When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC Top Gun Ceramic 3789 46mm Doppel Chronograph

denniboss

it has two chrono hands and as per gen, both hands move when you engage the standard chrono button. It is only when you engage the split chrono button that you see the second c.hand stop.

Got my in today. Indeed a very nice watch! Very happy with it! Although to my opinion the rotor makes a lot of noice when you shake the watch at your wrist, more than i usual expect form this kind of watches and more thean i normally used to. Any other experiences with that kind of noise?

And also indeed the 2 chrono hands start and stop together at the same time and it's really a pity that these 2 hands are not running seperately from each other or do i miss something here and is this possible indeed??? Please inform and thanks

Got my in today. Indeed a very nice watch! Very happy with it! Although to my opinion the rotor makes a lot of noice when you shake the watch at your wrist, more than i usual expect form this kind of watches and more thean i normally used to. Any other experiences with that kind of noise?

And also indeed the 2 chrono hands start and stop together at the same time and it's really a pity that these 2 hands are not running seperately from each other or do i miss something here and is this possible indeed??? Please inform and thanks

Congrats on the watch. I have mine on as I write. Yeah the rotor is quite loud and somebody else also pointed that out. A good greasing the rotor with appropriate material should do the job. I will ask my watchsmith to do that when he services the whole movement for me.

As for the double chrono hands:

If the chrono hand runs separately from the split chrono hand, it suggests that you engaged the split function via the button at 10. Seeing as though that the split button does not function, we see both hands run simultaneously as per gen spec.

I doubt you can actually mod your request to this watch, as there would not be the natural option for this on this canon pin.

If Concepta/Texski can source the gen split chrono movement, then 100% yes!:D

I would love to get this ..but the split second not working would be a dead give away. Therefore most likely will stick to the 44mm version...although the 46 would be really nice.

If only they would get the Big Pilot right - or someone can figure out how to get a better movement on the BP5004. I have gone through 2 BP5004 and both the movement has failed, the crown tube won't lock back in as the stem seems to get out of position. There has to be some solution the to BP. I even got a better case back - I used the Father & Son case-back, and covered the "peter" with a custom made IWC sticker. Got the proper IWC deployant with IWC engraving rather than the International Watch Co. that is comes with as stock. Never got around to getting a real croc strap as the movements never lasted long enough...

Edited by prado

I'm really curious if these babies scratch? I saw one in the sale section and thought I saw a big hair line scratch on the mate ceramic....

So do they scratch (easily) and can it be fixed it that's the case?

I can't remember what the material is, but when I ready what was used in their ceramic, I remember thinking this is an abrasive used for sand paper ... zirconia, maybe One of the characteristics of a good abrasive is how it fractures, creating a new sharp cutting edge. So, the characteristic that make this case so hard, also makes it brittle. Some IWC owners have complained about their cases cracking. COMMENTS

I have read where IWC can blend slight scratches in their cases.

I'm really curious if these babies scratch? I saw one in the sale section and thought I saw a big hair line scratch on the mate ceramic....

So do they scratch (easily) and can it be fixed it that's the case?

The case does not scratch. I've been wearing it daily since August 11th, in a rough environment. I've wacked it hard many times--nothing, not a scratch!

But this ceramic case is lighter, more scratch-resistant (& stealthier!) than SS, I've only heard of a TG case breaking when it falls right on a lug - quite a rare event.

Anyway - I have a TG 44mm V1 with V2 dial, Swiss ETA7750 and new AR - it's a beauty and I recommend it highly. Especially when combined with a thick leather strap, it's :Jumpy:

perhaps stainless steel/titanium is the way to go.

Plaifender, I agree - well spotted.

Lots of misinformation around these new IWC TopGun reps.

But the dealers probably like it this way, especially since they've just released basically the same old TG v1 44mm with a teeny bit more lume and of course grabbed the opportunity to hike up the price accordingly. MAkes business sense for them to mix up model numbers and get everyone thinking they're all new releases.

I still don't get why there's so much confusion about this model number!!

THIS IS NOT A 3789.. THIS IS A 3799!

The 3789 is the Flieger Chrono and is 44mm

THIS 3799 is the Doppelgraph 46mm. Do not confuse the two.. let's not make things more complicated ;)

Plaifender, I agree - well spotted.

Lots of misinformation around these new IWC TopGun reps.

But the dealers probably like it this way, especially since they've just released basically the same old TG v1 44mm with a teeny bit more lume and of course grabbed the opportunity to hike up the price accordingly. MAkes business sense for them to mix up model numbers and get everyone thinking they're all new releases.

Permabull.... couldn't have said it better :)

No excuse for us to fudge it up on the forum though. Besides enthusiasm for watches in general, this forum is supposed to be a portal of accurate and reliable information. Someone change this title please to 3799.. this is not a 3789

I have both the gen and the rep of this watch! Bought the rep for a lark, just out of curiosity.

I have just two comments:

1. The rep in this case is, in my opinion, 99% like the real McCoy in terms of visuals. There are slight differences in the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock rings, and very minor differences in the dials. In my opinion these are hardly noticeable. So wear your reps with assurance!

2. NOBODY, and I mean not one blessed soul, has, to date, asked me to engage the split second function on even my gen watch (I have worn it maybe 10 times to different events)

Most people you meet, contrary to your internal convictions, have no clue about this watch other than it "looks rugged", and no clue on what a "doppelchronograph" may be. Those that do know, do not need to see it. The gen-snobs you meet might demand you show it to them as a proof of its authencity, but hey, thats when you stare them down for their impudence, until they shrink to an infinitesimal speck of dust in your sight. :D

• 3 months later...

It looks great, for some reason the 46 seems a more balanced appearance to me. I remember being very disappointed in the 44 when it arrived as it didn't look quite right.. silly I know but I'd seen the 46 genuine in person and thought that's what I was getting.

• 3 weeks later...