When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A Pictorial Review - Rolex Yachtmaster 'Rolesium' 16622 SA3135

justlounging

p1040610a.jpg

My love for the Yachtmaster started whilst going thru BK's section..soon after I started doing some research on this timepiece..to the untrained eye, it looks like just another 'bling' watch, in fact my missus said it looked like just a Tag Heuer :rolleyes:

What I love about the YM was the fact that the dial sparkled and that red seconds hand stood out very smartly against the light greyish textured dial..

That set me off on my mission to find a YM that would make me happy wearing it, without paying gen dollars for it..The BK WM9 YM would easily cost about US$1k but even then, pieces put on the sales section were few and rare..

I look elsewhere to other Trusted Dealers in hope that there would be a YM that would fit the bill for me but none managed to..I kept on searching and did so for a few months, until I stumbled across this thread from PatekFreak (RG):

http://repgeek.com/s...ad.php?t=152534

He did a nice review on this and I got hooked almost immediately..could this be better than what was offered by the cartel?

I PM-ed Angus and soon enough, with his assurance that the SA3135 movement was reliable, I placed my order and awaited the arrival of the watch..

5 days later, the watch was on my wrist and looked the part..I am now currently contemplating installing gen dial and hands..

Another geek, speedyralph, had gone this route..you can click on his thread here:

http://repgeek.com/s...ad.php?t=153735

The movement is currently gaining about 10secs per week..or about 1.5secs/day..that's good enough for me..I couldn't be happier :D

Enough said, here are the pictures of the SA3135 Rolex Yachtmaster 'Rolesium' 16622 from Angus (PureTime)..

p1040612a.jpg

Rehaut thickness and depth seem alright to me..no wokky rehaut or misaligned engraving here.. :p

p1040613a.jpg

Dial looks really good and whenever I'm wearing it, I always am trying to catch that sparkle on the dial..this happens almost everytime I wear it.. ;)

p1040614aa.jpg

Here's a Gen dial for comparison:

ymr6.jpg

Markers look well-sized, font looks crisp..Red lettering seems a bit brighter on the rep..same goes with the seconds hand..not to sure if it is due to the lighting though..you guys be the judge.. :)

Datewheel and cyclops are where they should be..although the datewheel could be adjusted just alil to the right to be more centered..

p1040615a.jpg

p1040621a.jpg

Bezel is bi-directional and has the triple-lock, like the gen..seems well-machined with defined edges..

p1040616a.jpg

p1040617a.jpg

Crystal height is slightly higher compared with the gen..

Gen:

ymr7.jpg

Rep:

p1040663p.jpg

Bezel insert is very nicely done..this shows the polished and satin finish on it..

Gen:

ymr5.jpg

Rep:

p1040660z.jpg

Crownguards (in my opinion) are quite well replicated..this pic also shows that the rep Crown is slightly thicker than the gen..

Gen:

ymr4.jpg

Rep:

p1040659.jpg

Clasp is also well made and engravings are quite deep..SEL bracelet fit perfectly onto the case and screws are nice and flushed..

p1040622ac.jpg

p1040624a.jpg

p1040625a.jpg

p1040661f.jpg

p1040627a.jpg

This is the same with the caseback and its engravings..

p1040629a.jpg

p1040651a.jpg

Here's the SA 3135:

p1040650am.jpg

p1040649a.jpg

Power Reserve has easily gone more than 36hours..didn't test it any further though..

Handwinding the movement is slightly louder compared with my gen 3185 movement..date and time changes feel very solid and firm..very comparable to a swiss ETA in my opinion..

Lume shot taken after 10secs exposure to UV light:

Daylight

p1040633a.jpg

Semi-dark

p1040643a.jpg

Dark

p1040644a.jpg

Shutter speed for the lume shots are between 0.5 and 2secs..

Gen Lume Shot:

ymr13.jpg

This clasp will go in to match the YM..I think it'll look great..

p1040609pg.jpg

p1040664.jpg

am also looking for a SS Daytona Clasp..so if you have any you can spare, pls PM me.. :)

Some additional facts about the Gen Yachtmaster 16622:

Date of production:

. 1992 - present, Mens models

. 1994 - present, Ladies and 35mm models

Case (mm) - 41.5

Thickness (mm) - 11.6

Bezel (mm) - 40

Crystal (mm) - 30

Bracelet width (mm) - 20

Clasp width(mm) - 16.5

Power Reserve:

. ~44 hours (on caliber 3135)

Weight:

40mm - 146 grams

Rep weighed in at - 147grams

p1040684v.jpg

This is just 1gram heavier, but do take into consideration that a different clasp is being used and I removed 2 link from the bracelet..In my opinion, using the original clasp would make the rep even closer to the weight of the gen..

Here's the obligatory wristie:

p1040655a.jpg

And this to show the dial texture in the sun:

img0592nn.jpg

Happy Holidays!!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The great photos allow a close look at the movement and it looks real good. The purple on the reversers might be hub caps but that's fine. Also looks like it even has the rotor axle release lever so you can r/r the rotor without removing the autowind assembly.

Looks to be a big step ahead of asianetaclones too.

Like to be 'a fly on the wall' when a big wig rolex exec gets one to look at. :tease:

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

It's been a while since I last wrote about this YM..in that time, i had been searching for either a gen YM dial/handset or considering to get the dial/handset relume..

Only recently, there was a member who was selling the SA3135 YM dial/handset so I jumped onto it and got it sent to a fellow member here, Strodda..I had seen some of his relume projects and so PM-ed him to enquire if he wanted to have a go at this YM set..He agreed and the SA3135 YM set was mailed to his residence..

Communications was great and I was floored when S posted up the relume pics here:

http://www.replica-w...8.html?t=116728

I finally got the dial set and sent it off to my trusty local watch-smith to have the dial/handset swapped in..barely half a day later, I got a call from my watch-smith to pick up the watch..

Here are some glam shots of my relume SA3135 Yachtmaster..there are a few faint scratches on the installed minute/hour hands..nothing too serious but I'll most probably be sending the original set for a relume with S soon..

Enjoy the pics!

p1060244z.jpg

p1060246e.jpg

p1060245h.jpg

p1060247g.jpg

Here is the Relumed dial with the original dial from PT:

p1060248k.jpg

Comparison of the 'whiteness' of uncharged lume in the Gen Exp II & SA3135 YM:

p1060249o.jpg

Gen lume is definitely much whiter but without putting them side by side, this slight off-white/greenish tint can't really be detected..

I also did a comparison with my Gen Exp II and my Noob sub fitted with TC dial..*note: Camera Focus was fixed onto the Gen Exp II.*

In natural light:

Noob Sub with TC dial - SA3135 YM Relume - Gen Polar Exp II

p1060250v.jpg

In a slightly dimmed room, lume is glowing on all three watches:

p1060251c.jpg

Notice that the Gen Lume is much cleaner and shines a tad brighter..

Below shot is taken in a much darker room, with minimum light source

p1060253d.jpg

All in all, I am very happy with the end result..S, I'll be sending the spare hands to you shortly..