When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Met a real watch expert last night..................Not!

browngo1

I was standing at the bar last night wearing my Skyland Avenger when one of the regulars, who is an expert on everything, says, "Nice watch. It's quite chunky isn't it?" I said, "Yes. It's one of my favourites."

He said, "I collect watches. I must have over a hundred." He went on, "They're not all expensive. I normally buy one or two when I'm on holiday. I did buy an expensive one last year. Have you heard of Ingersoll?" I said I had.

He asked if he could have a closer look at my Skyland, so I took it off and handed it to him. He looked it all over and said "Oh, it's an Air Force watch." I asked him what he meant and he said "I can't see it properly with these glasses, but I can see the wings on the dial."

I said, "No, it's not. It's a Breitling." He replied, "Oh right, I haven't heard of them!" :fool:

Visiting a friend last night I was educated by an expert that only Rolex use real gold in their movements and they can only be opened at the factory because the tools needed to perform this magic cost millions :rudolph:

- he also informed me that the watch has a life time guarantee never to go wrong or Rolex will replace it. All that in one conversation. :gun2:Sadly I wasn't carrying a gun.

I usually just walk away - or tell them it's a $18 fake from a Turkish market. - Funny how it turns people to say "That's not fake, it's a gen - admit it" :crazy:

I always play dumb when someone asks me a watch question. I was at a restaurant recently and a diner noticed my 5127G Calatrava. First word out of his mouth was that's a wonderful replica. I said yes I paid quite a bit for it, I wanted the best replica in the world. I smirked and he walked away. I noticed on his wrist was a Submariner 16610 which looked to be authentic. I am pretty sure he was trying to show it off, but I wouldn't give him the chance.

• Like 1

I had the opposite a couple of weeks ago. I was out and about and stopped at our bakery shoppe and a fellow eyes my rep omega AT and said, "Oh, does that have the coaxial movement?". I nearly [censored] my pants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, so I give my cousin a Pam gmt like back in 06. He is in the music buis. I'm not bullshitting, he is chilling with Alice Cooper and a few people backstage. Alice is a Pam Collector. So someone else asked my cous If it is real. He took it off, handed it to Alice - he looked it -qup and down and said, oh yeah, it's real :). Keeping in mind my cous is not a roady, he has a production company. And this was with the old school rep strap. But heavily worn in. Alice had no reason to kiss his ass. :)

Another story. I met a dude at Disney while we were waiting for our kids to take pics. I said nice watch :) and I showed him mine. We were both wearing AP i had the new rubber clad in a black dial. He had the same watch without the rubberized bezel. He said he really wanted the black one. But there was a three month waiting list - in whatever country he was going back to.

Now, I know exactly what was available because they were super new and only a handfull of models had the subdial look.

He says - you wanna trade? I had to maintain complete control not laughing. I mean we were hold the watches right next to each other and we took the others to look it over.

Of course I didn't trade. But i also didn't have the heart to send him to a rep site either. Quick 15-20k in my pocket. Which by now I could use :) i would have wasted it away before then anyway? Def my best rep story to date :)

• Like 1

Ok, so I give my cousin a Pam gmt like back in 06. He is in the music buis. I'm not bullshitting, he is chilling with Alice Cooper and a few people backstage. Alice is a Pam Collector. So someone else asked my cous If it is real. He took it off, handed it to Alice - he looked it -qup and down and said, oh yeah, it's real :). Keeping in mind my cous is not a roady, he has a production company. And this was with the old school rep strap. But heavily worn in. Alice had no reason to kiss his ass. :)

Another story. I met a dude at Disney while we were waiting for our kids to take pics. I said nice watch :) and I showed him mine. We were both wearing AP i had the new rubber clad in a black dial. He had the same watch without the rubberized bezel. He said he really wanted the black one. But there was a three month waiting list - in whatever country he was going back to.

Now, I know exactly what was available because they were super new and only a handfull of models had the subdial look.

He says - you wanna trade? I had to maintain complete control not laughing. I mean we were hold the watches right next to each other and we took the others to look it over.

Of course I didn't trade. But i also didn't have the heart to send him to a rep site either. Quick 15-20k in my pocket. Which by now I could use :) i would have wasted it away before then anyway? Def my best rep story to date :)

You sure his wasn't a rep and he wasn't trying to scam you?

You sure his wasn't a rep and he wasn't trying to scam you?

Ahh, my young padowans. For whatever it says about my life, I have checked perfect clones everyday since 2006. I have a very good mental catalogue of what's out. I like to know, people ask me, hey what's a good dress watch for instance and maybe one day I'll get my zenith grail.

It's much more difficult now, but in the now cliche "old days" there just wasn't that much hitting. There were only 2 variations in the roo. Just 2 rubber clads. And there was no "h" or "n" factory, sometimes updates from watches would come. But there was no arms race to pop out pams. Not like now.

This guy had a hard bezel with rubber strap. With correct sub-dial spacing. It was just not available. :) funny enough this the model my father has :)

It's one of those things. Rolexers stare at the pearl and cgs. Omegaers have problems with happy feet. I really like AP. I have friends with a few models and I have tried on gens in jewelry stores all over the world :) When you become a quasi expert in a small handful of brands, you know what's up. If I saw a Pam in 2006, first thing I would look for is the pin. If flush, 90% chance it's real (assuming other things) but the pin was the easiest give away. Then those thin f-in crowns, hated them. Also like some of the 7750 AP you just know what a 7750 looks like, you can spot it in a dozen diff brands from across an entire store.

I think I mentioned this in a previous post. I walked into my watchsmith's, wearing the MBW 5512 that ChiMan modded a few months ago. One of the guys waiting -a big Rolex collector- did a double take, then asked if he could see it. I took it off, and he examined it closely for almost five minutes. I was worried he'd notice the stubby lugs or the smallish lugholes, but he seemed hypnotized by the 4-line gilt dial (by NDT)! Finally, he looked up at me, held out his wrist, and said, "I'll trade you my Triple-Six Sea-Dweller, and write a check for the difference."

I had some friends there who knew what the watch was. They smiled, but I just stammered, "Er... It's, uh, not for sale." The guy kept looking at my watch, muttering expletives. More than once he said, "I'll write you the check right now. I'm serious." Eventually, I ended his agony and took the caseback off: SEARS ROEBUCK 2451.

"SON OF A [censored]!"

I think I mentioned this in a previous post. I walked into my watchsmith's, wearing the MBW 5512 that ChiMan modded a few months ago. One of the guys waiting -a big Rolex collector- did a double take, then asked if he could see it. I took it off, and he examined it closely for almost five minutes. I was worried he'd notice the stubby lugs or the smallish lugholes, but he seemed hypnotized by the 4-line gilt dial (by NDT)! Finally, he looked up at me, held out his wrist, and said, "I'll trade you my Triple-Six Sea-Dweller, and write a check for the difference."

I had some friends there who knew what the watch was. They smiled, but I just stammered, "Er... It's, uh, not for sale." The guy kept looking at my watch, muttering expletives. More than once he said, "I'll write you the check right now. I'm serious." Eventually, I ended his agony and took the caseback off: SEARS ROEBUCK 2451.

"SON OF A [censored]!"

Awesome! Was the NDT dial redone in anyway? Great one, M! :)

Sent from my SGSII

You are not going to like this one. I certainly didn't like it at all...

I was having a meeting downtown today and spotted a very fancy IWC AD shop. I had half an hour to spear so I went in to check out Portuguese 38.

I was welcomed by a very nice 50+ year old, amazingly beautiful lady with a heavy french accent and was offered a cup of coffee before she showed me the Portu. By the way never have a coffee in AD shop, it's an AD trick, if you have a coffee there you can not say I need a cup of coffee to think about it and to excuse yourself. Anyway, she bring the Portu in and I look at at, mesmerized, of course - I love that watch - but also to mentally learn all the details. She smiles, with her french accent: "Try it on."

And that where my heart drops. I suddenly realize that I'm wearing my rep Mark XVI. Totally forgot about it! "Adeodatus, you bloody idiot, you will never be able to return to this shop. Ever. Haven't you learnt anything on RWG?!"

Obviously it was too late, so I'm awkwardly trying to remove my rep from the wrist, but she spots the watch.

"Oh sir, I see you are an IWC customer?"

"Yeah" - Isay while trying to slip my watch into the jacket pocket

"Can I see it?"

Damn it, woman haven't you done enough!? I pass my rep to her, while trying to play it cool and try the Portu on.

"Fabulous watch" I almost scream at her, while passing the Portu back.

"Yes, yours too" she says, "I love the watch, but we've never had one in stock. Congratulations."

"Th..thankkk you" - I mumble, while grabbing the watch out of her hands and literally running outside.

"Sir, wait, what about your coffee?"

Coffee? I need a focking shot of whiskey now, lady, or ten.

"Please visit us again, if you decide to purchase the Portuguese"

So 3 heart attacks and one brain hemorrhage later I was finally out, looking for the nearest open pub to have my shot of whiskey.

Conclusion:

1. Even AD sales person can be an "expert"

2. Never ever ever ever bring your rep to AD shop, if you want to live a long and healthy life.

3. I need to change my nickname here to Idiotdatus.

The meeting went well, though :)

Em, you missed a few of my lessons :)

1. It's not the watch, it's the attitude. Don't putt it in your pocket, don't be shy.

2. AD's are sales not watch enthusiasts and not watchmakers, and if they are, they are generally brainwashed about how their stainless steal is better than Chinese.

3. The point about RWG and ADs is, not to bring attention, however, it's slightly outdated since, super reps are hardly underground. And google replica whatever you will find a scary amount of info from RWG popping up.

4. We don't want people with the attitude of boasting about reps and walking into AD with the mission of testing them. Its just not a smart thing for any of us.

5. Most importantly, the reasons for the above, no sales person is going to call you out on a rep because: they are trying to sell you a product and never insult someone your trying to sell to and; the owner of the rep may not know it's a rep and they were swindled, and, never upset someone you are trying to sell to.

No reason to drink, just be cool. Dont go looking for trouble or it will find you, but also just be cool, pop the watch off, it's no big deal and put it on the pad.