When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Super Sea Dweller crystal replacement

woof*

Does anyone know for a fact that a genuine Rolex or Clark crystal will fit?

I hate that tiny white crown etching...and would really like it gone. I'm hoping

others have gone before me and tried these mods out and found what works or not.

Will a genuine dial fit? I've searched here and other places with not much luck.

If a gen dial doesn't fit then I will have it relumed.

With the help of our own Jmb, we have been upgrading my SSD.

About the only things left to do are dial, crystal and maybe a gen bracelet.

So I'm curious, has anyone swapped crystals and dials? I've been tracking a couple auctions for dials.

I do not wanna shell out that kinda cash.... to find it's a really bad fit.

So far this has been done: drilled lugs/opened bracelet, gen crown/tube, and Bk datewheel, gen insert.

If anyone here has modded thier SSD please jump in! :)

0b625c92.jpg

a8b9c9e6.jpg

Woof, I asked around and the general consensus is it would not fit. I even asked PBdad and it appears that the crystal would sit lower than the bezel if that's possible. Please correct me if I am wrong here.

That LEC is the main reason I parted ways with my famous SSD. I have a friend who wears one as a daily beater and it's a painful reminder of how I really loved the watch but hated the LEC.

I was an option was to get a crystal specially made but that would be big $.

I hope I'm wrong or someone figures it out. If they do, I'd snag one in a hurry.

The OEM crystal won't fit since the rehaut design is different from the gen. That's the main thing the defunct WM9 project (the one he ran away with people's money) was suppose to fix.

That's too bad, it really would have been great to have a modern Sea Dweller at the level of the Wm9 sub!

Mine will have to do for now, but I really was hoping to change crystal.

Still, the dial would be a big step if anyone knows if the gen will fit?

Thanks Txcollector!

I've looked into the dial and honestly it is not worth the money. The improvement is minimal.

The only worthwhile mod is the OEM insert (but kind of a pain to do). Most folks will check the pearl first and I have not seen one that looks as good as the OEM.

It's got a gen insert txcollector..the pearl is full of tiny cracks and I put a dab of epoxy on it.

It looks much better in person than those pics show.

Diamond polishing..that's an interesting idea z80.

Any idea what's involved? Has this been done before?

I was able to remove some nasty scratches with diamond paste but only with mineral crystal. With sapphire I'm not sure you will get it done in my lifetime :)

not sure about the windshield stuff. I suspect it would leave a weird dirty spot worse than the crown.

I'm afraid the the amount of grinding/polishing required to remove a "strong" etching would leave a spot that would have optical distortion as you would in effect be creating a slightly concave lens at that spot.

Awesome!

Im going to find a dial for this.

I really appreciate all the comments and help here!

This is one of my favorite watches. I like the way it wears and feels.

For me, it's the perfect watch(at least this week :)) I hate the idea of clipping dial feet on a gen dial, but the dial won't be resold. Both of those dwellers with new dials look great!

I hope someday someone figures out a way to remove the etching.

So there should not be a crown etched on the SD? I thought even the gen has it, or what's the deal?

We are talking about the tiny etched crown at the 6 in the crystal.

New gens have it, but it's almost invisible..almost need a loupe to see it on gens.

But on our reps that have it, it's giant in comparison and can easily be seen.... and screams Fake!

:)

We are talking about the tiny etched crown at the 6 in the crystal.

New gens have it, but it's almost invisible..almost need a loupe to see it on gens.

But on our reps that have it, it's giant in comparison and can easily be seen.... and screams Fake!

:)

fortunately they've skip the DSSD