When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1655 super Franken finally complete!

denimhead

Finally complete after 12 months of hard slog, i present my 1971 1655 Explorer 2 for your comments and feedback. Many Thanks to Ubiquitous for his advise in terms of re-shaping the crown guards,hopefully not too bad a job for my first attempt. Not a cheap project, but nowhere near what the asking price of the dubious 'Gens' out there are currently fetching.

Heres the menu!

GEN - ROLEX 1575(1570)MOVEMENT

GEN - DIAL (EARLY FROG FOOT CROWN)

GEN - HANDS(BOUGHT SEPERATELY SO SADLY NOT A PERFECT MATCH TO THE DIAL)

GEN - BEZEL

GEN - CROWN AND TUBE

PHONG CASE SET

CLARKS CYSTAL

post-12988-0-99695600-1314786988.jpg

post-12988-0-76792300-1314787002.jpg

post-12988-0-15508400-1314787017.jpg

post-12988-0-26643300-1314787031.jpg

post-12988-0-68791100-1314787043.jpg

The only thing I would do is try to square up the inside corners of the CG more...

Good Evening U, removing the crown and stem tomorrow evening and hoping to get a better finish,i'll email you over a few shots to see what you think,do you think i should be aiming at a 90 degree angle on the coners?

Cheers M

Not quite 90 degrees, need to keep a little slope but print some photos of gens and copy those

KGrHqIOKp0E4lUynNboBOOMLPl40w0_31.jpg

Ebay is always a good place to look.

Thanks for the picture Alligoat, its a great reference picture for tomorrow nights re-shaping. I've studied so may pictures from every angle known to man. I guess every watch is going to be unique due to the use of the watch during its lifetime and how they have been re-finished over the years. To your knowledge do you know if the 1969 -1971 models had a more pointed crown guard? I have seen this come up on a few of the forums when refering to the 1655 case variants, where any of the early 1675 cases used and casebacks re stamped i wonder?

Cheers DH

Hi Omega, yes i totally agree. its my first go at re-shaping a case. Do you think it Can it be made better in the right hands?

I can't tell you if there are right hands needed, but I can guarant you - to get good results you have to use the right tools! ;)

I use a modified file with a correct shaped angle. After the rough-work for finish and to get sharp corners sandpaper (1000). At last some polishing, but very light to keep the sharp edges.

BTW, what datewheel you used on the gen movement? Seems not to be a silver one... :g:

Good Morning Omega, it is silver but quite faded. Were the original DW silver or white? I was always under the impression that they were normally changed to white when Rolex serviced the watch.

Im picking up the watch later today as its just been serviced. I am going to post some pictures of my re-shaping attempts hopefully tomorrow.

Finally complete after 12 months of hard slog, i present my 1971 1655 Explorer 2 for your comments and feedback. Many Thanks to Ubiquitous for his advise in terms of re-shaping the crown guards,hopefully not too bad a job for my first attempt. Not a cheap project, but nowhere near what the asking price of the dubious 'Gens' out there are currently fetching.

Heres the menu!

GEN - ROLEX 1575(1570)MOVEMENT

GEN - DIAL (EARLY FROG FOOT CROWN)

GEN - HANDS(BOUGHT SEPERATELY SO SADLY NOT A PERFECT MATCH TO THE DIAL)

GEN - BEZEL

GEN - CROWN AND TUBE

PHONG CASE SET

CLARKS CYSTAL

Mnay Thanks guys for all of the nice comments and sound advise. I have done a bit more on the case in terms of sharpening up the inner corners of the guards this afternoon, still not perfect but better i hope!

post-12988-0-71111400-1314891496.jpg

post-12988-0-94695100-1314891539.jpg