When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best Value Replicas

Pugwash

I get a few PMs and mails asking for the best value replicas and have decided to start a thread to help n00bs see what replicas are the best value for money. This will help people fill gaps or start collections as most people have one or two watches on their must-have lists, but don't fancy straying into the unknown unless it's cheap.

I'm going to start with the under $120 watches that I reckon should feature in every collection and then ask people for their unbelievable value additions. Unsurprisingly, these watches all feature Asian movements, as they're bang-for-buck perfect in my opinion. My apologies for the 100% recycled photos, but I didn't realise I'd be writing this guide this morning.

The obvious choice, and inspiration for many a Pugwash post, is TTK's Asian 21j Rolex Submariner. He calls it 074, but it's possibly better known as the Noobmariner.

Mine has a replacement bezel insert as I knocked my pearl out desk-diving, aka getting used to a steel watch after years of swatches.

137713-17825.jpg

It also looks good in a NATO strap, itself a cheap bargain.

137713-17826.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't own the number two cheap watch yet, because of my being stupid and forgetting to take TTK's mobile number to Pattaya with me, but I still intend to pick one up through the normal postage method. It's TTK's 075 Rolex Submariner LV and there are loads of pictorials around. Anyone fancy posting a decent photo of this in this thread?

Next must-have bargain is the first of two must-have Panerais. The legend that is the Panerai 111h can be picked up cheap from places like Silix-Prime and River, I believe. While it comes with a crappy strap, that's not a problem as half the fun of owning a Panerai is the straps you need to buy. Nobody ever wears a 111h with the stock cheap replica strap. This watch takes 24mm straps.

Panerai 111h in stock strap:

137713-17827.jpg

The Legend on a Toscana strap

137713-17828.jpg

Number four on my list is, surprisingly, another Panerai. This time, it's the Panerai 183 that costs the same as the 111h from the same dealers. Once again, you'll need to be buying a selection of straps, but this model takes 26mm straps.

Detail on the Panerai 183

137713-17829.jpg

Panerai 183 on an aftermarket strap

137713-17830.jpg

The last watch in my under $120 guide is an Omega. I got this one from Trusty Time and it's the Omega SMP GMT. It's lacking the display caseback of the genuine, but it's a great replica. I'm not too keen on the strap, which means I don't wear it much, but that's a problem with the genuine as well. Omega straps seem too clunky to me, in rep and gen. Once I find a replacement strap I'm happy with, it'll get a lot more wrist-time.

Omega with stock bracelet.

137713-17831.jpg

Will this rubber diver's strap do?

137713-17832.jpg

I hope this has given you some inspiration of what can be had for cheap, and if nothing else, I hope you've enjoyed the photos, even if you've seen them all before. :D

Here are some group pics of some of the featured watches. The first is a 111h vs 183 shot.

137713-17833.jpg

A value-pack

137713-17834.jpg

A pile of straps and Panerais

137713-17835.jpg

Not much to add there. I would have said Nooby and Omega GMT too. I think ANY quality rep with Asian 21J movement is a good deal. The smoothness in sweep isn't that huge... and if the movement fails (highly unlikely) you can always replace it with ETA.

I've had some good deals with preowned watches... from fellow members. Stopwatch reset problem... and the "slipping" hour/minute counter in the old 7750-watches is a typical thing that decreases the resale price. Those can (and should) be found for cheap (like half the price, etc).

My favourite cheap rep is my Ebel 1911 quartz. Paid something like $90 for this 1.5 years ago, works like a charm. Not particularly accurate, but excellent weight and feel. It gets regular wrist time...I usually strap this on when I go to the gym. And I like to have one quartz watch in my collection.

137736-17822.jpg

137736-17823.jpg

I've had some good deals with preowned watches... from fellow members. Stopwatch reset problem... and the "slipping" hour/minute counter in the old 7750-watches is a typical thing that decreases the resale price. Those can (and should) be found for cheap (like half the price, etc).

Yes, second-hand watches from trusted members is a definite way to get bargains.

Excellent post Pugwash. I was going to add my Asian 112h from Silix but you've already mentioned them.

I think initially new members are put off Asian movements, which are generally fine other than the sporadically failing 7750's. I've had a few Asian movements (though never a 7750) and I've never had a problem with time keeping or reliability.

Cheers,

Getting watches used is the number 1 way to go on value-

however, one of the best sub 150$ reps i have is the Jaeger-LeCoultre

recently tried on the gen - its wafer thin - this one is a bit thicker, but i like beefy watches anyway

take this for 120 shipped - put on a hadley roma "aligator grain" leather strap for 23 bucks from Global Watch Band and your styling ready to go. Chances are 99.9 no one you see will have any idea what a jaeger is, let alone realize the watch is too thick. ;)

137793-17793.jpg

the worst value rep is definetly the DW6263, but its also one of the best rep. I dont wanna know how much money (and especialy TIME!!) I put into that baby already :)

Best value Rep is my Submariner from PT (ETA). Why? because it keeps great time, its 100% waterproof and feels very solid and good. I had some troubles with the clasp pin, but that was a quick fix, thanks to ubi!

Great idea and great post, Pug! It deservers a POM nomination.

(And great pics as well, as always...)

Apologies for not adding anything of mine here, I feel that all essentials have been told yet.

Some rare values worth seeking out:

Paul Picot Le Plongeur--very accurate and $110 the last time I saw it offered. Wish they made it in swiss...

Franck Muller Long Island Crazy Hours-- You'll have to make sure the hands match the color of the case (rhodium for SS, rose gold for rose gold, etc) for non-white dial versions, and that you're getting the "thrid generation" movement, but this one is an unusual and accurate piece for less than $120. The most accurate version of this watch is the 1200 Crazy Color Dreams, which has a correctly marked back and reps the only version of the Crazy Hours series Muller makes in steel. This one should have blue hands on all dial variations.

VC Patrimony--Usually around 80 bucks from TTK. I've never owned one, but I remember a review in which the owner said the dial was unbelievably good and that the dimensions were spot on. Sure, 80 bucks for a quartz movement is a debatable value, but the handwind gen is no value either--13k for not alot of gold.

There you go: 30 grand "worth" of watches for 300 bucks.

Great idea and great post, Pug! It deservers a POM nomination.

(And great pics as well, as always...)

Apologies for not adding anything of mine here, I feel that all essentials have been told yet.

sssurfer, you forget to mention your Asian movement Panerai PAM090 Power Reserve model :group:

Archibald : Don't forget the silix Franck Muller Vegas - around $70 or so, which is great value.

Silix also do the Omega Planet Ocean with ETA movement for around $150, which is great value for one of the best reps around.

Edited by Chronus

Great post Pugwash!

I still believe there should be a mandatory readings section for new guys.

And good to see I have done a few right choices in my time here..

Apart from my Rolex aversion, (almost overcome by TTK's LV) I have the watches I wanted now..

I'd like to nominate the PAM 192 as a good buy.. If you can still find them.

138012-17706.jpg

A beautiful watch, my photo does not show it enough. It's not the most accurate rep around, but not many people have seen a real one.

It's a bit different chrono Panerai with shiny blue hands, and a tachymetre scale on the rehaut.

I sort of read this thread as, 'which is the best watch for the price?'

For me it is these three.

All three have asian movements. All are 2 to 3 years old. I wear the SMP alot.

All three run great.

SMP - 100.00 - Adam

007 - 100.00 - Adam

Speedy - 95.00(?) - ttk

For 3 beautiful watches (Auto) 295.00??????? How can you beat that??

138056-17701.jpg

The submariner ETA from almost any dealer. With a bit of time and dremel it looks the dogs nuts. Plus every one of them that has come through my hands has been waterproof plus kept time like a champ.

You can't buy a genuine automatic watch with an ETA and full saphire for $180 anywhere but a faker submariner.

perfect noob buy.

I'm getting a real kick out of my cheap quartz PO chrono from Trusty Andrew.

I know it's not the correct size and it's quartz but the subdial size and layout is closer to gen than the current asian 7750 version.

The steel bracelet it comes with is garbage, so I installed it on a rep black rubber Seamaster strap I got from Andrew awhile ago. It looks really sharp with this strap, sets off the orange bezel beautifully. I love wearing this watch!

Best rep for under $100:

Way under.

Have worn it for most of a year, keeps good time. Has other good qualities. I have other good reps; this gets the wrist time.

you have to be 80 years old to wear that one...and there are not a lot of 80 years old people around here... :lol:

i think that all of the asian 21j mvt powered reps are great buys....even if they have a lot of flaws...if you like them....buy them....good mvt....and cheap one...and they last enough...

you have to be 80 years old to wear that one...and there are not a lot of 80 years old people around here... :lol:

LOL! Maybe so, but then again, I've never seen anyone in real life under 60 wearing any vintage rolex, including the DSRD's etc so popular around here. I say if it's a great deal and a great watch, but it and don't think twice.

sssurfer, you forget to mention your Asian movement Panerai PAM090 Power Reserve model :group:

Hi Chronus, thanks for your consideration. Actually, I don't feel the 090 a BVR (Best Value Replica) because of its date change pusher on a side. And also because of the display caseback that it originally comes with.

But now that you make me think about it, the 027 from silix (PANS057 according with their naming) might be. 80 USD for a power reserve is a bargain, and it also has a matte caseback. But the inscriptions on the back are unconsistent with the gen, and - even if I do not own it - I suspect that it also has the side date change pusher, like all other Asian 21j PR models to my knowledge.

No chance. It's a regular Pugwash article with rehashed photos. Nothing extraordinary. :blink:

Usual Pugwash quality text and pics, but a great new idea. I think that it will become a much sought reference to noobs for a long time now.

Cheapest and best....No Contest, my $109 SS Sub from Paul. 2.5X mag, deep rehaut, hollow links, ETA 2836, excellent pearl and CGs, great out of the box lume...

It is the equal of any $190 + Sub I've seen.

Best Value, no contest, Tag Link Chrono. No Flaws, could (and has) passed as the real thing. No better value than getting a $1500 watch for $250.