When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

List annoying things on a rep.

cougaree

For me, they are:

1. Damaged / dirty chrome hands.

2. Uneven minute markers on the dial.

3. Loose bezel.

4. Short crown tube.

5. Sharp bracelet (poor finish).

6. Bad / off centered pearl.

7. Uneven crystal install.

8. Watch hands not parallel to the dial.

9. Noisy rotor.

10.Plastic movement holders.

What about you?

Aside from the fact that they are reps...

No matter how much effort they put into building a TT Rolex rep,the end link sides are not plated and the sale and effort wasted. Man thats annoying.

And sunken DW's on Breitlings.

Oh and that they cant be bothered to update the Navitimer rep,the money they lose there.

Oh and....and....

;)

The only things which really annoy me, are irrelevant to it being a rep, and just apply to watches in general... For me, I don't like:

Weak lume (I'm not expecting C1 or SuperLuminova properties from the factory, but I do at least want the dial to be clear if lights go out...)

Lack of water resistance (If a £15 Softech Submariner can be resistant enough for swimming/shower, what excuse is there for a rep to fog up?)

Other than that, I'm pretty tolerant of the little inconsistencies and flaws in reps, which could just as easily be flaws in manufacture in a gen, as such things can/do happen :bangin:

Lack of water resistance (If a £15 Softech Submariner can be resistant enough for swimming/shower, what excuse is there for a rep to fog up?):

Have to agree, some reps are based on case constructions that are inherently designed to be waterproof, I don't get it, if the rep factories go to the trouble of machining gasket seats and then not actually putting gaskets in during the assembly phase, then that's just silly. And let's not kid ourselves, these reps are not cheap, they're just cheaper than their gen counterparts. That's the essential difference in Psychology between the Swiss-European standard of construction and the Chinese. it doesn't take much more to throw on a gasket, if everything else is already there, but those final details undo all the good work done previously. And if a 15 quid watch can do a better job of being waterproof without copying a proprietary, tested design, then what's the rep factories excuse?

Rant over... :)

Have to agree, some reps are based on case constructions that are inherently designed to be waterproof, I don't get it, if the rep factories go to the trouble of machining gasket seats and then not actually putting gaskets in during the assembly phase, then that's just silly. And let's not kid ourselves, these reps are not cheap, they're just cheaper than their gen counterparts. That's the essential difference in Psychology between the Swiss-European standard of construction and the Chinese. it doesn't take much more to throw on a gasket, if everything else is already there, but those final details undo all the good work done previously. And if a 15 quid watch can do a better job of being waterproof without copying a proprietary, tested design, then what's the rep factories excuse?

Rant over... :)

Absolutely so :) I have a budget DateJust which I only ever wear on a leather strap, as it's as a replica of a costume piece from a show, but moving asside from that, when I first got the watch, if I recall, it fogged up during my flood test, despite having all appropriate gaskets :g: Maybe just a tiny breach around the crystal, and not really an issue when the watch is only ever worn on leather and never intended to get wet, but as you say, it's the principle of it... The DJ would've cost the factory more to make than the £15 sub, which has not just one, but two gaskets on the stem of the crown to create the water resistance, so as you say, what's the factory's excuse... :pardon:

[Edit to add] The £15 sub is plastic...

Here we go:

Bad/stripped screw down crown tubes.

Not even splash resistant in a dive watch.

Weak/missing lume.

Rose gold plating is actually copper. Polish it daily!

Dirty/defective movement not able to be regulated +/- 2 minutes per day without complete overhaul.

For me, they are:

1. Damaged / dirty chrome hands.

2. Uneven minute markers on the dial.

3. Loose bezel.

4. Short crown tube.

5. Sharp bracelet (poor finish).

6. Bad / off centered pearl.

7. Uneven crystal install.

8. Watch hands not parallel to the dial.

9. Noisy rotor.

10.Plastic movement holders.

What about you?

All those but i have found them all on gens as well

I had a Navytimer. The E6B-beazel did not calculate right! <ROFL>

Any way! During this period I studied the manual posted on this forum to really learn how this E6B was working! I could not believe the beazel was not constructed the right way! I was sure it was me to blame, but it was not me....

I bought a new Chase-Durer (gen) to test, and; The E6B bazel is working!

(The Chase-Durer is for sale).

8-)