When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pugwash Went To Thailand

Pugwash

Ok, for those who have been missing my photos for the last few weeks, you may have been aware that I was in Thailand for a few weeks. For anyone that cares, here's my "What I did on me holidays me" secondary-schoolesque holiday report.

My Planet-Ocean-Owning Brother lives in Bangkok, which gives me the prime opportunity to visit every couple of years and call it a family thing. This is my second visit and my first since I've got into replica watches. The first visit (Oct 2004) was when I got my taste of reps with a shitty patpong datejust that I actually liked and that eventually led me here.

135532-18246.jpg

- Bangkok -

So, I arrived and heard we were off to see the bridge on the River Kwai. Nothing like forced labour to show what man is capable of, even if it's just a train bridge.

135532-18247.jpg

- The Bridge On The River Kwai -

We then took a high-speed trip on the river in a Long-Tailed Boat and saw a monkey school, some other boats, our lives flashing before our eyes, some gorgeous forests and finally dry land.

135532-18248.jpg

- A local shop -

We spent a night in a gorgeous hotel and had a great dinner. Cheap, good, etc.

Upon returning to Bangkok, we planned our next trip which was to Pattaya and my brother took me to MBK, a large shopping centre with loads of watch stalls; replicas, imports, second-hand ... and there I saw a MoonWatch and a few other fancy watches, and as I was at the good stall, there was a farang (western) bloke next to me looking at an Orange Monster, which I liked. He then called his pal to see if the price was good and decided against buying it. I bought some 20mm and 22mm spring bars and some cheap straps.

Next, we went to Pattaya for some beach fun. Day one, we arrived, I crashed out from jet-lag and we never made it to the girly shows or Walking Street. Day two, we got in a boat and went to an island ...

135532-18249.jpg

- an island, yesterday -

Swimming in the sea with my Seiko 100M diver's watch was fun, but upon getting out of the sea, I realised it wasn't at all water-tight and it had let water in. Bugger.

135532-18250.jpg

That night, I got in touch with Narikaa and arranged to have a couple of beers. Upon meeting him, we chatted and chatted and sank some beers. He's a decent bloke and doesn't look anything like you expect him to. Something was niggling me about him though, like I recognised him from somewhere. Then, later on, he mentioned he was looking at a Seiko Monster recently once I'd told him my sad Seiko story. That's when it hit me. Two days previously, in a different city, I was standing right next to him. The friend he was calling for the price? Obviously, it was TTK, as anyone lesser wouldn't have been as incredibly unlikely.

135532-18251.jpg

- Pattaya sweatshop workers cheer and smile -

After another day doing ... stuff, My brother and I met up with TTK himself and had a great banter on about all manner of things, including the selection of amazing replicas Neil had brought in a briefcase. These were to be the only decent replicas I'd see throughout my entire Thailand holiday.

You'll notice that I have no photos of either Reg or Neil. This is intentional as it's not my place to 'out' contraband dealers on the internet. Needless to say, Reg is distinctive and Neil is distinguished and both of them are thoroughly decent blokes I'd be happy to call my friends.

135532-18252.jpg

- More Bangkok -

Upon returning to Bangkok without having seen any of the rude bits of Pattaya, I had to go watch shopping to replace the diver and I decided to get the Orange Monster that Reg turned down as a reminder of the whole coincidence.

135532-18253.jpg

- Monster! -

I wore the Orange Monster to the Seiko Service Centre when I took my SKX031 in to be waterproofed.

135532-18254.jpg

- Seiko Cuties! -

... and that's part-one of my trip. I'm sure part-two, with its tales of crappy market stalls, temples and amazing genuines will be less interesting as I've just told you everything that happens.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After another day doing ... stuff, My brother and I met up with TTK himself and had a great banter on about all manner of things, including the selection of amazing replicas Neil had brought in a briefcase.

I too have seen that briefcase, only in a different city! B) I am surprised though that you didn't make the connection earlier about the bloke in MBK!! :lol:

I am really in to this Puggy, what a great trip and to catch up with both Reg and Neil too, tell me does Neil talk at a million miles an hour like he does on skype :lol: , anyway lets get to part two..........girly bars! :Jumpy:

Ken :D

Great post, Pugwash. :)

This is where I'll go when my kids are grown up, and the missus has thrown me out.

And nice to see some pics other than the usual beach and party ones my friend shows me.

I almost went to Jomtien Beach this summer, but the long flight with a 14 month old baby made me decide otherwise and choose somewhere closer.

My friend is there 2-3 times a year, and brings home all kinds of rickety low quality reps, I'd really like for him to find a few decent ones, and any kind of tip on where to go would be appreciated.

He's always been a firm believer that the ones he's bought are the high end ones until he saw my recent buys.