When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Raising the Bar (Again)

freddy333

I had the camera out, so I thought I would do an update of my old Hanging Daytonas, which has appeared in a number of gen sites' fav pic listings

hangingrolex0282__-2_tonemapped_enhan_champ-1.jpg

L-to-R - 6239 Daytona (Unsigned), 116509 Daytona, 6239 Daytona (Newman), 7016/1 Tudor Sub, 6536/1 Sub, 1665 Sea-Dweller (Double-Red), 1601 Datejust (Mystery), 5514 Sub (Comex), 6239 gold Daytona (Newman), 6542 GMT-Master (Albino), 6202 Turn-O-Graph Deluxe (precursor of the Sub)

• Like 1

Very beautiful. That "mystery" DateJust is the Sammy Davis Jr. one, and has stuck in my mind since seeing it. So I'm building one as we speak. I have the onyx day-Date, but that DateJust is so nice. I thank GOD that my old eyes can't read Daytonas any longer. Saves me all that money.

So, how much for me to fly you to Chicago, round trip, meals, hotel, to take pics of my stuff?

In my opinion, virtually anyone can take great (watch) pics. There are 3 simple keys - read your camera's manual (pay particular attention to the macro section, which is key to getting details of watches), learn how to position the subject to reduce glare on crystals & practice, practice, practice. The vast majority of my pics were taken, handheld, with a 10+ year-old point & shoot (in manual or AV mode)

a80shot.jpg

My editing is generally limited to cropping/scaling the pic to a reasonable size & minor sharpening to bring out details. Remember, too, that for every brilliant pic you see, the photographer probably had to take dozens to get that 1 good shot. Beyond that, a little creativity helps to produce compelling compositions.