When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Chronograph - Do you use it?

Adeodatus

I recognize the design and horological value of chronographs and I like how ballanced the dial is on such a watch. I'm not much of a chronograph person myself, though. I like simple designs and although I do own a chronograph I've never actualy used it, except one instance to time egg boiling :) . When I run or bike I always use a digital watch, in fear of destoying it, and as a military veteran I, personally, find using mechanical watch in a mission or in training a bit laughable and so called "military" watches a gimmick.

Never in my life have I seen a mechanical watch used in a real battlefield situation or in training (G-Shock have always been the tool of choice for us). There are many reasons for that: lume is unaccaptable because it always glows and may compromise you at night, the movement is too fragile, chrono is less accurate than a simple stopper, readability, etc.

Having said that I recognize that some people may find chronos useful and I'm interested in other's opinion. So, do you actually use a chronograph, or is it more of a nice-to-have feature?

Two 7750's - zero chrono usage.

Given the choice between a chrono and non chrono version of a watch I'm always inclined to go for the non chrono as there's less to go wrong.

Most action my chrono will ever see will be to time a boiled egg!

I use my A7750 chronos from time to time....just to make sure there working alright. I have never had a problem with the 7750 while using the stopwatch function.

If I actually have to time something...which Is very rare...I use my G-shocks with the 1/10 totalizer

Sometimes, but not very often, since most of my cooking now is done in a toaster oven with it's own timer, but in the past, I have used a combination of chronograph and timing bezel while cooking meals with different ingredients/cooking times :)

I love using the chronograph, but experiences with the Asian 7750 have left me with the apprehension that the upper pusher is electrified. Now I stick to timing things on more dependable movements, like Lemanias, Poljots, and well-serviced Valjoux 7734s.

The chrono on my Valjoux 72 Daytona build runs great, but I feel like I'm playing Russian Roulette!

@Maxman - what's the big deal on G Shocks? They look Fugly to me! :huh:

They just happen to very reliable/accurate and very affordable watches. This Is my go to watch when at the beach/swimming etc.

Maybe not the best looking watch In the world..but It gets the job done.

Mike

My iPhone and or android is much better for the task.

You guys are all wussies. Your 7750 won't break. Unless your playing some sort of violent sport. Sometimes I let the chrono run so I have the large sweeping seconds rocking.

Also, there have been many of these threads over the years. General consensus is no :) first time I have seen so many people afraid to turn it on :)

I use mine a TON... on my GEN's (non-A7750).

I use mine as follows:

• Track my parking meter use. I live in a major city, so when the meter says I have 2:00, I hit start.
  • Time airplane flights. Usually wheels up-wheels down, when the Capt. says "Our Flight Time will Be" (Gives me final Bathroom warning).
  • Grilling. (i.e. Salmon 9 minutes (5min on skin, 4min flip side)
  • At allergist. I get allergy shots and have to wait :20 then show them my arm.
  • (Telemeter) Time distance of Thunderstorms (or Artillery)

So, for me I use them. I also use my Dive Bezels for the same reasons often.

As for "Military Use" pre-digital age, having a Telemeter instead of a Tachymeter had its advantages. Still might actually.

I've had the same G-shock for 12 years. The watch took a hit by a shrapnel and still worked for years afterwards. A super-ugly watch, but I guess it's like a sledgehammer - it gets its f***king job done.

i had one of those in the 80's, i remember it was a big present for me. - I lost track of it, not sure where it ended up.

Adeodatus, I have exactly the same approach than yours. I love the design of chronographs, but I NEVER use them. No need, in my kitchen for cooking I have a timer.

And for sports, I have a digital watch : light, water resistant, big digits easy to read even whilst running.

Paul

Edited by Bardamu

No need to fear any A7750 chrono, they are bullet proof and the reality is that 99% of the parts that make up the chrono are running ALL THE TIME, even with the Chrono OFF.

So it's a misunderstanding to think that by not using the chrono your actually reducing the chance of a failure of the movement.

I use all of mine, all the time, dozens of times during the day...and I have been doing this for 6 years, no problems, no hand slipping, no defects, ever.

So use your chrono, otherwise wear a non-chrono model :)

On an unserviced chrono, typically the chrono seconds and minute timer return spring is too strong and not lubricated (so it hits the heart cams really hard), this can cause the seconds hand to slip, added to this problem you have many seconds hands that are defective and not secured to the pipe correctly. These problems will cause the hand to slip and not reset at "12"....

So to minimize the center seconds hand from slipping when you reset the chrono, you SHOULD only reset when the center seconds hand is located between 10 and 2 on the dial face.

On all of my chono's, they have been serviced, and the hands have been repaired, so I routinely reset from the 6 o'clock position or anywhere else I feel like resetting, hand slippage is not and never has been an issue. These watches also have been serviced and I have corrected the defect with the reset hammer and spring.

I use the chrono fairly often, not only for mundane cooking, but for when I go running (i often use a G-Shock but sometimes use a rep), when I take my 2yr old boy to the pool (to be sure that he doesnt get exhausted), and also when using paid car parking etc.

Oh, did I mention that most of my 7750 reps are ETA powered? lol

I hardly ever, ever use the chrono on an a7750!!