remember he saved up for so long to be able to afford one, we didn't have much when we were young. But he still has it to this day and it gets better and better each time he plays it!!

ST4, that was funny dude, one of my cats just [censored] and ran cause I burst out laughing when I heard it!! Bit Eddi Izzard in there me thinks!! ;)

Sixx :bones:

Hey Nikki..

You're right. Taka actually has quite a range of acoustics, going anywhere from $350- $3,000.

Funny story behind my Takamine:

I saved up all summer my sophomore year of high school to buy a $300 Takamine cedar top cutaway. I went to the store, bought it for 300 bones and played it on and off for year. A couple years ago, I was thinking about selling it, since it got no real playing time. I went on Ebay to see what I could get for it, but realized that over the years I had forgotten the model number. I look in the soundhole and find the model number, type EF-261san into Ebay's search bar, and the results I got were astounding. EVERY single guitar was well over $1,100usd used!!

I was so confused. I went back and found the receipt from 1999 (I keep all my receipts of "big" purchases) and it turns out that the music store sold me the wrong model GUITAR for $300!! They gave me a $1400(new) guitar for $300!!

Needless to say, I decided not to sell it, since it's very unprobable that I'll ever be able to afford one again! :thumbsupsmileyanim: