When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Crown Guard Milling

jmb

I hate doing CGs. I would rather somebody beat me with a 2x4 than to file on CGs. Today I tried to come up with an easier and more predictable method, for me anyway.

One of my problems is that no two sets turn out the same and only about half of them look presentable. In fact, I have long since refused to do CGs for people - PERIOD!!! I needed to prep a case for an upcoming project and the Shades of CGs Past started haunting me. I had ordered a 1/4" carbide end-mill with a 5 degree taper a while ago in preparation for trying this so I thought now would be as good a time as any.

I first removed the tube and clamped the case onto my lug drilling fixture and milled the inside of both "ears" with the angled cutter:

CG 1.JPG

CG 2.JPG

Then I centered the tube hole under the spindle:

CG 3.JPG

CG 4.JPG

I then switched to a 5/16" cutter and "plunged" down through the center:

CG 5.JPG

I will have to admit that they turned out a lot better than they would have if I'd filed on 'em!

CG 6.JPG

CG 7.JPG

Thanks for watching! ;)

Amazing... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

yeah no kidding!

I haven't even attempted modding cg's. It's obvious how it could go south fast and end up way worse than before you started.

Have seen several watches for sale that have been ruined by people trying it.

Now Jmb on the other hand...this makes total sense. I can see how much more the outcome will be consistant.

Awesome idea! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I hate trimming crown guards too and I've only done it once. Good job on making the process much more efficient. I wish factories would get it right the first time (as if that's ever possible). what about trimming the profile of the crown guards though? though you'd still have to do that by hand

I see I am not the only one who loves power tools. I do the same thing with my mill. I also use a jig to locate the drill bit in line with the inner hole to drill the lugs.

I do not have a tapered bit, so I tilt the case.

Edited by lloyd

I snagged the tapered cutter new off fleabay for under $20/shipped. It's solid carbide so it should last forever on these cases. I had originally bought it to attempt to repair some CGs that looked like I had filed on 'em but I chickened out since there would have been some welding and other stuff involved and it was a Yuki case so I was really scared of making it worse or ruining it. I think I may try to "stretch" the CG tips on my cartel 5513 once I get my Argon bottle re-filled...

I still do the inner CG work with a #6 cut file, with a safe edge of course, takes a bit of time, maybe 20 minutes tops, but I can easily control the progress.

For the outer CG work, well that's a different story, and is all done with tools, impossible to do by hand.

Good results, but I wonder if you would save time by the hand filling method...

I snagged the tapered cutter new off fleabay for under $20/shipped. It's solid carbide so it should last forever on these cases. I had originally bought it to attempt to repair some CGs that looked like I had filed on 'em but I chickened out since there would have been some welding and other stuff involved and it was a Yuki case so I was really scared of making it worse or ruining it. I think I may try to "stretch" the CG tips on my cartel 5513 once I get my Argon bottle re-filled...

"stretch" the CG tips on my cartel 5513 once I get my Argon bottle re-filled..."

I'm ready to be one of the first experiments :)

• 1 month later...