When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is Panerai now passé?

I don't know whether it is living in a major urban area or due to summer approaching but for the last several weeks I have been seeing 6-10 PAM's a day. Starting to feel like I am wearing a Breitling or a Rolex. Not that I don't appreciate those brands as I do and happily wear them but I always felt PAM was a little different as fewer people knew what they were and folks asked about them. Now I feel like every twenty something in my town owns one. And I ain't twenty something. :whistling:

Anyone experiencing the same thing?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the reason I am looking to get a U-Boat, U-Boats are far less common than PAMs, at least in London. I am actually keen to see some wrist shots or actual examples on people wearing them, but with all the watch-spotting effort I put in it I so far have not spotted a single U-Boat in real life :D

quite a few in London too, but I still see Rolex Subs the most.

I've only seen one pam in the wild in central, and I'm there every day! And I check out pretty much everyone's wrist. Mostly I spot SMPs and subs.

I don't think passe is the right word- maybe passe if you were trying to be a hipster of the watch world. Passe to me means out of fashion, but seeing them all around is surely not passe but in vogue?

I actually think they are becoming passe in the sense that smaller watches are very much in vogue now.

Defiantly more common these days. Hard to tell if they are GEN's though. Even a barman (possibly owner had 113) and another barista had a 292 on. As for UBoat's I see more reps of them than anything.

You'd be wanting to start wearing Grahams if you want to be an individual

Passe may be the wrong word. But in NYC I am seeing a lot of PAM's and they are on twenty-somethings. They all seem to be getting them. They are pretty damn popular now in the financial services industry over here. There is even enough knowledge that any number of folks who see my Fiddy will actually approach me to tell me what a great watch it is. That has happened literally 4 out of the last 6 times I have worn it in the City. The Fiddy seems to command mucho respect.

This is the reason I am looking to get a U-Boat, U-Boats are far less common than PAMs, at least in London. I am actually keen to see some wrist shots or actual examples on people wearing them, but with all the watch-spotting effort I put in it I so far have not spotted a single U-Boat in real life :D

greekgod likes that* "fb thumbs up figure"

Any ideas what you will be buying?

Defiantly more common these days. Hard to tell if they are GEN's though. Even a barman (possibly owner had 113) and another barista had a 292 on. As for UBoat's I see more reps of them than anything.

You'd be wanting to start wearing Grahams if you want to be an individual

And which cafe wat that mate? I am in the city today and will probably check out a few wrists..(I work casually in a 5 star in the city.will probably havea a line up of all the staff and ask them to remove anything remotely close to Pam!!) lol

In Hong Kong it's always Rolex which is the most popular, and still is. However in recent years Panerai becomes more and more popular especially in the financial services industry. Occasionally I see some real estate agents and medical doctors wearing them. Mostly recently I see Panerai being worn by young people wearing T-shirts and jeans... Perhaps that's the marketing effect as there are more and more ad appeared in both popular & luxury magazines.

Furthermore I notice that a lot of people here buying luxury watches, including Panerai, are for trading for a profit. Overheard in 2nd hand watch shops most people are asking about how much this Panerai can inflat. As such, we shouldn't ignore investment value as one of the factors in its popularity here. Again, this is a result of good marketing tactic.

I've only seen one pam in the wild in central, and I'm there every day! And I check out pretty much everyone's wrist. Mostly I spot SMPs and subs.

I don't think passe is the right word- maybe passe if you were trying to be a hipster of the watch world. Passe to me means out of fashion, but seeing them all around is surely not passe but in vogue?

I actually think they are becoming passe in the sense that smaller watches are very much in vogue now.

I guess it depends whereabouts in central. I'm near the Bank Of England and here couple of folks wear Pams. But you're right, SMPs and the Subs are the most common watches here.

I don't know whether it is living in a major urban area or due to summer approaching but for the last several weeks I have been seeing 6-10 PAM's a day. Starting to feel like I am wearing a Breitling or a Rolex. Not that I don't appreciate those brands as I do and happily wear them but I always felt PAM was a little different as fewer people knew what they were and folks asked about them. Now I feel like every twenty something in my town owns one. And I ain't twenty something. :whistling:

Anyone experiencing the same thing?

BTW, I am just wondering what would have happened to this thead had it been posted on Risti :p

BTW, I am just wondering what would have happened to this thead had it been posted on Risti :p

I did have that thought. :lol: And promptly banished it. Since Risti is all about one brand that is just asking for trouble. You are asking people to invalidate the passion of their life. Over here people are more open minded to other brands. In all seriousness, I do love the Panerai watches and will always wear them but I am seeing more and more folks wear them and it is beginning to feel like a standard brand here which it was not as recently as two years ago.

I did have that thought. :lol: And promptly banished it. Since Risti is all about one brand that is just asking for trouble. You are asking people to invalidate the passion of their life. Over here people are more open minded to other brands. In all seriousness, I do love the Panerai watches and will always wear them but I am seeing more and more folks wear them and it is beginning to feel like a standard brand here which it was not as recently as two years ago.

Would have loved to see adults there doing the usual e-crying which is just astonishing. :cry2::rofl:

But you're right, people here will answer with an open mind.

I totally get you, I have definitely seen Pams much more and with the advent of a new rep accuracy era for Pams, you will see a whole lot more probably :p. But I think it really depends where you are based.

People have been asking this question a long time, even since I started looking at reps in 2004. In Columbus, I rarely see another gen, but I have seen some horrible reps. Guy came up to me at the bar and said nice PAM and asked me if it was real. I was wearing a gen 111 so I said yeah, he flashed his wrist to show me a white PAM GMT with a quartz movement and no GMT hand and a crown that was the thinnest I've ever seen. Needless to say I didn't need to ask him if his was real.

I guess it depends whereabouts in central. I'm near the Bank Of England and here couple of folks wear Pams. But you're right, SMPs and the Subs are the most common watches here.

what are the odds that after mentioning how I don't really see any, on my way home today at liverpool street I spot a pam infront of me on the tube. The guy he was with was wearing a rather shiny vintage sub on bond nato.

Just wish I had my 1665 on the bond nato on. I would have given him his due props and we could have been watch buddies! although to be fair it (sub on bond nato) does look ridiculous with a suit. Alas, it was the day my stupid Stupid Avenger Skyland was in the rotation!

edit:Lobster, was it you I saw?

Edited by urbanshogun

there are so many diff pams being made now that many are selling some to get new ones and the prices for 112 and 111 are dropping because the new rep cases are good on those so many just sell and get a rep 112 or 111

127 will always be on the top meister ;)