When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is the MBW retaining ring difficult to press on?

Robaer

In some cases, the ring may be tight, especially when combining an MBW retention ring with a gen crystal.

You can try sanding some of the matrial away, checking the fit regularly to ensure you don't take off too much material. Or, you can also try the hot/cold technique that Ronin recently posted a tutorial on.

One thing is for sure- You definitely want to get that ring seated flush with the case, as that is what will provide the water resistance at the crystal.

Best of luck,

//ubi

You may have to sand the inside of the ring a little bit. My MBW/Clarks crystal did anyway. I ended up have JMB custom fabricate me one. You should end up with the retaining ring having an inner diameter about .004" smaller than the crystal. This should allow you to have everything fit the way it should!

Apply silicon grease at the bottom outside edge of the crystal, after pushing it onto the case. Put some more on the inside face of the ring, and heat the ring too hot to touch. Then press that bad boy on there. I can push mine onto my 1665 with my bare hands and two hockey pucks using this method.

Warning: if it's too tight, it will crack and/or stress fracture the crystal.

I have a gen t-127 on my MBW 5513 case and it went on just fine. I tried to install a clarkes t-19 and the ring wouldnt press on. I would probably try sanding the outside lip of the crystal a bit before the retaining ring.

If you're going to sand the "wall" of the plexi, remember to finish it with a high gloss polish. Much of the beauty of a gen crystal comes from the clear sides and the internal reflections.

If it was MY decision, I'd sand the inside of the retaining ring. Once you go with a gen crystal you'll never be satisfied with anything else.

It could be that a little grease is all it takes.

Consider the pressures between that ring and a clean piece of plexiglass; the stiction (static friction) is probably what kept your watchmaker from getting it to go. Once in motion however, the ring ought to keep sliding until it's in place.

It's like seals on a shock absorber: they prevent the shock from being reactive to small bumps, simply because they're so stuck to the damper rods. Hit the rods with a shot of WD-40 and your shocks are magically smoother.

So replicate that by adding some slippery stuff to your crystal, and the ring should slide into place without a lot of drama. Have your watchmaker go for the gusto and cram that thing on in one stroke. Don't let her be a wuss and stop halfway down.

I bet it will surprise both of you.

Did the watchmaker have caseback on when she tried pressfitting the crystal on? If not the case might be bent now. Happened to me on my first one as I didn't sand the retaining ring. $150 or so down the tubes as the caseback wouldn't sit flush after that.

The following builds I did I sanded the ring and had no issues.

LOL....I missed that "hockey puck" method...you have it posted somewhere?

I guess the main detail to be aware of is if the crystal/cyclops is in proper position before pressing the ring.....it sucks to press down that ring, then mount the movement and notice that the cyclops is a hair up/down from the DW......

how to insure proper position of the crystal?

Apply silicon grease at the bottom outside edge of the crystal, after pushing it onto the case. Put some more on the inside face of the ring, and heat the ring too hot to touch. Then press that bad boy on there. I can push mine onto my 1665 with my bare hands and two hockey pucks using this method.

Warning: if it's too tight, it will crack and/or stress fracture the crystal.

• 2 weeks later...