When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How do you smell?

thamayor214

thanks to you guys.. i start to notice of how the people around me smell and like other things in life i am trying to build a collection

photo-144.jpg

question to those of you experienced guys:

i read somewhere that you can wear a 'base' and then add a lighter one on top. does that really work? i have always thought that you can only wear 1 and 2 will mess things up. is there any rules to this?

newbie here. any inputs is appreciated.

thanks,

Flex

thanks to you guys.. i start to notice of how the people around me smell and like other things in life i am trying to build a collection

photo-144.jpg

i read somewhere that you can wear a 'base' and then add a lighter one on top. does that really work? i have always thought that you can only wear 1 and 2 will mess things up. is there any rules to this?

thanks,

Flex

Yes, I mix and match all the time. One of the brands I have found to mix well is Jo Malone. Another good one is Bond No. 9, however it's possible to mix and match with any brand. You just need to find the fragrances that go well together. Some of the more complex fragrances will be hard to mix.

photo-144.jpg

thanks,

Flex

I say "no rules". But educating your nose to the different notes and how they react to each other In vital.

My first combining of two fragrances was D&G Pour Homme and D&G The One. The Tobacco notes of each complement one another Imo.

Some of my favorite notes are leather tobacco coffee/espresso and a boozy sent...say like a really good scotch/bourbon.

I resently have layerd Theirry Mugler's Pure Malt(boozy) Pure havane (tobacco) Pure Coffee(espresso). Duh ;) They go so very well together...and It makes the sent your own. This Is also a great way to find a signature sent.

I also like to throw some John Varvatos Vintage and John varvatos by John varvatos Into the mix. Some nice leather and dried fruit notes to go with the Tobacco etc.

I would suggest that you spend some time at Basenotes.com and Fragrantica.com. Some very good Infomation and reviews at these fragrance communites. :)

Let us know what works for you....good luck.:)

Mike

thanks for the replies guys. does the "base" need to be a long lasting one assuming that combining of two makes the scene last longer? or, it is only to achieve a unique scent of my own? on this note, i always buy the newest perfume available. i cannot stand those perfumes that have been on market for years. i work in the City. and alot of guys around me do put on those popular ones.

thanks for the replies guys. does the "base" need to be a long lasting one assuming that combining of two makes the scene last longer? or, it is only to achieve a unique scent of my own? on this note, i always buy the newest perfume available. i cannot stand those perfumes that have been on market for years. i work in the City. and alot of guys around me do put on those popular ones.

I don't think combining scents makes a scent last longer per se. The usual base notes used for longevity are the woodier/greener scents ranging from cedar wood to oak moss. There are always effective ways to try and get more usage out of any scent by buying scentless lotion and applying it gently on the areas you spray your cologne. You can try that.

Equally, try and buy fragrances with higher concentration of perfume oils. They are often listed as EDP (Eau de Parfum), they last an extra 2/3 hours perhaps.

What kind of scents do you like? We could try and name a few that may interest you.

A sprits on your shirt or article of clothing can also Increase the longivity of a fragrance. But be carfull of the the darker juices...some may stain your shirt/clothing

I sometimes spritz a little on a [censored] or sweater..but make sure to use the lighter citrus based sents. I have not stained any clothing as of yet. Remember you just want a mist...so keep the sprayer at least a foot a way when spraying.

Mike

A sprits on your shirt or article of clothing can also Increase the longivity of a fragrance. But be carfull of the the darker juices...some may stain your shirt/clothing

I sometimes spritz a little on a [censored] or sweater..but make sure to use the lighter citrus based sents. I have not stained any clothing as of yet. Remember you just want a mist...so keep the sprayer at least a foot a way when spraying.

Mike

I don't know about spraying anything on my shits. :)

Mike

I don't know about spraying anything on my shits. :)

See Phil...you learn something new everyday around here.

People are always telling me.."hey Mike...thats some pretty good [censored] you got there"

Mike

So if someone asks you can say your [censored] smells like roses.

Hey guys....picked up a bottle of Allure Homme Sport by Chanel last night at Nordstroms. I got bit of a discount with the buyer rewards program.

I have always heard good things about this fragrance..but untill now I have never tried It. Well Im so happy I did....It is a very fresh clean creamy sent....outstanding fragrance.

Imo this can be worn year around and In any situation. At the office or night out...or anything else you can think of...extremley versatile. Chanel says the bottle was Inspired by there J12 watch.

Marc shares his thoughts on Allure Homme Sport.

What kind of scents do you like? We could try and name a few that may interest you.

You guys really got good nose.. i m still learning to differentiate the scent. i can't tell which is which still.

recently i came across this one.. the scent is so interesting..whichi s why i bought that bottle

Hey guys....picked up a bottle of Allure Homme Sport by Chanel last night at Nordstroms. I got bit of a discount with the buyer rewards program.

I have always heard good things about this fragrance..but untill now I have never tried It. Well Im so happy I did....It is a very fresh clean creamy sent....outstanding fragrance.

Imo this can be worn year around and In any situation. At the office or night out...or anything else you can think of...extremley versatile. Chanel says the bottle was Inspired by there J12 watch.

One of my all-time favourite scents. Perfect in all aspects.

They also just released:

http://www.fragrantica.com/news/Chanel-Allure-Homme-Sport-Eau-Extreme-2987.html

I am wearing Nasomatto Absinth today.