When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Comex 5514 style

Rolexaddict

I had a little trip to Cabo Verde islands and took with me my kitchen table watchplumbing custom special 5514. This is my travel watch as she likes water. 70 meters deep 6 months ago in Thailand, only 15 meters deep here. The insert is naturally damaged from intensive use in salt water sun and has sand bites ans scratches.

551411.jpg

Initially it was a 108.00US$ watch from Josh (those serie with the vrong bezel assembly). I started to remove about 1mm from the top of the case + the same amount of material from the rehaut which was to high imho. Drilled lugholes of course. The dial was relumed.

I wrote already this story, the target was to imitate the 5513 slim case with an HEV made for the Comex and becoming the 5514.

But later I have made some improvements. I re-cut more seriously the crownguards, removed material to made more rounded the top of lugs as they still loocked like thick SD, shortened the 7mm crown and glued a Yuki pearl on the insert.

The plexi is a 8.95US$ PA 462-67 from Ofrei which was grinded, rounded and repolished to give the dome look, as a super dome will not cosmetically match with the slim case.

I used also a folded bracelet from a Josh's 1655 and I changed the clasp for a Sub one with the diver extension.

I also put a coat of clear matt warnish on the dots lume, dots became a little shinny and the color changed slightly... normal, a matt coat applied on a matt surface = brillant.

Anyway, you will think I am crazy, but really I am convicted that my Comex looks better than gens :lol:

Also a gen 5514 is in a range of 50 - 80K€, my MasterPiece is only around 100 euros,

btw I love it and I am very proud :clap2: with this piece of sh..., sorry this exceptional watch.

The wallet I used for pics is a gen, it was given with the Comex watches and regular 1665. It contains the famous Rolex #2100 tool, the waranty book, a diving decompression table, a complete backup divers extention kit, pins and screws (stored inside the tool)

551401.jpg

551402.jpg

551403.jpg

I removed also about 0.5mm from the bottom of the thick SD bezel, it looks quite good but still a little to thick than a regular sub bezel but I cannot remove more material without ruining the case/bezel ring assembling construction. A complete sub bezel assembly from WSO will work, but it will cost more than the background investment of 108.00$ + shipping + 25.00$ yuki pearl

551404.jpg

551405.jpg

551406.jpg

551409.jpg

Santa Maria's city, world biggest malls there... :lol:

capvert14.jpg

Boavista island ugly beaches... :lol:

capvert99.jpg

hope you enjoyed this little article

Guest zeleni kukuruz

Mr R.

I realy like the comex subs!!! But after this i have to say that i love them or yours that is!!!

Well made and it looks very sexy!!!

Pm me if you get bored of it ;) im here.

thanks to all for your kind comments,

I also like to read/learn and enjoy photos off other members jobs, I dont add comments as I am to lazy...sorry for this

I'm liking the bracelet mod and the cg's look good for a Josh case. Great work.

Thanks. I have seen a 1665 with a diver ext. style clasp and folded links in a collector shop, this has given me the idea. The case is good to work on, it was these series of 1665 made with the "316F" stainless steel, lot of metal on the cg, so easy to re-cut

I love that bracelet! BTW, I have the same case back. 70m doesn't sound too bad for a $108 rep ;)\

E

On my watch the caseback is very thick and oversized, no possible to open it with a Rolex tool, I had to made a custom tool using mixed epoxy and steel powder to "print" the caseback grooves.. Anyway all reps caseback are thick enough to support pressure, the problem, rep as gen also, is the crystal. A domed plexi, from its ergonomy (basic physics rules), will have a better resistance against pressure and water weight than a flat crystal. Also the rounded form will cancel reading aberations under water

Is that a Gen bracelet?

E

Yes, its a gen replica :clap2:

no, its a custom construction, as I wrote, this was built using a Josh's 1675 folded bracelet and replacing the native clasp by a Sub clasp with the diver extension

The 2 arrows show the 2 modified parts allowing to join the diver's ext. and the folded link

clasp.jpg

• 2 months later...

I'm glad you did! What a great post. In the past couple of years I moved to Panerai but am now back home to Rolex. So comfortable! I wish I had the talent to do my own mods. I have ruined so may watches trying to mod them.

I love this Comex and the great work that went into it!

I have found a little friend for the Comex, the rare 660ft-200m anchor

Also now I have all the parts to build a second one, thanks to Ephry who sold me an excellent dial !

anchor660.jpg

Edited by Rolexaddict