When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A ? about Gens

tabularasa415

I know this is our rep space, but does anyone have any recommendations as to where I should be shopping to purchase my first gen rolex? I think I want a Sub or an Air King. I've looked on rolex forums. I've looked on ebay. Hell, I've looked at the AD and a local watch shop guy. I want a good deal, though. It seems as if I can get a 16610 for around $4K I'm doing well. Are the watches on rolexforums trusty? What about some of them on ebay?

Maybe I should just wait and find one I want and let all of you guys pick it apart via hyperlink.

Thanks,

--Jer

I know this is our rep space, but does anyone have any recommendations as to where I should be shopping to purchase my first gen rolex? I think I want a Sub or an Air King. I've looked on rolex forums. I've looked on ebay. Hell, I've looked at the AD and a local watch shop guy. I want a good deal, though. It seems as if I can get a 16610 for around $4K I'm doing well. Are the watches on rolexforums trusty? What about some of them on ebay?

Maybe I should just wait and find one I want and let all of you guys pick it apart via hyperlink.

Thanks,

--Jer

If you could find a way to get a Rolex from France or Germany, that would be fine. Better choice for both vintage or modern, Rolex watches in USA are overpriced

I bought my first rolex used from a watch forum. I got a great price.

I researched the seller throughly..and I mean throughly!

My watch was not all that expensive, but I think If I was going to spend a small fortune... I would do it local.

You see how good reps are, I think I would want a higher end watch checked by an ad.

Watches sold in Europe have to add 17% - 20% VAT on top of the asking price. I find the US to definately be cheaper than Asia, and I'll bet cheaper than a lot of the Euro Zone.

This forum is good for new, nearly new, and recent pieces. I think the US has the best 2nd-hand market.

http://www.rolexforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Edited by lgking

I've bought 5 of my 6 gen Rollies on ebay. The 6th came from VRM- Vintage Rolex Market. I agree with what lgking says- the US second hand market is the best pricewise. Just make sure you know your seller. With patience, I would think you could pick up an older 16610 for $3,000-3,500. But figure in $250 or so for a service- some 16610's are 10-22 years old- the model's had a good run- almost as good as the 5513.

Thanks,

--Jer

From me! I have a blue TT Sub Circa 1998 if you're interested! Shop the internet first for pricing!

Hike

I've definitely been studying the usual forums (watchuseek, timezone & rolexforums). I see a lot of the same sellers on all three forums and it looks as though they do quite a bit of selling on there. If I contact them and ask them questions and finally (probably after getting the head-nod from a few expert members here that I'm going to be getting an authentic watch) making an offer, is it frowned upon to make what I consider to be a fair market offer? I generally use completed ebay listings as my basis for an offer. I don't want to offend any sellers, but the worse they can do is say no, right?

I've definitely been studying the usual forums (watchuseek, timezone & rolexforums). I see a lot of the same sellers on all three forums and it looks as though they do quite a bit of selling on there. If I contact them and ask them questions and finally (probably after getting the head-nod from a few expert members here that I'm going to be getting an authentic watch) making an offer, is it frowned upon to make what I consider to be a fair market offer? I generally use completed ebay listings as my basis for an offer. I don't want to offend any sellers, but the worse they can do is say no, right?

And before anyone asks, of course my user name in the gen forums is different from my user name for all of our rep forums :bangin:

From me! I have a blue TT Sub Circa 1998 if you're interested! Shop the internet first for pricing!

Hike

Well, I'd definitely trust any of my brothers here over any outsider, for sure! I appreciate the looking out, my friend, but I'm more of a SS sort of fellow. I actually have a TT datejust that was given to me by my grandfather for high school graduation, but I really don't care for the TT look. I simply could never part with it due to the sentiment attached, and I've actually had the damn thing serviced in the last few years; however, it just sits in the watch box mostly. I wear it home to family functions... like, umm, Christmas. :rolleyes:

i'd buy from vrf, sellers often double list on ebay simultaneously for hundreds more because of ebays outrageous associated fees. so i would avoid ebay and stick with the wis veterans on vrf for a good deal and after service. of course with everything in life be vigilant of scams as they do occur from time to time. good recent deals seem to be with the 14060 no date which can be had for around $3200-$4100 depending on age and the 16800 date averages $3400-4000. my preference would be for the 14060, that little cyclops becomes an eyesore.

For a current model, I would head to your local Rolex dealer. That way, you can try the watch on & will not have to question your watch's authenticity. Later, if there is a problem, you have a real person in a real place to go back to.

For a used/vintage model, since you do not have a good deal of knowledge/experience, I would stick to VRF or TZ (but check the buyer's references on VRF before you buy). You can always post some good, clear pics of a watch you are interested in either here or there to get input from more knowledgeable members.

Watches sold in Europe have to add 17% - 20% VAT on top of the asking price. I find the US to definately be cheaper than Asia, and I'll bet cheaper than a lot of the Euro Zone.

This forum is good for new, nearly new, and recent pieces. I think the US has the best 2nd-hand market.

http://www.rolexforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9

It is true about the VAT added on, but if you return to the US you can get that reimbursed at customs when you leave at the airport. It is a bit of hassle, but for an expensive item definitely worth it. Ask at the dealership for form you need, they will know.