When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1655 to 1675, WSO retaining ring questions and clarks 116 fit

cib0rgman

Today I received that final piece to finish the conversion from 1655-1675 nevertheless is the most important one that makes the watch a 1675. is the wholesaleoutlet complete bezel assembly. It looks like the tropic is too big for the retainig ring or Vice-versa I am using a Clarks 116 plexi, is there another plexi that I can use?

WP_000063.jpg

WP_000064.jpg

That should be the right crystal, and if its a Clark, you shouldn't have any issues.

Olivax has the same set up you do -

Have you tried using the old retaining ring with the WO spring and bezel/insert?

You can also try the old applied physics method of putting the crystal in the freezer for a minute and the retaining ring on the hot plate of your coffee maker for an equal amount of time and then try assembling them.

Will need mod the GC? i have a 1675 gen, but i would like to make another with other dial (Juki arab dia, is for 1575 Rolex mov).

Do you know the diameter that fit in Josh 1655 case?

The WSO bezel fit perfect in these case?

Will glue the dial at movement?

Edited by hava

I sanded and now it fits, but I would to have a kind prefect fit where no sanding is need it. besides i cracked a little bit when on the side maybe i pushed too hard. by the way i have the dial back from The Zigmeister I am still waiting on the Mercedes hands and still need a GMT hand. any ideas. I was gong to use a zodiac 75b but is impossible to get one at least for a good price,

This has got to be one of the toughest builds out there. I should have mine done soon.

I am with you bro, last night I was removing the 1655 gmt hand from the asian movement and the whole gmt wheel came off, I should order an ETA but I was going to switch the movement and try to use a gen date-wheel.

here is dial before restoration

move-dial.jpg

this is after The Zigmeister's magic

c1.jpg

The Zigmeister did an amazing job on the dial can't even tell it is the same one. I was going to use the 75b but supplier sent the wrong movement and I had to get a refund. I to wanted to use gen date wheel and gmt hand but in the end had to give up on that. Here are some pics for my build.

57095065.jpg

24147780.jpg

insert3.jpg

insert2.jpg

insert1.jpg

handsdial1.jpg

Good luck with your build. It is worth it.

"I am with you bro, last night I was removing the 1655 gmt hand from the asian movement and the whole gmt wheel came off, I should order an ETA but I was going to switch the movement and try to use a gen date-wheel."

I have had quite a bit of experience with the old style eta/GMT conversions with the 24 hour hand geared to the 12 hour hand (non adjustable).

Also a lot of experience with early Asian DG 2812/13 etc with non adjustable GMT hand plus later DG 2813 etc with adjustable GMT hand.

note:

I quickly gave up on Eta 2836 GMT conversions with adjustable hands. :thumbdown:

Conclusions:

1...Asian GMT (DG 2812/2813 etc) are Ok as long as they are clean and properly lubricated. They are fine for vintage models because of the slower beat rate.

2...Asian GMT with adjustable GMT hands do not cause problems but it is not easy to synchronize the 12 and 24 hour hands because of slack in the 24 hour hand drive. There is usually enough room between the hands to prevent hands from dragging on each other.

3...Eta GMT conversions are fine as long as the incorrect hand stack is not a bother. The hand stack (24H, 12H, M, SS) is correct for earlier GMT/ExpII.

4...Converted Eta 2836 movements give very little trouble except for hand clearance problems. It is a good idea to install taller hour wheel and canon pinion. Sometimes you can get by with the regular second hand if the tube is long enough...if not, you will need a longer ss pinion to match the H wheel and CP. Use a dial washer if needed to prevent 24H wheels/hands from dropping 'out of gear'.

5...Most of the converted eta/GMT had date wheel overlays and they are harder to work with at first but after working on a couple it gets easy as you learn how to work around a screw etc being covered by the smaller ID of the date wheel overlay.

6...You can remove all the 24H 'guts' from an eta 2836 GMT conversion (28800 bph) and swap them into an eta 2846 (21600 bph).

7...A long and troublefree service life always depends on careful assembly, proper lubrication, and cleanliness.

+1! on the The Zigmeister dial job. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I just ordered all the parts for my 1675 build

josh asian 1655

ETA 2893-2

I got 2 rough gen dials off VRF. Not sure which one i am going to use yet.

WSO990 bezel set

I just ordered all the parts for my 1675 build

josh asian 1655

ETA 2893-2

I got 2 rough gen dials off VRF. Not sure which one i am going to use yet.

WSO990 bezel set

so the eta movement will fit the asian 1655? Please I need to know ASAP so i can buy the mt movement.

so the eta movement will fit the asian 1655? Please I need to know ASAP so i can buy the mt movement.

you need all kind of parts to get the hands higher - but it will fit.

cheers,

Frank

you need all kind of parts to get the hands higher - but it will fit.

cheers,

Frank

Well in that case is not something i can do myself. I am sure Rob should be able to do this; the question will he do it. this is getting out of hands.

thanks