When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

16600 Franken build

txcollector

I just purchased one of Jackjo SSD and a gen insert. Will I need a gen dial as well? Is the rep good enough? If I need a dial where to find one (other than ebay)?

thanks

Hang around in VRM, mate... They do appear from time to time. :) Good luck with your project, hope to see beauty pics of 'em soon!

"Good enough" for what?

That's a question only you can answer.

Fitting a gen dial to an ETA movement requires altering the dial feet, FYI.

Ermm.. not sure about 'altering'... but 'cutting off' & 'sticking down'. ;)

Hi...

i've built two SSD based frankens using gen dials, gen inserts etc... The rep dial is good, very good but gens can be picked up quite cheaply so IMO its worth the swap but you'll need to get the hands lumed to match the glow... And you will have to cut the dial feet which makes re-selling the dial only difficult....

No the SSD will not take a gen crystal, case is a completely different build to the gen...

ssd-4.jpg

SD-3.jpg

Cheers

P.

meaning does the rep hold up to a close inspection (without a lupe)? DW, texture, color, etc.

I have one with the following mods:

[] SSD case with working HEV

[] Gen dial (rare)

[] Gen bezel insert

[] Gen tube and crown

Here is what it looks like, so you can compare.

IMG_6531-1.jpg

this image was borrowed from the sales ad. I hope the previous owner doesn't mind, but it is and excellent photo, much better than mine. You can see how good this one is!

Only thing that I would change would be to get a lumi pearl, and the hands need more superlumionova, as they don't glow like the dial indices. other than those two very small items which can be easily remedied,I can't find much to fault the watch.Honestly, you just can't beat a genuine dial, as it's what everyone sees first.

This is the top one of the two in polexpete's post. I was fortunate enough to pick this one up from a guy who bought it later after pete sold it. It's a great watch, keeping COSC time!!

post-27693-0-40836900-1295041585.jpg

Hi...

i've built two SSD based frankens using gen dials, gen inserts etc... The rep dial is good, very good but gens can be picked up quite cheaply so IMO its worth the swap but you'll need to get the hands lumed to match the glow... And you will have to cut the dial feet which makes re-selling the dial only difficult....

any suggestions where to get one? NOS would be awesome.

I'm also working on a couple of SD builds. I came across a gen dial a few weeks ago on vrf and bought it. There is a nice tripple 6 gloss dial on fleabay now! I bought a rep matte triple 6 dial off fleabay recently but waiting for it to show up so I can start that project. Keep searching the usual places, I had some great advice from a veteran here, "patience."

I can't wait to see everyone's SD builds!! My fav rollie!!

Here's a current thread running over on RG

http://www.repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=129064

Whether you put a gen SD dial or a nice aftermarket SD dial in there is up to you, but either way, it can make for a very nice franken when you add in a gen insert and gen crown (and tube). These watches are generally pretty WR and you can build a great beater with a little bit of work. And we all know it's quite a bit cheaper than plunking down $4-5K for a used gen.

By now we all know the shortcomings of the SSD, but luckily the other 99.99% of the population doesn't. These can be made into some fine modded reps w/ a little bit of work.

is there any way to modify the rehaut and add the gen crystal?

BK posted a few pics of the disassembled SD and I think it may be doable.

Forget it, gen construction is complicated ask WM9. As Alligoat says no-one except the likes of us will ever call out a franken SSD. And the great thing is they're easy to get to this level..

Cheers

P.

Forget it, gen construction is complicated ask WM9. As Alligoat says no-one except the likes of us will ever call out a franken SSD. And the great thing is they're easy to get to this level..

Cheers

P.

Thanks mate.

PS: If I could ask George a question nowadays I don't think that would be it ;)

I'm comparing the pics of the OEM glossy dial and the rep and quite frankly the differences are minimal. All I can see is the 5-10-15 etc markers that are slightly fatter on the OEM. Apart from lume (which I don't care that much) the rep dial is almost perfect.

I'll probably save some money on this one. Am I missing something?