When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

who does this belong to because you've upset some people

signumboy

That linked thread is one of the most balanced I've ever seen on a gen forum.

It definitely started out as insanity. Just one choice quote: "If that is indeed your mates watch, you need a better class of friends though. Be careful nothing rubs off on you.". And then I've seen multiple "losers", being a lower class of citizenry, etc. But in the middle, voices of reason and moderation made their appearance. Its sad that THIS thread is amongst the most mature.

I get it though, those forums are no place to show off reps. But damn, do they seem to attract an immature sort of individual. Not ripping on the forums, but definitely some of the posters seem to be the sort of person who you'd hate if you knew in real life as well.

I thiNk a large part of it is jealousy as well... They spend lots and lots of money on the gens and then "us people" spend a fraction of that on a decent rep. Also, there is a huge area of customizing the reps. They can't do thay with a gen so while we are taking about parts and really making our watches our own, they are stuck with what they have!

Its just so upsetting that some people are stupid enough to post reps on gen forums and attract unnecessary attention!! Its a shame some gen forum users dont realise what a wealth of knowledge rep forums are - not only a place to buy a cheap "fake" watch. Where else would you be able to learn how to modify a watch, service a movement, create a masterpiece..........I mean its VERY easy to just walk into an AD, splash some cash and buy a gen. But here, some of the nicest pieces have been created by sourcing parts, patience, time and effort.........(which in turn makes wearing the watch alot more meaningful).

Hope it all just breezes over.......

I thiNk a large part of it is jealousy as well... They spend lots and lots of money on the gens and then "us people" spend a fraction of that on a decent rep.

Oh yeah, I saw one hilarious post somewhere there - some guy was devasteted that rep owners can ENJOY their reps, just like real wis enjoy their precious watches, it's not right! It should be banned to enjoy reps :rofl: But I understand the frustration - some poor fella saves for months to buy one rolex, and these obnoxious rep owners have lots of them, including paul newmans and DRSDs that most of gen owners can enjoy only on pictures. Of course there is this fine argument about rep quality, but in the last years, with the help of gen parts this is pretty much not valid.

One more thing that always cracks me up, is the talk about "morality", "ethics". I've never seen some wis sayin' "Ok, I'll sell my DSSD, buy Seiko, and give the money to the charity, it's not moral to spend 9 grands on Rolex if kids in Africa are starving". But I guess it's the rep owners that are losers, both in life and moral, that's what they say. Anyway, I think that if it's socially acceptable to enjoy painting reproductions, why shouldn't we enjoy some beautiful designs on our hands? :winkiss:

Actually the issue isn't usually about hanging a reproduction of the Mona Lisa on your wall. It is trying to sell it as gen for $200 million. Ultimately, less informed gen buyers should be scared to death about these reps. At some level it isn't fair to them or us.

In spite of some silly comments in the thread everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I would never begrudge someone buying the real thing. Many folks here do.

Its just so upsetting that some people are stupid enough to post reps on gen forums and attract unnecessary attention!! Its a shame some gen forum users dont realise what a wealth of knowledge rep forums are - not only a place to buy a cheap "fake" watch. Where else would you be able to learn how to modify a watch, service a movement, create a masterpiece..........I mean its VERY easy to just walk into an AD, splash some cash and buy a gen. But here, some of the nicest pieces have been created by sourcing parts, patience, time and effort.........(which in turn makes wearing the watch alot more meaningful).

Hope it all just breezes over.......

Very,very, very well said. :thumbs: Mike

Actually the issue isn't usually about hanging a reproduction of the Mona Lisa on your wall. It is trying to sell it as gen for $200 million. Ultimately, less informed gen buyers should be scared to death about these reps. At some level it isn't fair to them or us.

+1, many of us have the luxury to be able to discuss, analyze and get informed about what can be repped easily, what requires a ton of work and what can't be done.

If you are looking for buy one of those vintage pieces thinking you have the real thing because you think you can compare with some Internet photos and see that kind of replication you start wondering if stuff in your watch box is real or not.

I am always amazed at how angry some forums can get over something that really only seems to dig out their personal and social insecurities. Just because you spend a fortune on a watch does not make you a person of taste and greatness, it just means you prioritised something over something else. Buying and trying reps is a very cost effective way of trying different watches out and enables you to play and mod them without risking major amounts of money should things not go to plan. That is the clever way...

I am always amazed at how angry some forums can get over something that really only seems to dig out their personal and social insecurities. Just because you spend a fortune on a watch does not make you a person of taste and greatness, it just means you prioritised something over something else. Buying and trying reps is a very cost effective way of trying different watches out and enables you to play and mod them without risking major amounts of money should things not go to plan. That is the clever way...

:thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Great entertainment this me thinks :bangin: but certainly this is an unfortunate situation for many genuine watch owners (since most have great difficulties in telling the difference between a pretty good replica and the real deal...)

:bicycle:

• 2 weeks later...

I spend quite a lot of time here reading about this and that watch.... But I've always bought gen watches, partly because I always wanted an IWC port chrono but the reps have difficulty doing that seconds hand at 6 o'clock thing... So I bought the gen in the end.

But I have lots of respect for the guys here because...It seems to me that the guys here in rep land actually appriciate the effort that goes into a watch more then in gen land, mainly cause if I buy a gen I just expect it to work and if it breaks I take it back to the dealer, while in rep land you guys expect the watches to be not perfect and it's normal to take it apart and fix various things in it, and in doing so you gain a larger appreciation for the art of watch making. No one in gen land ever talks about how nice and even a lume job is, or who does great AR. It is just expected to be so.

Like the whole discussion about putting graphite into the movement of a rep IWC port chrono to get it's reliability up. That's interesting!

Just my 2 cents

Crikey - I have not been so amused and confused in a long time.

There is a guy at TZ with over 14,000 posts - obviously a VERY IMPORTANT PERSON,........... with nothing else to do in his life. He talks endlessly about 'losers'..........come and join the REAL WORLD!

This is not a dig at high post counts here. Our senior members are helpful, respectful and knowledgeable. Rarely seen to be preaching from the 'soapbox of superiority'.

I own some top end gens and some reps (like many of us). Everything has a value and a place.

These particular TZ guys with high post counts are a 'marketing mans dream'.......who are the 'plebs' (according to another 15k post count TZ member!) and 'losers' here? Us, or the people who spend $10-20k on $1-2k value of materials (max!) - because it has a high end fashion house, designer lable on it?

Not to mention the unbelievable, extortionate, over inflated vintage Rolex prices today! I have a passion for vintage Rolex watches (that is my self modded rep collection), but would I pay $10-35k for a 40/50 year old basic SD, or Sub? Get a life...........and start living it.

Who is really being pretentious ? HYPOCRITES...most of them!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is ironic on a day that I posted here to get advice on how best to join one, or two gen forums - I am rethinking that need now! :whistling:

Sure dont post Reps on TZ, dont wear Reps to the AD, dont sell Reps off as Gens - just enjoy your hobby.....or, as John Wayne would say....'get on your horse, drink your milk and get the heck outa here'. (he never said that , did he?)

Time to put my soapbox away.....:Jumpy:

Edited by Mapman57

So do gen owners in those forum go, look I bought this watch for $xxxx and someone comes along, I've got it too! Wow! Our watch totally identical! Awesome... Thread ends there till another one comes along and notice that his gen looks like gen a and gen b... Woo wee!

Now that would be kinda of a thread killer won't it?

In the rep forums u get tons of ideas being thrown to improve on what u have, and the actual skills come from many respected guys who tear theirs apart! Mix parts! Shaves this n that.. It's a whole different ballgame of owning one and the fun of having guts to mess the work.

And yes, many here owns more than 1 gen!

My 2 cents, apologies if anyone is or was offended. I can't afford to offend douche.. :)

Hahaha... I love you guys. I have friends here who have more and more valuable gens then 90% of those douchebags. I'd agree that most of us with modded watches are people who appreciate vintage pieces but refuse to pay the over-inflated priced they command in the sales community. They're just [censored] b/c we're basically wearing the same thing, with cooler provenance, that may (with almost all gen parts) cost around $3-4K vs their $20-40K. Just my $.02.

--Jer

In the rep forums u get tons of ideas being thrown to improve on what u have, and the actual skills come from many respected guys who tear theirs apart! Mix parts! Shaves this n that.

Agree, the rep guys are the ones who really scrutinize every aspect of the watch with a magnifying glass.

It is unfortunate that some gen owners can only appreciate the amount of money they spent on the watch and yet know absolutely nothing about it or what makes it special. I think that is the real difference.

The gen owners on this forum have a real appreciation for the watches they own and wear and the rep/gen owners really appreciate craftsmanship at any level. Doesn't mean the owner spent $$$$$ on the watch. The amount that was spent, whether a small amount or a large amount is never really the issue (or even discussed for that matter).

I must say I am proud to be a member of such a large community of real "losers" :D

• 3 months later...

Here's the thing... all rep enthusiast obviously love (and buy, or aspire to buy) gen watches. We get every bit as much satisfaction from the gens as they do. But we also get the satisfaction of, not only owning, but also modding our reps.

I draw a parallel with cars: Not everyone can own a ferrari, and if you do save up and buy a ferrari 355, you're probably not going to modify it. But that doesn't stop you from owning, and more importantly, modding cheaper cars like skylines, sti's, lancer evo's etc etc. Modifying is infinitely more interesting than the one-upmanship that inherently goes with gen-only ownership.

The snooty gen-only brigade are missing out on a whole other side to watches... the nitty gritty of how they work and are put together; The nuances between and among different movements etc.

The best thing (imo) about the rep scene is that you really learn about watches. Anyone who can afford a similar amount of gens as the average rep enthusiast owns reps, probably wont have the inclination to pore over every little detail about the workings of the watch, and so the elitist mentality is able to come to the fore.

At the end of the day, they're the ones who are missing out.