When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Omega Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00

baltic

Hi all. If you've been following the Watch trader section for the past few weeks you may have noticed I've moved a few of my reps (well 5 in total!). You may have wondered why, you may not but stick with me...

The reason I will reveal in this post.

I've been after a genuine Moon watch since I started getting into watches, to me it is THE classic watch, hardly changed in appearance for 40+ years, untouchable history, still used by NASA, great brand, fantastic movement etc etc.

The first rep I got was an EL Moon watch that I loved, but everytime I walked past an AD I'd stare in at the genuine article and dream...

I carried on getting and modding reps and really enjoyed it until the day I looked through my Paypal history and realised how much I'd spent on them :blink: It was approaching what you could buy a gen for (not a Moon watch but still a significant bit of cash). That was it I made my mind up to sell the reps that weren't getting wrist time, and even my beloved Moon watch rep :( and put some savings into a gen.

Anyhoo the time came and into a very posh AD in town. I knew what I wanted, I knew what price I wanted it for and so began the 'dance' with the sales assistant.

He was a genuine WIS, knew everything about watches (unlike in another store where I was asked if I wanted to see a Quartz Speedmaster :thumbdown: !) Showed some LE Speedmasters he had in, involved my wife in the conversation (which impressed her) and let me try on POs (the 45mm is HUGE) and even a PAM (for size comparison).

Then it was crunch time - 'What's your best price then?' 'Well if you buy it today sir, I can give you 15% off as we want your business.' :3a:

I couldn't get the credit card out fast enough. Then it was in the box, in the bag and out to the nearest pub for a couple of calming pints.

I had my Moon watch, my piece of horological history.

Now if you've stuck with me so far I'll put some photies up to reward you.

Firstly the obligatory bag shot

130688-19330.jpg

What's in the bag?

130688-19331.jpg

Does that say OMEGA?

130688-19332.jpg

A box within a box

130688-19333.jpg

Goodies

130688-19334.jpg

She's revealed

130688-19335.jpg

A bit closer

130688-19336.jpg

On she goes

130688-19337.jpg

I'll leave you with this one

130688-19338.jpg

To follow a gen v rep comparison of the Moon watch...

Excellent choice...........and it looks realy well on a perforated strap, similar to the earlier Heuer chronos too. Wear it in good health.

I have just gone down the same route as you ........... considered the total spend on reps and other lesser genuine watches and started to off-load some to finance a few choice pieces. I've also bought a Moonwatch and a genuine Panerai 005. Needless to say there are still some to sell to fill the hole created in the finances. However some of the special modded and Franken pieces will be kept. There has been too much time and effort invested to dispose of them.

Thanks once again people.

It's really weird finally getting something you've been after for ages!

@ Watcher I'm a Newcastle lad, Berrys is always a place I window shop, until last w'end that is :D

@By-Tor, thanks mate. I'm planning to do a rep v gen piece as I took some side by side shots before I sold the rep Moon Watch. Hope it lives up to your excellent work.

Cheers

• 1 year later...

I know Baltic wrote this long long ago but this is one of the classic posts on this board, together with the comparison post he made later between the rep and the gen. I've just done the same thing, bought a gen (fraid I posted the story on RG), and I must agree with the sentiments that Baltic puts over so well in this post. The rep was good, but there is something oh-so-yee-haa special about the whole experience of going in and buying the gen of the rep you fell in love with. It also shows, once again, that these reps are in the end good for the gen companies - I would not have bought a real one without having had the rep first.

Great Post, should have been pinned.... in fact, I think there should be a section about the various Moonies, it is THE watch in my opinion.

If Baltic reads this - do you still wear the gen after what? Fifteen months? Update?!