When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Acrylic bezel insert - Attempt 1

jmb

Let me preface this by saying I have no intention to become an "insert factory", I'm sure someone else will fill that void. If I can ever get it right I may make available the "raw" engraved discs and folks can sculpt and paint them as desired.

I've milled this one from .0625" Lexan which should make for a virtually unbreakable insert. On this attempt I'm thinking that the font is way too bold on this but just wanting verification. This was milled with a .5mm ball-nose cutter to a depth of .006".

Comments solicited.

post-24124-0-11617300-1319760752.jpg

My first attempt came out too skinny!

thininsert.jpg

But I think I've got it right now. I'll be introducing them next week, if all goes well. By the way, I thought Lexan to be almost indestructible too as it's used for bullet proof glass on jet fighters. But the first one I shipped was broken by the USPS. The 'Neither Rain, Nor Sleet, Nor gloom of night' guys can break anything!

SDC100013.jpg

Edited by JoeyB

That looks super! My hat's off to ya and I can put this project to the back of the shelf with a clear conscience!

I guess I'll have plenty of time to look for a smaller cutter and as far as the color it was the only Red and Blue I had laying around...