When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Date wheel for a 1680

BGGodwin

Hello all you Rolex enthusiasts! I've decided I need a new date wheel for my Red Sub and I found a couple aftermarket ones on ebay. Now, here's where I need your help... I am clueless about the date wheel world. I found this WHITE one and this SILVER one. I do know that gen movements turn the dial the opposite way of rep movements. So here are the questions:

-will these work or will are they for gen movements?

-white or silver? And why?

Any other information you'd like to throw in, hit me with it!

It seems that date wheel overlays are a big/major Achilles heel of any Rolex project. I have some white ones but the font is weak. I have wanted to experiment with some but I am to the point where I don't have any time to just "play" anymore...

this is why ive decided to go with the 5513... no date font, no date alignment issues, and no fugly cyclops

Amen, Just received a 1680, this week, and the dates on the dwo are aligned to the left of the date window and the mag lens is aligned to the right of the date window. I put a Clark 127 on but it is exactly the same as with the original crystal. Since I believe the Clark to be gen-like, then the other two components are the ones misagligned. Solution...I have asked the dealer to sell me a 5512 dial and hands for ETA. It will be puuuurrrrffect then. None of those problems. I'll remove all the date changing mechanism from the movement.

Edited by preacher62

this is why ive decided to go with the 5513... no date font, no date alignment issues, and no fugly cyclops

I wanted a 1665 originally but it didn't work out... I elected to go with the 1680 to make it a project. I'll be happier when I get it just right!

Amen, Just received a 1680, this week, and the dates on the dwo are aligned to the left of the date window and the mag lens is aligned to the right of the date window. I put a Clark 127 on but it is exactly the same as with the original crystal. Since I believe the Clark to be gen-like, then the other two components are the ones misagligned. Solution...I have asked the dealer to sell me a 5512 dial and hands for ETA. It will be puuuurrrrffect then. None of those problems. I'll remove all the date changing mechanism from the movement.

Won't you have a cyclops with no date, then? I'm quite sure I have a gen crystal so the alignment there isn't an issue.

I use peel and stick photo paper, and print this out using my photo program, like PhotoShop. You can change the background to any color you like, and adjust the size to the date-wheel you are applying it to. This one is at 2400dpi.

Awesome idea! Obviously that picture is larger than the date wheel... Is there any distortion in the numbers when you put it on?

I'm leaning toward the ubi overlay. It's a little more than the PureTime one from Angus but I'm thinking it'll be worth it

I wanted a 1665 originally but it didn't work out... I elected to go with the 1680 to make it a project. I'll be happier when I get it just right!

Ben,

I think you should say, "Didn't work out "yet."

You have turned out to be such a dedicated addict, and wound up everyone with your enthusiasm, I have set that spare Ziggied MBW DRSD that I didn't want to price aside for you. Since I'd still have a single red, double red, COMEX, white 1680, no date sub, Milgauss, etc., I'll vicariously enjoy watching you make it all it could have been if I had been willing to be castrated by my Colombian.

It will be in my watchbox with your name on it if/when you're ready!

Bill

Ben,

I think you should say, "Didn't work out "yet."

You have turned out to be such a dedicated addict, and wound up everyone with your enthusiasm, I have set that spare Ziggied MBW DRSD that I didn't want to price aside for you. Since I'd still have a single red, double red, COMEX, white 1680, no date sub, Milgauss, etc., I'll vicariously enjoy watching you make it all it could have been if I had been willing to be castrated by my Colombian.

It will be in my watchbox with your name on it if/when you're ready!

Bill

Bill, that's both the greatest and worst thing I've ever heard! :lol:

I'll be in touch... something tells me I'm going to have to save up some more money! I'm loving my Red Sub (got it on as we speak) and would love to add a Double Red to my collection. You're both a gentleman and a scholar!