When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Omega Replica

Guest TTK

Well its does have the sail number of one of the old New Zealand America's Cup yachts on the dial (NZL-32).. so its not all bad!!!... got to love the printed on yachting timer though

This hasn't got a stop-watch function has it? The dials would be day/date/24 hour.

The reason is it's about a 1000 times less expensive than the orry jine ull....!

Up for sale......nice and colourful as an every day beater....!

I understand it`s wayyyyyyyyyy cheaper ( in fact cheap as chips) and all that and i think it`s very nice design. But why (and this is not to put it down) do they not have ane numerals on the sub dials correct? It are faux sub dials so why not put the correct numbers on there?

I wonder if the 5 blue/red "dots" or "holes" (or whatever they're called) are somehow functional on the genuine?

Omega has also model called "Seamaster Apnea" which looks like this:

139060-17479.jpg

I must say that I have no idea about these.

The reason I'm wondering is because member called "Yellowhat" posted this picture on another forum... and those things look like they could have some sort of functionality... and perhaps the "holes" change color and position on the genuine? Just compare the two different pics of the genuine, other one has three and a half blue "dots" visible, other has just two. That could explain the color difference on the rep.

Either way, the watch is quite a looker. Unique, definitely. Never seen it before.

139060-17480.jpg139060-17481.jpg

I've always called those "The dive timer", By-Tor. I don't know if that's the right term though. It's a 14 minute countdown on diver's watches I've seen.

Here it's simply a regatta countdown function I suppose.

I used to do some match and olympic sailing.

In sailing it comes (count)down to a 10 minute, 5 minute, 2 minute and finally one minute signal (horn and flags) from the starting vessel.

The red/blue markers are for quick glance reference if you are busy as a helmsman in a tight field of competing ships.

For that reason I would like the rep for it has a more precise 2 and 1 minute dial marker, but it lacks the 10 minute signal (stops at 6).

The dots are for the countdown sequence for the start of a regatta. ISAF rules stipulate a variety of starting sequences with starting guns at various intervals, most commonly:

10 minutes to start

5 minutes to start

1 minute to start

start.

On a real starting watch, the timer can be started at the 10 minute gun and the "holes" you see turn from blue to red at the above mentioned intervals.

So you can quickly glance down and see where you are along the starting sequence. This seems completely stupid if you are only going to have one start, but it becomes very important if 5 classes will start at intervals after the 10 minute gun. If your class is starting third, you might have this sequence:

10 minute

5 minute

1 minute

start 1

start 2

start 3

start 4

That's a lot of guns and it gets confusing when you are all sailing at close quarters on a short starting line in heavy wind.

So if you were starting third heat, you would start your watch timer on the 5 minute gun and plan to be on the starting line under full sail as the 4th blue dot turns red.

You get the idea. The intensity of a crowded starting area makes the blue/red dots the easiest way to get the information at a glance with a mechanical watch. Awesome. B)

YellowHat