When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

something old, something new

deltatahoe

so i've been away from the forums for a while (the past 6-8 months have been super busy), but i've bought a watch or two since been gone :whistling:

here are two of my new favorites (please excuse the crappy iphone pictures) -- something old, something new:

something old: 5514 comex

imageacl.jpg

something new: modern bond sub

imagepjx.jpg

i'll spare the details on the watches for now ;) would love to hear what you guys think :victory:

deltatahoe

ps, nanuq sorry for poaching the title of one of your old threads -- i thought it was an apt title given the contents...

Hey Delta, welcome back!

That's one tasty COMEX you have there. Do you still have its uncle from Oliver? I'd love to see them side by side. :wub:

Stick around buddy!

thanks for the comments guys :blush:

here are the details on the watches (all mods were performed by the one and only zigmeister):

5514 comex

-mbw 5514

-genuine 5513 dial with comex markings added

-relumed hands (without any glow) to match tritium dial

-genuine t-19 superdome

-genuine 702 crown & tube

-genuine fat font insert (ofrei pearl)

-drilled lugholes & genuine springbars

-genuine 93150 bracelet & 580 endlinks

modern bond sub

-noob ceramic sub

-installed better miyota movement

-removed crown guards

-superlumed with BG superluminova

-removed cyclops

-work still to be done: double AR coating on crystal and install DSSD crown

thanks for looking :victory:

deltatahoe

forgot to answer a couple questions :doh:

@nanuq, unfortunately the 1665 comex twin has long since sailed; that is in part why i got the itch to build this one (also had something to do with happening across that dial -- i snapped it up for a song). i would love to be able to do some side by side comex love as well :wub:

@6541, no aging to the comex. i like my vintage rolex minty fresh :D

deltatahoe

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic builds, sir! The Modern Bond is quite interesting; I really like the look of the ceramic insert combined with the lack of crown guards. Might I suggest maybe doing an 8mm crown on that one to carry out the Bond theme just a step further? :)

And you know I'm a big fan of 5514's! :wub: Certainly a nice choice!

Might I suggest maybe doing an 8mm crown on that one to carry out the Bond theme just a step further? :)

i'm glad you mentioned it ubi -- i originally planned to do just that, but figured i would see how the ceramic sub crown looked first, and honestly -- i kinda just forgot about it. back when i started planning for this project a while back i think i remember that ND trading offers an 8mm crown, but it is still $200. any idea where i could pick up one for cheaper? i remember someone saying DSN may stock them; perhaps it is time to shoot him an email :g:

another thing i'm considering is putting it on a black and grey nato as well ;)

oh, and thanks for the nice comments on both watches :victory:

deltatahoe

The Zigmeister hand-painted the COMEX logo onto a gen (normal) Sub dial? That's just fabulous.

no, ziggy just relumed the hands on this one. i bought the dial with the COMEX logo already completed -- someone here on RWG had the logo silk-screened onto a genuine 5513 dial :o

deltatahoe

Love the Bond sub.

For the modern Bond, I was looking at doing a modern rendition of the big crown look and I believe I came across (on the gen Rolex forum) mention that the trip lock on the DSSD was in fact a larger, 8mm version. Maybe someone could confirm this and perhaps you could see about sourcing a rep or gen crown from a DSSD?

For the modern Bond, I was looking at doing a modern rendition of the big crown look and I believe I came across (on the gen Rolex forum) mention that the trip lock on the DSSD was in fact a larger, 8mm version. Maybe someone could confirm this and perhaps you could see about sourcing a rep or gen crown from a DSSD?

i checked my DSSD's crown, and you are absolutely right -- it is 8mm.

now who has a DSSD crown for me?? :bounce::clapping:

deltatahoe

Two spectacular builds B! I too am a big fan of the 5514. This model has eluded my collection, so far, but there is always room for another vintage Rolex.

Great seeing you around again!

thanks B. your modern bond sub project was pretty fantastic as well; you have a pic you could post here for folks to enjoy?

it's nice to be back at RWG. makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to be among old friends :group:

deltatahoe

:whistling:

imageqzi.jpg

good eye nanuq ;)

oh, and my apologies for the poor iphone pic -- lighting wasn't great at 6:30 am this morning :lol:

deltatahoe

I'm not sure if it's my eye or the photo, but the inside angles on the O Square appear to be two different types... The top corners appear to be 90*, but the bottom corners appear to be more gently curved. Likewise, the inside edges of the COMEX C and E appear to be curved corners, except for the bottom corner, which appears to be a 90* angle. Is that just a trick of the photo, or are my observations correct? Not trying to pick holes by any means, I literally just noticed, and am genuinely curious :drinks: