When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Aging suggestions

Charleston

I'n the past, I've tended to drag the case against stuff like house-bricks, tile edges etc, and then used a four-way nailfile and to buff the worst damage away to give a subtle aging effect :) I guess overall, it depends how old and how abused you want the watch to look :)

BE EXTREMELY WARY OF ANY OF NANUQ'S TECHNIQUES!!!!! :Jumpy: His idea of lightly vintagizing it to hit it with a belt sander, run over it with the truck for a few days, feed it to a Griz, and then have Griz crap it over the side of a cliff!! :whistling:

I understand how Nanuq feels at times. Who among us has not had those feeling...when you're trying to put your last shock spring back in (after servicing), you hear that little ping...and you know you just launched it into the ionospere... I usually take off my visor and throw it against the wall. Were it not for duct tape I would have no visor now.

@Charleston...it's hard to get answers on Friday. First of all, what sub do you have? Is it a modern sub...16610, etc. or is it a vintage sub, i.e. 5512/13, 1680, 5517, etc.?

16610s are usually not very aged under normal use. The vintage subs are 30-40 years old and if the owner spent time outdoors, the bezel insert is faded and the hour makers have turned a brownish color. You can age the insert by putting it in household bleach and watching carefully, remove and rinse when it meets your approval. The dial and hands can be aged by laying them on aluminum foil and putting them in a toaster oven, on broil, until they look like you want. I like to hit the plastic crystal with some 200 grit sandpaper and then polish it out. Makes it look old.

BE EXTREMELY WARY OF ANY OF NANUQ'S TECHNIQUES!!!!! :Jumpy: His idea of lightly vintagizing it to hit it with a belt sander, run over it with the truck for a few days, feed it to a Griz, and then have Griz crap it over the side of a cliff!! :whistling:

It works!

I understand how Nanuq feels at times. Who among us has not had those feeling...when you're trying to put your last shock spring back in (after servicing), you hear that little ping...and you know you just launched it into the ionospere... I usually take off my visor and throw it against the wall. Were it not for duct tape I would have no visor now.

@Charleston...it's hard to get answers on Friday. First of all, what sub do you have? Is it a modern sub...16610, etc. or is it a vintage sub, i.e. 5512/13, 1680, 5517, etc.?

16610s are usually not very aged under normal use. The vintage subs are 30-40 years old and if the owner spent time outdoors, the bezel insert is faded and the hour makers have turned a brownish color. You can age the insert by putting it in household bleach and watching carefully, remove and rinse when it meets your approval. The dial and hands can be aged by laying them on aluminum foil and putting them in a toaster oven, on broil, until they look like you want. I like to hit the plastic crystal with some 200 grit sandpaper and then polish it out. Makes it look old.

Its a Vintage SUB. Cartier/Rolex from the 70's...Got a steal on it!!

Thanks for any tips!

Several years back, I used to be of the mind set of preferring heavy patina on my watches. But these days... I like my watches to look like well cared for pieces. So... I let aging take it's course and occur from every day wear. Nothing like natural patina...

IMG_9500.jpg

Hey by the way, that's a beautiful chamfer!

I would pretty much mirror Ubi's recommendations. However, there are times/watches that really look better (more authentic/less suspicious) when they appear aged/worn. In those cases, 1 of Nanuq's more saner ideas works well - place the case (without the movement or crystal) into a coffee can full of coins, screws & nuts & shake until the desired effect has been achieved. Or, you can just put the watch on & perform a clutch job on your car. That did the trick for 1 of mine (though I needed a new crystal by the time I drove the car away :bangin: ).

I would pretty much mirror Ubi's recommendations. However, there are times/watches that really look better (more authentic/less suspicious) when they appear aged/worn. In those cases, 1 of Nanuq's more saner ideas works well - place the case (without the movement or crystal) into a coffee can full of coils, screws & nuts & shake until the desired effect has been achieved. Or, you can just put the watch on & perform a clutch job on your car. That did the trick for 1 of mine (though I needed a new crystal by the time I drove the car away :bangin: ).

Thanks for the input!

All advice and suggestions welcome!

Edited by Charleston

Going to remove the crystal and movement and try the coffee can with nuts and bolts trick. (Should I tape off any areas??)

Also going to use Household? Bleach on the bezel to dull it a tid bit.

As far as doing the dial in the toaster oven on broil.....how long should it stay in etc? Someone mentioned covering the writing to prevent browning...input?

Any advice on giving the crystal some wear?

Oh and here is the watch in question!!! It will more than likely be gifted to my father on a NATO strap...

2mjv6d.jpg

Edited by Charleston

@Charleston,

I suggest if you have not done this type of modding in the past, that you obtain some spare parts before you begin. Yes.. use regular household bleach, some dilute with part water or just straight bleach. You need to keep an eye on it, different bezel inserts react in different ways. I have had several inserts do nothing after 3 hrs in pure bleach and some have lightened halfway after 20 minutes. Good idea to have a backup insert in case you end with a plain metal disc. :whistling: You might want extra hands..they damage easily just by removing and installing....let alone what happens in the oven. I have done these things and been held up and had order parts...because I wasn't paying attention :thumbsupsmileyanim:

You want to take it easy with the "edge softening" too, I really pooched the chamfers on this one. And once the chamfers are shot, well you just lose the overall "gently aged" effect.

thermal_test2.jpg

You want to take it easy with the "edge softening" too, I really pooched the chamfers on this one. And once the chamfers are shot, well you just lose the overall "gently aged" effect.

thermal_test2.jpg

@Nanuq...maybe you and I should sign up for some anger management classes. How many watches have you done that to?

• 2 weeks later...

"I am not a fan of the beat up Vietnam shot at looking vintages, but some subtle aging is a nice touch."

I agree.

I have a 1675 (555xxxx serial number) that was worn daily for over 20 years. It has never been polished and does not show any deep scratches at all. It just looks like your average watch that has been taken care of. The bezel insert is badly faded but the dial is fine and there is no case corrosion at all. I have also owned a few that had lived a hard life and they showed it.

What I am getting at is the majority of oldies I have seen were were not in bad condition at all...nothing like the 'artificial ripening' applied to some project watches.

Something else while I am running my mouth...the lug holes are not tapered at all on the outside when new, the tapered holes we see are caused by too much polishing with a soft wheel with too much pressure.

Believe me...I am no purist. Half of my best stuff is half fake. :animal_rooster:

The worst one I ever saw was a 5513 that must have belonged to a blackout cave explorer/night time sky diver/wrong way go kart racer/gandy dancer wild man of some sort (said he worked 'up north').

The bracelet looked like a bicycle chain. The case looked like a gray pine cone.

It was absolutely 'double rubber glove filthy' to boot.

The guy said: "Can you make it look like new?"

I said: "Bud I can't even make it smell like new." (btw, what does Nanuq look like?)

There are a couple of guides on the subject :

http://www.homageforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=133 - bezel insert & more

http://repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=144740 - bezel insert

http://www.homageforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=804 - case

I had nice results by spreading sodium hypochlorite using a Q-tip and let it evaporate, applying a couple of layers. After that I lightly sanded the bezel inserts using 600grit pad and finished with some Scotch Brite (green one).

If you want to age the case, as suggested in the link above, fill a plastic box with metallic objects (screws, change, etc.) and shake your watch in there for a couple of minutes; Make sure to either remove the movement or at least cover the crystal, unless you really want to beat it also.

On the dial, I used tea mixed with coffee, as suggested elsewhere. You can either spread it with a Q-tip and clean up after, or merge it for a couple of minutes.

The crystal is easily aged by very very light sanding.

As for the straps.. there are many tutorials on it, but simple change it for NATO.

Here's the result on a watch I did in the past two days... Note that I am relatively new to modding (+/- 6 months of trial).

Enjoy!

post-36610-0-71933500-1315711574.jpg

...the case looked like a gray pine cone.

It was absolutely 'double rubber glove filthy' to boot.

The guy said: "Can you make it look like new?"

I said: "Bud I can't even make it smell like new." (btw, what does Nanuq look like?)

Hey now, it's not thaaaat bad!! "Gently used" I like to call it. :tu:

1.jpg

4.jpg