When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help from the best choosing wedding watch

Lil princess

Hi everyone.

I used to be a poster on this forum but unfortunately when the site changed I lost my login details and because of the birth of my daughter I changed it to lil princess.

Anyway, I'm getting married next June and my fiancé would like to buy me a nice watch I can wear on the day.

Ive had my eye on Patek calatrava but can't find an accurate rep of this :( has anyone got any ideas for a nice dress fairly accurate rep I can wear on the day?

Would really appreciate the help. I've done lots of searching but to no avail.

Cheers!

I love the AskMen.com's watch snob advice that you'll be buying her jewelry for life, so she should be buying you a watch approximately twice the value of whatever ring you are getting her. :whistling:

I agree that going for a gen would be wiser for such a special occasion. For a dress watch for such an occasion, I know its a time bomb but the IWC Portuguese is my all time favorite. Maybe she can get you replacement movements as anniversary gifts! Or you could save up down the line and try to score a genuine movement and dial for it, although I know Concepta said he was getting out of doing Port stuff.

Thanks md. Contests too!

I know it's my wedding and it needs to be a gen but it all comes down to the ol pound n pence... We've spent 15k on the wedding and honeymoon and I'm not gonna have the spare cash to get a gen as we've also just put a deposit on our lovely house so it's a bit tight...

I quite like Vespamatts idea of if I get a rep I could eventually get a gen dial and movement in stages...

Any ideas on a nice decent dress rep?

Thanks for the comments so far

Its your wedding! Get a gen. and forget the rep., that's just not a good omen to start a marriage with IMHO. -_- If you insist it must be a "name" then comb eBay or vintage dealers for a vintage watch. You'd be surprised what thin dress watches you can find at very decent affordable prices, from the 1940's on up, usually around 34mm - 36mm cases. Just make sure its been serviced. As an example, I picked this up off of eBay a few years back for $500, a classic circa 1950s pink gold Girard Perregaux dress watch with beautiful casing. Just do some searching.

GP-RG-Argentina-circa-1950s.jpg

Oh yeah, I am a huge advocate of vintage and didn't even think to mention that. Omni is spot on with that suggestion. Tissot, Omega, and lots of other older brands can be had in gold for great prices. Depending on your age, and since this is for you, maybe double up and try to find a watch from your birth year?

If you must wear a Gen on your wedding day, then you must also not rent a tuxedo but BUY one. Your fiance must not wear supportive undergarments, since that would not be GEN .. no make-up either. Not Gen..

How about this ... you wear whatever you like and don't worry about it being a replica.

This watch is my suggestion to you:

post-22602-0-32335200-1313208477.jpg

Then per Jkay's reasoning, go rent a gen. dress watch. :whistling: But, he and stormtrooper4 did give some good suggestions if you insist on going the "bad juju" rep. route for your wedding, to impress who? I just think it will come back to bite you down the road as something you might think is so small as an issue of minor symbolism, "fake from the very beginning." You might think your bride is okay with it (you're supposedly being smart & thrifty from the start) and at the time she might think "nah, no big deal." Every effort should be made to make the big day perfect since the imperfections of life will magnify over time as the relationship matures, every little imperfection becomes symbolic. Just my philosophy honed over 3 different marriages in almost 4 decades. :winkiss: So if you do make it to geezerhood together, which do you want to pull out and wear on an anniversary to reminisce, this is the watch I wore on our wedding day? By the way, forgot to add, congratulations!

What ever the bride is good with. My wife wouldn't care if I wore a rep. If you're both happy with it, why not?

If you like the watch have fun with it. It's only where you're trying too hard to be something you're not it's trouble.

You don't need to spend a fortune to in order to prove your love for each other..

If you must wear a Gen on your wedding day, then you must also not rent a tuxedo but BUY one. Your fiance must not wear supportive undergarments, since that would not be GEN .. no make-up either. Not Gen..

How about this ... you wear whatever you like and don't worry about it being a replica.

You guys wear tuxedos to weddings? I thought they were the equivalent of Dinner Suits 0_o

Jkay's point is perfectly sound and I change my stance to agree. Just make sure it's not going to stop ticking or have the crystal or braclet fall off during the day.

You can also rent Gens as someone else mentioned.

I was at a wedding last month and the guests ranged from very sharp suits to tuxedos. And yes, the groom normally will wear a tuxedo. If the bride is splashing out 5000$ for a dress (at the least) then you had better show up in something nice.

Need pics of an Ed Hardy style wedding..

Since it was a Miami Beach wedding, I almost made the mistake of turning up in linen trousers, a wedding-grade guyaberra, and Piccolinos.

That would not have been well received by this crowd of well-to-do Cuban Americans.